Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shite! 2:1 problem?

Hey all,

As some of you know I just bought the Supertrapp universal shorty exhaust...I think my muzzy collector will work, b/c I have measured it and it looks to be 2", but it seems "fat" to me, I won't know until my exhaust gets here if it will work...So planning ahead, if it doesn't what am I going to do? I called some muffler shops and they said they can make it but it would be 100-150 bucks Doesn't that seem freakin high???? Hopefully my muzzy will work, it is just old and rusty, so I am wondering if I should just go ahead and get it made? I was thinking, I could maybe fab it myself with 2" exhaust tubing, but how to do it?

maybe something like this, cut to ovals and then weld sheeting around them and cut holes for the pipes and weld 2" stub pipes for bolting up everything? I worry about the strength of it though:

Damn right it's a Hawk GT

Ok, so I called a few more shops that said I'd be looking around 15-50 bucks depending on "if" they could do it...Am I barking up the wrong tree here? Advice?

Comment

To be honest, I'd go with a new custom collector anyway and then try to clean up your Muzzy either as a backup/spare or even stick it on ebay or on here to try to offset the cost of your new SuperTrapp if you are short on cash.
      '88 Bros NT650J
      Progressive fork springs, '93 CBR600 F2 fork caps, CBR900RR rear shock, Puig 'Raptor' fly screen
      Fabitappi Monoposto seat cover, Heated grips, Braided brake lines, Buell indicators/turn signals
      Ceramic coated stock headers with custom Yoshi shorty muffler & Muzzy collector

Comment

Can you buy just the collector, or do you have to buy the whole headers too? Where can I get it? thanks,

Jason

Comment

The collector is the holy grail, see Ribbit2's thread. I don't think $100 - $150 is an unreasonable price to have one made up.
          '88 Bros NT650J
          Progressive fork springs, '93 CBR600 F2 fork caps, CBR900RR rear shock, Puig 'Raptor' fly screen
          Fabitappi Monoposto seat cover, Heated grips, Braided brake lines, Buell indicators/turn signals
          Ceramic coated stock headers with custom Yoshi shorty muffler & Muzzy collector

Comment

Ok, well hopefully my muzzy will work, if not I'll have one made up and just pay it I guess, it is only money lol...

Comment

The Muzzy collector is 2".If you got a 2" inlet Supertrapp you're golden.

Comment

Great, I did however receive an email from JD Hord and he gave me this site:

http://burnsstainless.com/

Pricy but they do it, their stuff looks nice...

Comment

http://www.headermania.com/mm5/merch...ode=COLLECTORS

Check that site out. S&S Headers
                  1988 Hawk
                  Shuriken 1000

Comment

Less than 10 bucks, holy crap!!!! But it steps down to 2.5", how would you go about reducing it to 2"????

Comment

From your pic in the other post, it looks like you have the stock headers on the bike. I believe those are 1.5" O.D. and your new Supertrapp is 2" I.D. What do you guys think about this one then?

http://www.headermania.com/mm5/merch...=COLLECTORS21C
                      1988 Hawk
                      Shuriken 1000

Comment

That's exactly what I'm looking for too!! I'm gonna measure my inlet
                        for the carbon can... see If I can order myself something like that!
                        1989 type I - F2 front end - Technoflex rear shock - K&N Filter - Dynojet kit - Braking Discs - Rizoma indicators - Rizoma mirrors - hiperform exhaust... hmmm what's next?!

Comment

That looks dead on what we have been taling about needing...Problem is I went to order it b/c it was only 5 bucks and then I got a error message saying the minimum order is 25...Oh well, even that wouldn't be bad, but I am gonna use my "free" muzzy, if someone does order this, will you let us know how well if fits to the headers, I know on mine there is a little space between them, where this looks like you would have to bend them for no space between them...But I think there would be enough play to do that honestly...

Hell maybe we should do a group buy?????...If 5 of us want one then we can just have 1 guy buy and mail out???

Comment

Anybody interested in a group buy? Is it wise to "weld" it on, which is all you can do with this y pipe?

Comment

I would like to see you put the exhaust system on the bike after you weld on that swaged collector.

I talked to the S&S folks the other day, they do have a $25 2-1 slip-fit merge that would work, but it is mild steel, and they couldn't do stainless unless it was a large production run. Back to the hunt. I did find a guy to make a 3-1 for my Triumph at a fairly reasonable price, I will ask him about a run of 2-1 stainless after I see what this 3-1 looks like quality-wise. As I told Ribbet, I have been trying for a long time to find somebody to do 2-1 slip-on pipes for the Hawk but can't find anything that makes $$ sense compared to just going the full M4 route.
                              J.D. Hord
                              Keeper of Engine Nomenclature, 9th Order

Comment

Working...
                              X