CDI Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CDI Question

I have a CDI for an NT400 number KWOB-8513 that has the same plug configuration as the CDI as my NT650. Can anyone tell me if this is the magical 10200 rpm CDI?

Thanks,
    Jason

Yep. Godspeed.
    J.D. Hord
    Keeper of Engine Nomenclature, 9th Order

Comment

Gonna blow the motor right up.
      BIKES: Honda: RC31 Racebike/ NT650 Streetbike, DUCATI: None at the moment.
      Former MSF Rider Coach / Trackday Instructor/ Expert Roadracer #116
      "I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow."

Comment

Ka-BOOM!!!
        You know your a hawkaddict when you check ebay and craigslist every hour for parts to upgrade

Comment

Originally Posted by drinmotoracer
          Ka-BOOM!!!

1989 Hawk Gt

Comment

10.2 k CDI

So basically you're saying Ebay it?

Comment

Well it would work out fine with a few key motor upgrades like lightweight pistons,probably new bearings and rods...but the hawks v twin isnt built factory to handle many more rpms than what itll do stock...mine rumbles pretty good already at about 6500. If you were gonna test it just to see if it is that cdi or if itll work, just dont hold it wide open for long cuz you might run into some trouble.
              1989 Hawk Gt

Comment

Umm... Well... I would defer that to JD.

I seem to remember him saying I didn't want to put one on my racebike...

BIKES: Honda: RC31 Racebike/ NT650 Streetbike, DUCATI: None at the moment.
                Former MSF Rider Coach / Trackday Instructor/ Expert Roadracer #116
                "I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow."

Comment

[quote="Doc"]Umm... Well... I would defer that to JD.

quote]

I would say thats a good idea! :yeahthat:
                  1989 Hawk Gt

Comment

Originally Posted by jregezeino
                    Originally Posted by drinmotoracer
                    Ka-BOOM!!!

There are three kinds of people in this world, those who can count, and those who can't.

Comment

It depends on how you want to (ab)use it.I have a 10.2 box just so I get a little over-revving action.Eeking out another few hundred RPM's from time to time isn't that horrible but I wouldn't try to make it live there.

Comment

What Brother jO-eL sayeth. I have used them on my stuff. I wouldn't go around constantly rat-a-tat-ing on the limiter, especially with stock rods, but it isn't like it will only last 30 seconds. I have a 10.2 box on my dyno mule chassis and regularly spin even stock-ish engines that high. But not for long! With a programmable CDI I now set mine ~ 9500. Just a bit of over-rev past the power peak. I think what Doc is referring to, I don't build the engines to make power up that high. There are plenty of ways to get good power without revving the snot out of it and just causing more problems. Some of the crazy-ass camshaft grinds that used to be around like the 174x1, you HAD to rev it to 10k to make power.
                        J.D. Hord
                        Keeper of Engine Nomenclature, 9th Order

Comment

As JD has already stated running a stock NT650 motor to 10200rpm will not have it sounding its death nell.

Bottom line don't make a habit of revving to 10,200rpm. But why would you? Either stock or built motors have stopped making peak power long before redline. If you are building a motor to work up there or such a motor suits your riding style you need to go find yourself an FZR400/560 because you don' t really understand/appreciate/know how to exploit the wonderful characteristics of a well built hawk.

I have used 10200rpm boxes and they serve a purpose, like when it's less of a tradeoff to hold a gear a little longer (even if you fall off the power curve a little) than grabbing another gear and losing the sprint to the line, or upshifting only to immediately down shift for the next corner. This is what they are designed for, not as a secret power enhancing weapon.

The idea that they are motor killers is silly. It's the jackass holding the throttle that kills motors. For the record I believe more NT650 motors have been destroyed by overrev on deceleration than by 10200rpm boxes and no rev limiter is going to save you from that, or yourself.
                          Faster than your mother... She's what the pros use.

Comment

there's NO point in reving past 6500 or so, and looking at the HP/torque curve for hawk motor will show that no more power will be produced up there on stock motor.
                            "It's only getting worse."

MY rides: '97 VFR750, '90 Red Hawk, '88 Blue/Black Hawk, '86 RWB VFR700 (3), '86 Yamaha Radian, '90 VTR250, '89 VTR250 (2), '73 CB125, '66 Yamaha YL-1

Sold: '86 FJ1200, '92 ZX-7, '90 Radian, '73 CB750, '89 all-white Hawk, '88 blue Hawk, '86 FZ600, '86 Yam Fazer 700 , '89 VTR250, '87 VFR700F2, '86 VFR700F.

Comment

Originally Posted by squirrelman
                              there's NO point in reving past 6500 or so, and looking at the HP/torque curve for hawk motor will show that no more power will be produced up there on stock motor.
                              my very mildly tuned Hawk delivers peak power above 7k RPM, and keeps it for a while, so revving is usefull, but not above 8.5k with stock cams

here it is:

also known as Pretpiloot.

riding the scraphawk, and the Frankenstein CB250RS

Comment

Working...
                              X