Todays Gas Sucks... Carb cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Todays Gas Sucks... Carb cleaning

The other night I was cleaning the carbs on my GSXR750 and thinking, "you f-er didn't I clean these in the fall?" Hey by the way, did you know they make those GSXRs with fuel injection these days?

My dad's BMW R60/2 which since it's restoration has been run very little and stored often is always run on my race fuel. It's never needed a carb cleaning.

My scooter sat in the trailer since it got back from Daytona back in 2003. This spring I put a fresh battery in it and it started without a carb clean AND on what was still in the fuel tank! That 4 year old fuel came from one of the race fuel kegs. We also run race gas in the generator at the end of the season. And it always starts with no fueling issues after sitting all winter.

Bottom line todays fuel with all its additives is pure crap. In CT they even pay additional fuel tax for even more additives (than nationally) the purpose, to make a cleaner burning fuel. The result, it burns with even more pollutants than without the additives. And it's shelf life is even shorter. Will they take it out? No.

Bottom line guys fill those tanks to the tipity top for extened storage and don't forget the Stabil, run it until the carbs are dry and while the exhaust pipes are still nice and warm and dry cap them. And maybe you can go to sleep without smelling like stale shitty gas.

Sorry rant over.
    Faster than your mother... She's what the pros use.

How about putting some toluene in the tank (works as an octane additive, plus it is used as a carb cleaner) and running it for a bit before laying it up? Mixed in with the petrol of course, not neat.

I used to use about the equivalent to a mug full to a 5 gallon tankful (so about a quarter of an aerosol tin of 100% toluene carb cleaner?).

I do agree though, modern fuel really is junk, and we should be paid for burning it to dispose of it for them.

ETA: DON'T BREATHE IN THE TOLUENE THOUGH!! Dodgy stuff (highly cancergenic).

Comment

Never tried it but I may. Thanks for the information. I think today's fuel was designed to cripple the worlds fleet of motorcycles and send us all back to public transportation.
      Faster than your mother... She's what the pros use.

Comment

About every fourth tankful I put a few capfulls of marvel mystery oil just to keep things purring.

Comment

Working...
        X