Rear seat cowl attaching...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear seat cowl attaching...

I have my unfinished german seat cowl on the bike, and since the whole bike could use some kind of unified paint job, which I may or may not do some day, I figure it fits in fine. But I am having some issues with it- it has fallen off twice, once in my driveway and then again yesterday in the middle of a busy road. Fortunately no one ran over it but it did suffer a chip on the edge and alot of road rash (good thing I didn't pain it yet). My question is- anyone else having this problem? What have any of you done to secure it better than the fricrtion fit?
    '88 Hawk GT
    '89 Harley FXSTC
    2008 Yamaha V-Star 1300 tourer

http://www.hawkgtforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=948

"...my performance ain't perfect, but its loud, and its fast..." -Widespread Panic

Hey! I would like to see that!

How about some velcro?
    BIKES: Honda: RC31 Racebike/ NT650 Streetbike, DUCATI: None at the moment.
    Former MSF Rider Coach / Trackday Instructor/ Expert Roadracer #116
    "I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow."

Comment

Damn... you're kidding, right?

Mine's at the painter's as we speak...
      1988 "BlackHawk" project
      1989 "RallyHawk" is Chuck's now!
      1988 "The Gray" Tempest Gray Metallic stocker

I can't tell you how peaceful it is. Shinya Kimura
      People who know ride Hawks. Riot

Comment

Ya I noticed that but have done 1000 miles on it with out any problems. It moved back about an inch when over 100 mph but no big problem .If you have the leather strip the defines the two seats push the seat cowl over it for a tighter fit. that is what I did.

Comment

Originally Posted by douglas.thompson
          Really mine was done with a rattle can.

Comment

Originally Posted by HypnoToad
            Originally Posted by douglas.thompson
            Really mine was done with a rattle can.
            Mine was too... now, cross-reference my other posts about how crappy it was to discover that rattlecan paint isn't catalyzed and doesn't resist gas, which I spilled (more like poured... the nozzle fell off) all over the tank on my first fill-up post-paint (which up to that point looked awesome and I was really happy with it), or that 1/16" buildup of paint is not how it's done...

I decided it was best to leave that shit to the professionals until I learned to do it right...
            1988 "BlackHawk" project

Comment

I did push it over the strap.... but I also use a courier bag which hangs over my shoulder and sits on and sometimes pushes on the cowl.... which is most likley the real problem. I was thinking that maybe some binder clips would do the trick- I'll try it and see if it works. I don't think velcro would work because other than along the bottem edge the cowl doesn't really make much contact with the seat.

Yea Doc, we gotta go riding!
              '88 Hawk GT
              '89 Harley FXSTC

"...my performance ain't perfect, but its loud, and its fast..." -Widespread Panic

Comment

if it was me, i would probably attach some tabs to the fiberglass so that it slips on around the seat... then the seat clips down like normal.
                only problem i see with that is the fact that you press on the cowl to push the pin of the seat down...
                i donno how strong that cowl is.

Comment

That is how the cowl attaches... fiberglass tabs clip around the bottom of the seat.

As for strength... I wouldn't press down on the center of it, where it's more succeptible to cracking - I'd go for the edges, where it's likely to be stronger/more supported.
                  1988 "BlackHawk" project

Comment

Damn... mine is super tight. Have never had this issue. Couldn't have asked for a better fit.

Bill

Comment

My seat does have some little indentations from where a prior owner had some straps or something- which may lead to to the less than perfect, tight fit. I'm going to try the binder clips, which are just lettle metal clips for holding thick amounts of paper together but in this application they would add something to stop the fiberglass tabs from sliding back. I'll post up a pic or two when I get it together.
                      '88 Hawk GT
                      '89 Harley FXSTC

Comment

Sounds like the problem is your particular seat, and not the cowl?
                        1988 "BlackHawk" project

Comment

If no one else has had this problem it must be my seat. Still, you would hate to lose it on the freeway!
                          '88 Hawk GT
                          '89 Harley FXSTC

Comment

Maybe rivet/epoxy an L shaped bracket to the backside of the front edge... something that would tuck under the seat strap.

Bill

Comment

Hi Cycleman, you actually need to have the passenger strap
                              around the rear seat for a real tight fit...
                              I did the same mistake though of discarding that strap before

I have a complete stocker seat left over...in case you need that strap

Comment

Working...
                              X