170 rear tire?? yes or no

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

170 rear tire?? yes or no

Does a 170 rear tire fit with no modifications meaning it doesnt rub anything?

I have a 120/ 60 on the front.

I think it would look better but how noticeable is it in terms of cornering and handling?

I ll be doing some aggressive canyon carving but I wont be taking it to the track( I have another bike for the track) I consider myself a pretty skilled rider as I can run mid pack in the race group of a track day.

Just wondering if anyone switched from a 160 to a 170 and didnt like it....

As far as I know, a 170 on the rear is probably not advised... it doesn't fit within the range of the stock rim size and neither does a 120 on stock rims (technically... even though people run them). As far as clearance goes... I know for sure that a 170 will clear the swingarm b/c I used to have one on my old hawk (although I had a VFR rear wheel). THe other thing to is that putting a 170 (and I'm sure you know this being a track rider) on a thinner rim will make the profile of the tire significantly different and definitely make leaning the bike over more sluggish. Great for aesthetics, but not function.
    Just my two cents
    You know your a hawkaddict when you check ebay and craigslist every hour for parts to upgrade

Comment

I m still using the stock rear wheel. did the hawk originally come with 150's or 160's?

Comment

Hawks original size was 150, many people (most?) run 160 with no problem. I've run 170 Metzeler/Pirellis with no trouble, only mod I have there is I've run the brakeline through the swingarm and lost the chain guard. I quite liked the feel of the wider rear, felt that a 160 Metzeler was too tippy at the back when I ran that.

I recently had some Michelins fitted with a 170 on the rear that is just all sorts of pinched up Don't know about any others...

E

Comment

skinne you were using a stock rear rim with the 170?

Has anyone used a dunlop qualifier or Bridgestone bt014 170 in the rear? I was probabaly going with one of those brands

Comment

i use dunlop 170 on a stock rear rim for about 5 years (4-5 tires) not one problem.
            1988 & 1991 hawkgt, 2005 rc51

Comment

Yes vadrr, 170 on a stock rim, no modifications other than the brakeline/chain guard.

Comment

Working...
              X