Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you experts explain how fork oil works?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you experts explain how fork oil works?

I am learning about the forks right now in my manual, but what I don't understand and can not figure out from the manual is exactly where in the forks the fork oil resides????...In the pic below can you all help me understand when you pour fork oil in the top, where it flows, and how the fork oil seal stops it from leaking out, etc. etc....I really want to learn all I can, and I am planning to do this job soon, but want to understand the physics behind what I am doing, thanks!

Jason

Damn right it's a Hawk GT

The oil is basically all over on the inside. What keeps it there is the oil seal and the fork tube cap.

What is happening when you hit bumps, etc is that some of the force is absorbed by the spring. Some is absorbed by the oil- which flows through the holes in the piston as the fork moves up and down. too much oil flowing through (or a weak spring) and you have a "soft" suspension (and which is why there is a mod to the '88 forks to fill in two of the four holes)

There are mods that involve lengthening the fork tube spacer to preload the spring so it feels stiffer. Using thicker fork oil will also help firm up the forks because thick oil can't flow through the holes in the pistons as fast as thinner oil. Then there is replacing the spring itself with one that has more coils, some of which are wound tighter (progressive springs). And finally the cartridge emulators (or front end upgrade to F2 and newer forks) if you want to have dual front brakes with modern adjustable forks.
    '88 Hawk GT
    '89 Harley FXSTC
    2008 Yamaha V-Star 1300 tourer

http://www.hawkgtforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=948

"...my performance ain't perfect, but its loud, and its fast..." -Widespread Panic

Comment

Thanks, but now I have another question, looking at the diagram I see that the piston is at the top of the fork tube, so I am not understanding when the fluid flows through the holes, where it goes??? And how does the seal at the top of the slider keep oil in place when the tube and slider are hollow??? Man I wish I had a working model or something that could show me, it is probably hard to explain in text only I would imagine...Any more help would really be appreciated...Thanks,

Jason

Comment

Ah crap wait, I am looking at the diagram wrong I think, does the piston go into the slider at the bottom of the fork tube???? That would make sense to me, then the "holes" would allow fuid to flow between the slider area below the piston, and the fork tube above the piston right? Did I get it???

Comment

You got it.
          BIKES: Honda: RC31 Racebike/ NT650 Streetbike, DUCATI: None at the moment.
          Former MSF Rider Coach / Trackday Instructor/ Expert Roadracer #116
          "I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow."

Comment

Working...
          X