harsh noises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

harsh noises

I was about a block away from my house when I heard an unkind grinding/gnashing noise from the bottom of my HawkGT. Turns out it is my bike and not a traffic cone stuck underneath . The bike idles and revs up fine, it is just when the bike is in gear and you start to pull away, that is when the noise starts. Bringing in the clutch does nothing to stop the pain. My guess is the clutch, clutch related parts, etc. 19 years old and this is the first thing wrong in 50k. Oh well, any thoughts from the list.
    1986 Honda NS400R
    1988 Honda Hawk GT

Keep your feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked.

I'd say chain, chain sliders or bearings first. checked them?
    '95 ShaftHawk 650P>
    Front: Bros Mk2 front wheel; Mk1 forks; MetalGear disc; NC30 caliper; cb1 yoke.
    Breathing: Hacked up and shortened ART tri-can on collector and link pipe from DemonTweeks.
    Other: RGV bars; DefT dash; modded subframe; modded rearsets; relocated ignition.

'91 Bros 650 Mk1>
    Currently off the road.

Comment

Something it could be:
      The rubber chain slider on the slack side of the chain is one of the normal wear items that is easily fogotten, and can on occasion, fall off by itself. It keeps the chain from wearing through the frame crossmember, behind the sidestand mount. Some replace it with a hard plastic part, that will maake more noise, but takes a lot longer to wear down.[/i]
      -I'm sorry....I did not know she was your sister.
      -If Buckleys cold mixture went rancid......how would anybody know????
      -Dont piss off the quiet guy with the chain saw.

Comment

i dont think its the front sprocket but you might want to cheak and make sure your srocket still has teeth and not nubs.
        if the front sporcket wears down enough it will spin faster than the chain and that makes a nasty noise but that problem would have started only under hard acceleration and would slowly get worst.
        1988 & 1991 hawkgt, 2005 rc51

Comment

noise

hi

apart from the front sprocket,check the output shaft mine done the same thing,if it is .it means a major engine strip

good luck?

flypiguk

Comment

I checked everything that is visible without taking parts off. The chain sliders are still intact and in good condition, my front spocket was new last year and is still good as well. I have been working out of town a lot and have not ridden my bike in a couple of weeks, but come to think of it, the noise seemed to be centered around the spocket area, so I will dive in to that side first. Thanks for the tips.
            1986 Honda NS400R
            1988 Honda Hawk GT

Keep your feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked.

Comment

Working...
            X