• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rydtheslyd
    Hawk Newb
    • May 2007

Penske people?

For canyon carving and a track day or 2 but Not hard racing
    Should I buy the 8900 or go with the more expensive 8981.

what is the optimum shock length eye to eye for handling?? (shot in the dark)

Im not sold on penske so If someone here has a good deal on another shock I.E. Fox twin clicker let me know!

Yes I did a search and I read info on both shocks, but practical info would be helpful as well.

Cheers
  • SkinnE
    Elite Hawker
    • May 2007

It depends on how fiddly and sensitive you are, Nohl. Do you like to fettle and adjust, or not? Do you wish you could tune out certain characteristics? Will you carry a passenger? If you answer yes to these plump for the 8981. If would you rather bolt it on and ride, a well set up 8900 will be a great improvement, but doesn't offer as much in the way of tuning.

If you are a fettler, the 8981 will let you mess with it, and also gives you the option of revalving if you can't find a setting you like (or want to change the low speed circuits). I understand this is something Penske are happy to help with, and they will build the shock to your specification, something a bit uncommon in the market.

Do be warned that a Penske (or any other high performance shock) will need servicing to keep it happy. Depending on how often/far/bumpy/wet/dirty your rides are, this could be once a year. So buy two for when the other goes for service

I have no relation to Penske or any reseller, but I do have an 8981, supplied by the Almighty Hord. I am quite happy with it on the bumpy back roads I ride frequently, and when it goes off for service I will probably have the low speed compression firmed up. I will probably also get spit off when I forget that I've temporarily replaced it with a 900rr while it's away .

I am probably similar to you, in usage, brisk road riding, but no racing. Oh, my shock is set with about 9mm of thread showing below the lock-nut. I've no idea what that translates to, eye-to-eye, other than longer.

E

Comment

• hpwcycleservice
      Hawk Newb
      • May 2007

I do a lot of Penske shock rebuilds and usually turnaround is only 1 or 2 days. They are super-easy to do, compared to a Showa unit and only $75 to do it.

Another option would be respringing and revalving a 900RR unit with Race Tech Gold Valves...not as good as Penske, but a world of difference over the stocker.
      "Suck, Squish, Bang, Blow"

http://www.hpwcycleservice.com

Comment

• hpwcycleservice
        Hawk Newb
        • May 2007

I do a lot of Penske shock rebuilds and usually turnaround is only 1 or 2 days. They are super-easy to do, compared to a Showa unit and only $75 to do it.

Another option would be respringing and revalving a 900RR unit with Race Tech Gold Valves...not as good as Penske, but a world of difference over the stocker.
        "Suck, Squish, Bang, Blow"

http://www.hpwcycleservice.com

Comment

• Rydtheslyd
          Hawk Newb
          • May 2007

Well considering I spent the $ to put 07 600RR front end on it for better suspention & braking, I would be wasting my time and $ not to do the back end as well with a shock specifically made for the bike and Me!! Ive heard very mixed reviews about the 900RR shock, and Im already puting WAY TOO MUCH $$ into this Project so Why not!!

Thanks for the info!

I will never be riding 2 up on this bike .

I HATE riding 2 up But I let my RC51 do that work, When I have to

Cheers

Comment

• SkinnE
            Elite Hawker
            • May 2007

Originally Posted by Rydtheslyd
            Well considering I spent the $ to put 07 600RR front end on it for better suspention & braking, I would be wasting my time and $ not to do the back end as well with a shock specifically made for the bike and Me!! Ive heard very mixed reviews about the 900RR shock, and Im already puting WAY TOO MUCH $$ into this Project so Why not!!

Thanks for the info!

I will never be riding 2 up on this bike .

I HATE riding 2 up But I let my RC51 do that work, When I have to

Cheers
            I absolutely agree, in every respect. If you've got that front end on, you'd be doing the bike (and yourself) a disservice running anything other than a dedicated shock. A wise man once told me, "It's all about balance".

I had the 900 shock as a stop gap measure, until I could afford a proper shock, and while it was better than stock, it left a lot to be desired. I had the compression damping adjustment wound to maximum and still wanted more. I also wanted to be able to reduce the rebound damping and couldn't. Having it Gold Valved almost certainly would have helped, but at that point when you figure the price of a 900 shock, the labour and parts to Gold Valve it, and the mucking around with machining, spacers, limiters and springs, it's not too much further to get a shock dedicated to the Hawk. I do find it very nice to be able to fiddle the shock length, something else a 900 won't give you. If I had the money, I would have splurged on the 8987 (adds low speed adjustments to 8981, but it's kind of obscene money.

Yeah, I have a wife who hasn't got off her butt and got her Motorcycle licence yet, so I still have to carry her around once in a while Poor little hawk... I can't wait for her to get sorted so I can make the Hawk monoposto

E

Comment

• Hordpower
              Hawk Lister
              Keeper of Engine Nomenclature, 9th Order
              • Sep 2006

I think either shock will work fine for your intended use, but the 8981 would be better, there's no doubt. Not only the added compression adjustment, but the damping will also remain consistent over a long ride or track session. (due to the reservoir and separation of N/oil) The Penske is built with enough length adjustment to run +0mm to about +25mm of rear ride height. Personally, I don't think that more than +15mm is needed, if that. It messes up the swingarm angle too much to go further.

(edited for measurement units!!)
              J.D. Hord
              Keeper of Engine Nomenclature, 9th Order

Comment

• Rydtheslyd
                Hawk Newb
                • May 2007

Thanks for the info everyone.

Hord I will be in touch with you to buy the 8981 shock!!!

Cheers

Comment

Working...