Your wheel, naked!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your wheel, naked!

I decided I liked the look of the black wheels, so I stripped mine to put on some new paint. What I found was a beautiful bare naked wheel underneath- which I have polished up a bit and waxed with black wax. Very nice, don't you think? Why did Honda hide this under grey paint?

I bought the harbor freight tire changer- not great, you still need motorcycle tire irons, it is easy to scratch the wheel, but it works good for this.

I like!
    '88 Hawk GT
    '89 Harley FXSTC
    2008 Yamaha V-Star 1300 tourer

http://www.hawkgtforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=948

"...my performance ain't perfect, but its loud, and its fast..." -Widespread Panic

i just finished stripping my rims on the rc51

i agree i like the look as well

1988 & 1991 hawkgt, 2005 rc51

Comment

I am doing mine right now will have it finish for the NorthWest road races in Northern Ireland...Hopefully

Once I got the paint striped and sanded down the pits there is amazing quality aluminium in it.

Comment

I used aircraft paint stripper- the paint just comes off. I had to do it three times to get all of it but it requires very little effort with a brush. My wheels, which are on an 88 bike (I found out I had an 88, not an 89) had very little corrosion. I could have left the wheels as were after the stripping without polishing the edge that was polished at the factory but I like the mirror finish. As for the sand casted center area, I contemplated clear coating but decided just to use a black wax on it, which darkened it to look similar to the original paint, and which should help keep it from corroding now that there is no paint on it. In all it took about a days work to do both wheels.
        '88 Hawk GT
        '89 Harley FXSTC

"...my performance ain't perfect, but its loud, and its fast..." -Widespread Panic

Comment

That picture is from the middle of the first sanding which is nearly finished. just a few spots to do by hand. I went on to do bits of the second sanding(wet sanding) and what a difference it makes.
          To remove the pits in the centre, I had to use a hand drill with a stripping wheel.

Be very carefully if more pits start appearing then you must stop and do something else

Comment

Which make of tyre fitting stand is that? It looks like the sort of thing I need...

Love the stripped alloy, I might do that too

Comment

Yeah my front one came clean like that but the rear was another story. So I left my front lip polished and painted the center black and just blacked out the rear.
              Rob
              88 Street Hawk
              F2 tank, Aztec8 dual 4", Duc seat and CF cowl, Stage 3 jet, Uni Pods, M4 stubby, SV650 clips, controls & fuel pump, GSXR front mc and CFB1000 front caliper, F3 forks upper and internals, Penske 8983, Gino RCR, rear jump plates & R6 pegs and Vapor gauge...
              04 CRF50 pit bike and stunt runner...
              91 Suzuki GSF400 Bandit (she's a runner now...)

Comment

I'm working on the rear, while on the bike! I found out that the aircraft stripper eats the rubber of the air inlet

So far it looks to be not quite as polished as the front- but I will fix that

The tire changer is one I bought off ebay- exactly the same that harbor freight sells. I have to point out that the instructions are not good at all- so to avoid what I went through use the bead breaker on the bottem to break the beads before you mount it on the top part. The top holds the rim while you go to town on it with the tire irons. I found that doing it this way scratched the paint on the edge of the rims. I might throw it back up on ebay and just take my future tire changes to the shop.
                http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-C...spagenameZWDVW
                '88 Hawk GT
                '89 Harley FXSTC

Comment

Working...
                X