What kind of chain lube?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What kind of chain lube?

I used the blue stuff for years (PJ-1?) and recently switched to the wax based stuff. The bike is cleaner now but the chain also gets a little rusty sometimes. What is everyone else using?
    Brian - Richland, WA
    1991 Hawk GT
    1997 VFR

i also use the pj-1... seems good enough. related to the chain though not about lube: do those of you who have aftermarket rear suspension have chain drag when not on the throttle or do i need to ever so slightly tighten it?
    the only thing is that i get nervous about it getting too tight when riding 2-up....
    ride Red.

Comment

I use the wax stuff too and have the same problem with the rust. Not sure if I'm not putting it on right (?) but it's never given me much of a problem. I usually just end up waxing it more often.

Comment

I tried the wax stuff (Castrol) and really didn't like it. Now I use Rock Oil chain lube... I like to see the thick stuff glistening on the chain! Even a light application seems to hang around for ages.

Chris
        "Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow, it only saps today of its joy."

Comment

I use wd-40. People go round and round on every bike forum I have ever been on about it and I still use it..but I do maintain the chain after about every ride.

Comment

I use a combo of wd40 to clean (and it also prevents rust), and then spray on chain wax to seal it in. That maybe over kill, but i NEVER get rusty chains and my chain links never bind or kink. Been doing it for 4 years.
            You know your a hawkaddict when you check ebay and craigslist every hour for parts to upgrade

Comment

Originally Posted by Soul
              I use wd-40. People go round and round on every bike forum I have ever been on about it and I still use it..but I do maintain the chain after about every ride.
              im not sure what to use anymore

i have used wd-40 that requires the most attention by far. i used to do it every other tank of gas. i kept a small can on me all the time.

i have also used wax based stuff but it builds up and i like to have a clean looking chain so once a month at least i clean it all off with wd-40 and start over.

im thinking im going to go back to just using wd-40 again.
              but this year i have been pretty lazy about chain matinance
              anyone want to argue about not lubing a chain at all???
              i have herd the sealed chains dont really need to be lubed...
              1988 & 1991 hawkgt, 2005 rc51

Comment

So, I guess I need to choose.

WD-40, looks nice, no rust, constant maintenance
                PJ1, works well, gunk on bike
                Chain wax, bike stays clean, chain rusts

Some of you who use other lubes, how clean does the bike stay?
                Brian - Richland, WA
                1991 Hawk GT
                1997 VFR

Comment

i use napa brand!!!!
                  Avatar courtesy of http://www.elizabethraab.com/
                  1988 Honda Hawk NT650 GT

Comment

Chain lube

For what it's worth: I had been advised that whatever you use (I received a can of Honda teflon lube with my Hawk when I bought it), make sure that you apply the lube after a ride when the chain has had a chance to heat up so that it can better absorb the lube as it cools.

Guth
                    '88 Hawk GT - Candy Flair Blue
                    '13 CB1100 - Candy Red

Comment

Bueller????? Bueller??? I earlier asked...
                      related to the chain though not about lube: do those of you who have aftermarket rear suspension have chain drag when not on the throttle or do i need to ever so slightly tighten it?
                      the only thing is that i get nervous about it getting too tight when riding 2-up....
                      ride Red.

Comment

Amsoil Heavy Duty Metal protectant Works so well, never gets too dirty, never had a rusty chain since using it

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/amh.aspx
                        Lord Squidward of FloriDUH

Comment

WD to clean, PJ1 to lube here...
                          Damn right it's a Hawk GT

Comment

Originally Posted by TJStoner
                            Amsoil Heavy Duty Metal protectant Works so well, never gets too dirty, never had a rusty chain since using it

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/amh.aspx
                            This looks interesting. I just ordered some to give it a try.
                            Brian - Richland, WA
                            1991 Hawk GT
                            1997 VFR

Comment

this is going to seem silly buuuut....

i use 90w+ gear oil.
                              i have a ton of the stuff for the race cars.. and it works really well.

it doesnt "stick" as well as a dedicated chain lube of course.. but i oil it once a week, and it always looks like new.
                              it also doesnt pickup dirt/grunge slime like most chainlubes do... it looks clean and nice...

i put my bike on its rearstand.. and umm... well i put it in first gear and let the wheel spin at idle speed... then i just drip some on there... let it work itself in, then wipe it so that the excess comes off... and so that the sides stay pretty too... lol. takes about 3mins total to do....

i know its not "ideal" or "right".. but it is very effective.

Comment

Working...
                              X