Removing gas cap w/o key

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing gas cap w/o key

I recently purchased a tank on ebay and it did not come with a key. What would be the best method of removing the cap?

Thank you

Yusef Khan
    Honda Hawk->1st bike
    2000 miles in 1st two weeks of riding with Hawk.

Some locksmiths can make a key if you supply the lock I think.

.. or you could just drill the lock mechanism out.
    '95 ShaftHawk 650P>
    Front: Bros Mk2 front wheel; Mk1 forks; MetalGear disc; NC30 caliper; cb1 yoke.
    Breathing: Hacked up and shortened ART tri-can on collector and link pipe from DemonTweeks.
    Other: RGV bars; DefT dash; modded subframe; modded rearsets; relocated ignition.

'91 Bros 650 Mk1>
    Currently off the road.

Comment

did you try taking the bolts off?

if that doesnt work (i dont think it will) your only option would be to drill the lock out
      1988 & 1991 hawkgt, 2005 rc51

Comment

First question is, do you need the Cap that came with the tank? and do you have another cap to go on? If so drill the barrel if not you will need
        to get another key but as you probably dont have the barrel no this could be a problem. Take it to a locksmith or local Criminal genius to see if they can pick the lock.

To replace barrel follow this link:-
        http://www.hawkgtforum.com/viewtopic...highlight=leak
        "Life may begin at 40, but it doesn't get real interesting until about 150."

• '88 in Candy Flair Blue + '90 in Italian Red
        • Ohlins Rear Shock
        • F2 front wheel
        • VFR750 rear wheel
        • Hiperform seat&headers
        • MSMotorsport Seat Cowl
        • Steve Lenac Tokico six pot caliper

Comment

I have the gas cap and the key from my hawk. From what i understand the cap will fit the F2 tank perfetly. But in order to "drill out" the key what kind of bit do i need, and what is the best way of doing that?

Thank you

Yusef Khan
          Honda Hawk->1st bike
          2000 miles in 1st two weeks of riding with Hawk.

Comment

Hey Yusef,
            Where abouts do you live? I'm in the bay area so if you live close I can pick the lock for you. If not, be careful when you drill the lock out. Make sure there is no gas in the tank, use about the same size drill bit as the lock cylinder.
            Either that or just bring the gas tank to a locksmith and pay $20-40 to unlock it. It will be worth it... trust me.

p.s. if you really are determined PM me and I will tell you how you can get it off, but it isn't going to be pretty or easy.
            You know your a hawkaddict when you check ebay and craigslist every hour for parts to upgrade

Comment

Working...
            X