Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tires

Hi
    Im new to the site, just have a question that may have been asked already.

What size of tires would work well for stock hawk rims.

Thanks much appreicated!

I've been running 160/60 rears and 110/70 up front since 1990 on my Hawk.
    It seems to be nice combo.
    But keep in mind your riding style. Bigger/Wider is not always better.

Some folks will debate that a thinner rear will give you more lean angle.... or something.... ops: uh, a debate I can't participate in.

I currently run Pirrelli Diablos but may switch to the new Strada's next. My riding involves more slab riding than tilting these days. :cry:
    Mark
    88 HawkGT (original owner)
    99 Concours
    02 VFR800

Comment

what about an all around tire, anyone have any tires they are fond of? I want to do twisties and cruising so I am looking for an all around tire that work well for the hawk and wont cost an arm and leg?
      -NEVER LET YOUR FEARS STAND IN THE WAY OF YOUR DREAMS-
      Most of the pics I have of my Hawk/Mods: http://gallery.me.com/stevenhowell

"Arseing about with my bikes will end in tears." -Keno04

"Dress for the slide, not the ride" - ParcNHawk

Comment

Sport Touring types like those available from Avon (I believe the Azaro line) are popular. The new Diablo Strata has gotten good reviews as well.

I'm considering taking off my Diablo's and getting a set of the Stratas. I'll keep the Diablo's in case I do any track days anytime soon. (insert crossed fingers here )
        Mark
        88 HawkGT (original owner)
        99 Concours
        02 VFR800

Comment

Metzler M1

I recently got a 160/60 on the rear and 110/70 front, both stock wheels. I chose Metzler M1's for a good all around tire. Not too expencive either. I would suggest them.

Comment

What about Metzeler MEZ4's? has anyone ridin on these? I found a brand new set for $150. (120/70 ZR17 Front and 160/60 ZR17 Rear...will that fit stock wheels?) For that price I really can't go wrong, but I am still wondering about them....How sticky are they, do they hold well in the twisties?

Also, anyone from Seattle area know of a place that I can have them mounted for cheap? Or is it possible to do it myself? How safe would that be?

Comment

The FAQ on www.hawkgt.com is the gold standard for tire selection info.
              1988 "BlackHawk" project
              1989 "RallyHawk" is Chuck's now!
              1988 "The Gray" Tempest Gray Metallic stocker

I can't tell you how peaceful it is. Shinya Kimura
              People who know ride Hawks. Riot

Comment

will a 120/70 17 fit on the stock front wheel? anyone know?

Comment

From what I have read is it will mount but it is not considered safe to do so.
                  The Democrats are the party that says government will make you smarter, taller, richer, and remove the crabgrass on your lawn. The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it.
                  P. J. O'Rourke

Comment

120/70

It's not a good idea to put a 120/70 on the stock front rim. that tire fits a 3.5" rim. the hawk rim is 2.5" and works well with a 110/70-17 front tire. the reason you found a good deal on the MEZ4 is that it's a bit older technology (vs. the newer Z6) and it's the standard SV sizes. actually the Z4 is an OE tire for the SV. The Z4 has a much flatter profile in the rear, so it doesn't want to turn as quickly as some of the newer tread pattern/profiles. I am not a big fan of the Z4 but the Z6 is much better IMHO. more grip, better mileage and much better handling.

your best bet is to buy a set in 110/70-17 and a 160/60-17 rear in a good sport touring size. The Pirelli Diablo Strada is what I run on my FJR. I have about 8k miles on them and still have plenty of tread on the rear. that's on a 125hp bike and I've also run three track days on it (mostly two up on the track). I had the FJR at the turkey day track day. it's what they did some of the filming for the upcoming Hawk DVD that steve hunt is making.

Plenty of grip and much better durability if that's what you are looking for.

Comment

*** Tire question ***

Would anyone know what rubber is on the hoops of the Canuck HAWK pictured in "Buy, Sell & Trade" section.. titled: **SOLD**Hawk 4 Sale, Calgary, Canada? They look absolutely brutal! I'd love to know what make and model those are.
                      **** WINTER HAWK ***

Comment

Hey Stevenjhow

If you are still looking for a place to mount tires try http://www.southendmotorcycle.com/ they are on the White center/burien Border.
                        They are pretty good guys that left university Honda to start their won shop a few years back. They seem pretty fair on the prices too.
                        Hows that monster end coming by the way?

Good luck.
                        ARRH Don't mind me, that's just the scurvy talkin!

Comment

Stevenjhow asked about an all around tire. My hawk had pirelli diablos when I got it, but I needed new rubber on a budget and I knew I'd be using the bike for sport and commuter riding. I picked up a set of michelin pilot roads for 140 delivered from somewhere in cali. Good mix of rubber that does great in rain and doesn't wear too quick if you have to super slab it. I noticed the diablos had a big flat spot because it was a softer tire. The michelins rounder profile also made the bike dive faster which I kind of liked.

Comment

Tyres are kind of a problem for me . The reason is that the PGM version of Bros 400 has a 120/70-17 front and a 150/60-18 rear which limits my choise to 2 or 3 models . I have been using the Bridgestone Battleaxe BT92 (265 euros) for 13 .000 km now and although they remain in good condtition thay have gotten hard and kind of slippery in corners and dustied roads .Those tyres will last about 18 -20 K KM according to a friend who used them in the past.

The other choice is Bridgestone BT90 which is a newer model , a bit more expensive (300 euros , set ) softer , better for leaning but are expected to wear out at about 10 -12 K km . There is I think a set of Pirelli Diablos for 18'' rear but only the rear costs 280 !!! euros .

Sometimes I think of getting a used 17'' rear wheel from a non PGM version but I don't like at all the double spokes design .Reminds me of vendilators .Is there a 17 version with single spokes ??? The rear wheel's characteristics and their relation with the version have always been a question for me . I 'll do my research and let you hawkers know ...

Cheers

P.S
                            1.00 Euro = 1.31602 USD
                            1 ΚΜ = 0.622 miles
                            (ex)spambot exterminator .
                            BROS 400 owners : http://www.hawkgtforum.com/forum/sho...+400+countdown

Comment

Working...
                            X