Throttle not rolling back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throttle not rolling back

Hello all - a newbie here who just bought an 88 Hawk about a month ago, so I've got a lot to learn about maintenance, etc.

But currently, my main issue is that my throttle no longer rolls back when I release it.

It was working fine previously but now it sticks. I did twist it a bit when trying to start it again after it stalled on me. Um, in the spirit of full disclosure, the translation of 'stalled' is that it ran out of gas and I made the rookie mistake of thinking it was anything other than being out of gas. But to help myself feel better, the tank was at 70 miles whereas the previous tank lasted to at least 100 miles, but I digress...

So anyone have any experience with this throttle sticking issue and how to fix it?

Thanks!

Oh, otherwise, it's been a blast getting my motorcycling chops on the Hawk!

Spray oil as much of the mechanism as possible before you start taking it to bits. Do the simple things 1st.
    -----------------------
    88 Bros
    93 Supra TT 6sp
    03 Sh*tbox Opel Combo
    -----------------------

Comment

Can be a few things :-
      Gummed up cables (what roberto said)
      Fraying cables
      Throttle tube sticky - can be gummed up (so remove clean and refit) OR cracked and sticking (tend to get broken easily when crashed - you may be able to bodge a repair).
      Incorrectly routed cables
      Badly adjusted cables at the carby end
      '95 ShaftHawk 650P>
      Front: Bros Mk2 front wheel; Mk1 forks; MetalGear disc; NC30 caliper; cb1 yoke.
      Breathing: Hacked up and shortened ART tri-can on collector and link pipe from DemonTweeks.
      Other: RGV bars; DefT dash; modded subframe; modded rearsets; relocated ignition.

'91 Bros 650 Mk1>
      Currently off the road.

Comment

Originally Posted by DefTrap
        Can be a few things :-
        Gummed up cables (what roberto said)
        Fraying cables
        Throttle tube sticky - can be gummed up (so remove clean and refit) OR cracked and sticking (tend to get broken easily when crashed - you may be able to bodge a repair).
        Incorrectly routed cables
        Badly adjusted cables at the carby end
        I second that.
        BIKES: Honda: RC31 Racebike/ NT650 Streetbike, DUCATI: None at the moment.
        Former MSF Rider Coach / Trackday Instructor/ Expert Roadracer #116
        "I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow."

Comment

the throttle system is simple, and if one part is gummy enough to stick, then other parts probably need to be cleaned too.

what i would do would be to:

note the cable routing...

pop the cables off.. from the carb....
          now you can undo them from the clipon..

then you can clean the cables... slide the throttle tube off and clean the bar, clean the inside of the throttle tube, clean everything.

i used a LIGHT grease on the handlebar/throttle tube... a heavy grease will be "sticky".. a thinner lighter one wont be.. or use powdered graphite...

lube the cables, ect.. then throw it all back together, making careful note of the cable routing...

i know its overkill and doesnt follow the "simple stuff first" idea.. but its thorough, and if you've worked on your hawk alot.. this is a 15 to 20 min deal..... if it isnt...

well, you get to work on your hawk some.. keep doing it and things like this become a 15min deal... win-win IMO...

Comment

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
            i know its overkill and doesnt follow the "simple stuff first" idea.. but its thorough, and if you've worked on your hawk alot.. this is a 15 to 20 min deal..... if it isnt...

well, you get to work on your hawk some.. keep doing it and things like this become a 15min deal... win-win IMO...
            Good point. Practice makes perfect.
            -----------------------
            88 Bros
            93 Supra TT 6sp
            03 Sh*tbox Opel Combo
            -----------------------

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

I'm gonna give some suggestions a try and let you know what happens.

Also, any recommendations on specific oil brand/type to use?

Thanks again.

Comment

finally read the hole post

I cant believe no one has said to do the simple stuff first

take the tank off so you can see everything
                make sure your CABLE SPRINGS are still there and working right.

if they are, then I would take the throttle tube housing off and make sure you don't have a broken return cable. the most probable spot for the cables to brake will be there because the radius on the tube is small.

if at this point you still haven't found the problem then I would take everyone else's advice, remove and clean the cables.
                1988 & 1991 hawkgt, 2005 rc51

Comment

On an fj I used to have the grip was pushed on too much and it bound up against the switch housing- which resulted in what you are describing. Made for a cheap "cruise control".
                  '88 Hawk GT
                  '89 Harley FXSTC
                  2008 Yamaha V-Star 1300 tourer

http://www.hawkgtforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=948

"...my performance ain't perfect, but its loud, and its fast..." -Widespread Panic

Comment

Originally Posted by jaysun0ne
                    take the tank off so you can see everything
                    make sure your CABLE SPRINGS are still there and working right.
                    To be fair the only springs are the big feckers on the butterfly rod on the carb itself. Never heard of those breaking or going missing.
                    '95 ShaftHawk 650P>
                    Front: Bros Mk2 front wheel; Mk1 forks; MetalGear disc; NC30 caliper; cb1 yoke.
                    Breathing: Hacked up and shortened ART tri-can on collector and link pipe from DemonTweeks.
                    Other: RGV bars; DefT dash; modded subframe; modded rearsets; relocated ignition.

'91 Bros 650 Mk1>
                    Currently off the road.

Comment

i use cbr600rr forks. and I have the same problems with a lining of a trottle cables. i think need use black magik for it

Comment

Originally Posted by jaysun0ne
                        I cant believe no one has said to do the simple stuff first
                        I hate to be pedantic but...

Originally Posted by Roberto
                        Spray oil as much of the mechanism as possible before you start taking it to bits. Do the simple things 1st.
                        -----------------------
                        88 Bros
                        93 Supra TT 6sp
                        03 Sh*tbox Opel Combo
                        -----------------------

Comment

Originally Posted by billyd
                          Also, any recommendations on specific oil brand/type to use?
                          WD40
                          -----------------------
                          88 Bros
                          93 Supra TT 6sp
                          03 Sh*tbox Opel Combo
                          -----------------------

Comment

Did you ride the bike home or trailer it. If you trailer it and tied down the bike by the bars (around the grips) most likely the grips slid a little. It happens all the time when people show up for a track day. They say that "the throttle snapped back no problem before they brought it bike up". I ask what did they do differently? Response is usually "I just put it up on the trailer".

Give that a whirl.
                            Gino
                            Chain Roller

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE PREDICTABILITY OF STUPIDITY

2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
                            2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
                            2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
                            LRRS HAWK GT Racer CCS Expert #929
                            ECK RACING

Comment

i was just saying make a visual inspection first, of all the parts.

because you never know what the previous owner did
                              maybe he was messing with those springs or or some thing else down there. you never know untill you look.
                              1988 & 1991 hawkgt, 2005 rc51

Comment

Working...
                              X