Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carburetter Crossover?

Hey up,

Can you simply pull the carb set as 1 object out of a 650 Hawk and drop it onto a 400?

I only ask as I've been looking for a set of carbs for my 400 for ages now and I can't seem to find anything, the jobs off the 650 come up with a fair degree of regularity on flebay.

Thanks
    AMX
    Breaking BROS 400CC Engine, please PM for details

you "can" but in reality they are too big. you would deffinately have to rejet them and even then I doubt you would get best performance out of them.

That said, if it came down to 650 carbs or nothin I'd run the 650's all day long lol.
    I ain't old bro...I'm retro.

Comment

Bugger, cheers anyway
      AMX

Comment

You would also need 650 inlet rubbers to fit those carbs
        Honda NT400J Bros (198
        Bros 650 engine and carbs
        NTV650 cylinder heads and cams
        Handle bar conversion
        home made cables
        DIY paint job

Comment

In theory you can, with the inlet rubbers as said, and jet down appropriately.
          It might be worth finding out the inlet size of ntv600 carbs - I seem to recall they were smaller but can't recall if they were the same size as the 400. Ntv650 carbs go staright on the 650 bros/hawk of course.
          '95 ShaftHawk 650P>
          Front: Bros Mk2 front wheel; Mk1 forks; MetalGear disc; NC30 caliper; cb1 yoke.
          Breathing: Hacked up and shortened ART tri-can on collector and link pipe from DemonTweeks.
          Other: RGV bars; DefT dash; modded subframe; modded rearsets; relocated ignition.

'91 Bros 650 Mk1>
          Currently off the road.

Comment

The Ntv 600,early Africa Twin 650 and Transalp 600 use the very same carbs as the 400 J,K models with slightly different jetting and needles and you'll have different air screw settings.In theory they should go straight on and work no problem.The L model uses a a throttle position sensor(you don't mention what model yours is?),you could retrofit the TPS to any of the above models if needed,I know it's a little more difficult to find L model carbs.I have the opposite problem to you,at one point not so long ago I had a crate with maybe 20 sets of useable 400 carbs and still to this day rarely come across 650 ones
            88 Hawk GT:Africa twin 750 donkey,Pgm loom with AT Cdi,Cbr F3 Frontend with K-tech internals,Fireblade Shock gased and valved,650 carbs with dynojet Stage 3,Full race system with Laser deeptone pipe,Braided brakelines with HH pads

88 Bros 650:Magnesium wheels,663 Wiseco,TBR Ignition Advancer,153x1 Cams.....Is Alive

Comment

Originally Posted by evoblade View Post
              The Ntv 600,early Africa Twin 650 and Transalp 600 use the very same carbs as the 400 J,K models with slightly different jetting and needles and you'll have different air screw settings.In theory they should go straight on and work no problem.The L model uses a a throttle position sensor(you don't mention what model yours is?),you could retrofit the TPS to any of the above models if needed,I know it's a little more difficult to find L model carbs.I have the opposite problem to you,at one point not so long ago I had a crate with maybe 20 sets of useable 400 carbs and still to this day rarely come across 650 ones
              Hey up,

Thanks for the info, I have a late 1991/early1992 L model. Is a Jap import. I live in Great Britain.
              When you say inlet rubbers; are you meaning inlet TO the carb or in let to the engine FROM the carb?
              I am planning on fitting independent cone type air filtres and doing away with the stock filtre. Which, unless I'm missing somit (entierly possible being a dunce), means the carb inlet rubber sizes do not matter.

Thanks
              AMX

Comment

Yeah so you need to get the TPS swapped over,it makes a little difference but you could run it unpluged.Ignition timing will default into full advance if you do this though.For the 650 carbs you would need carb to engine rubbers,if you were to use the stock airbox you would need airbox to carb rubbers also
                88 Hawk GT:Africa twin 750 donkey,Pgm loom with AT Cdi,Cbr F3 Frontend with K-tech internals,Fireblade Shock gased and valved,650 carbs with dynojet Stage 3,Full race system with Laser deeptone pipe,Braided brakelines with HH pads

88 Bros 650:Magnesium wheels,663 Wiseco,TBR Ignition Advancer,153x1 Cams.....Is Alive

Comment

Originally Posted by evoblade View Post
                  Yeah so you need to get the TPS swapped over,it makes a little difference but you could run it unpluged.Ignition timing will default into full advance if you do this though.For the 650 carbs you would need carb to engine rubbers,if you were to use the stock airbox you would need airbox to carb rubbers also
                  Right, I think I get the idea. Thanks
                  Not too sure about the TPS though, how do I do that?
                  AMX

Comment

It's a little bit tricky to swap over,you need to seperate the carbs so you can swap the linkage.Whats up with your own carbs that they need to be replaced?

Comment

I don't think there is anything wrong with them, I've never done anything to them and I'd like to know how to, best way to do that is get a set, swap them over then dosn't matter if I break somit as got a spare pair.
                      I am ham fisted, hand fisted and a dunce so need to change that and don't want to do anything without a back up incase it fucks up.
                      AMX

Comment

Buy a set and do your messing about with them so you know your way around the carbs,when you feel comfortable that you can dismantle and reassemble them good enough that they actually work on your bike then start taking a look at the ones your currently using and clean them if needed and set your float heights etc.The great old saying 'If it aint broke...don't fix it'!

Comment

Yep, thats why I'm looking. Ebay isn't alot of good and I search here fairly regular but noting yet.
                          AMX

Comment

Depends how much you want to spend for learning; e.g. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-NTV6...ht_641wt_1102; 30 quid ain't bad for that. Obviously doesn't have the TPS, but if you're just trying to get familiar with dismantling/reassembly, they'll be fine.

If you take your time on disassembly/reassembly (be meticulous about bagging parts, taking photos as you go if you can, and follow the guide in the how-to section here) you'll be fine. I don't remember anything particularly weird from when I worked on the carbs on the old L model I had a few years back

Comment

Also, ringing a few breakers to get the exact carbs you want might be the way to go (I figure a lot of them don't touch online sales/ads). The L's are a little bit rarer, but still turn up here and there.

Comment

Working...
                              X