929 front end swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

929 front end swap

OK so im commited to sawwping out my bent front end with the 2001 929 front. to my understanding it seems like its gonna be a direct bolt on. i have the forks triples brake system and fender. no wheel or clipons yet. so its also my understanding that the steering lock will give me trouble. how do i solve this issue and are there any others that any of you have heard?

hahaha id hate to see a post that says...."ur an idiot, those dont fit"

-m
    I believe whatever doesnt kill you simply makes you.....

stranger.

you can fix the steering lock problem pretty easily.

just cut the lock tab on your frame to match the new locks location. i used a dremel to do mine.

Comment

Who needs a streering lock, or steering stops for that matter?

Do yourself a favor and get some All Balls tapered roller bearings. Use either the Hawk or 929 set because they are the same. All Honda's from like 87 on have the same steering neck, including a lot of the cruisers. Anybody want to do a CBR1000RR front end on a 99 Magna?

Next step install the bearings into the neck and onto the stem. Then put that shit together and bolt everything up. Then you're done!

You will want bars with risers IMO. Any 50mm clip-ons from R1's and R6's are straight off the fork with no rise and way too low for a streetbike. Keep in mind the 929 front end will lower the front of your bike and alter the geometry. I will speak about this in a bit.

Try to get either 929 or 954 clip-ons...maybe newer Jixxer 1000's but double-check that they are 50mm.

If you don't go any higher than the 929 clip-ons then you can use stock brake lines. If you go higher then you will need to replace the lines, the give no extra length at all.

Either ditch the gauges or build something clever. Or get a Vapor, which is what I plan to do but have not yet done.

Headlight? I wish I would have got 50mm brackets and kept my stock headlight. Either way, you will need to figure something out.

Fork and Chassis Tuning - PLAY WITH THE REBOUND AND COMPRESSION ADJUSTERS! With the stock 929 settings the forks were unusable when I first rode it. After dialing it in click by click I have a front end that I couldn't live without. And I haven't even put valves or springs in there yet!

Also, I wouldn't think about any plans of jacking up the rear ride height too much. The 929 front end is LOW and you'll feel the change in geometry in your lower back...like more uncomfortable than a ZX7 type of feeling.

Also...there are so many fun things about the braking power you will have at your disposal. You will not respect any tire at all for it's gripping abilities. I have locked up the front tire with one finger! BE CAREFUL if you are riding this thing on the street. Practice panic stops in a parking lot and learn how the liter-bike's 170mph brakes can stop a Hawk that weighs a few hundred less. I am seriously considering removing a brake assembly from one of the forks. I am afraid to get SS lines and upgrade the pads. I am sure that a SS line, some good fluid, one caliper, and one rotor will be more than enough for me.

You don't have to listen to anything I just wrote, just relaying my experience a bit in hopes that it will help you. Good luck.
      "Suck, Squish, Bang, Blow"

http://www.hpwcycleservice.com

Comment

i talked to Darren from Desmoto in San Francisco and he is willing to help with the swap.

we checked the bearing size and he was suprised to see that they are the same and for the most part it is an easy swap... he mentioned tapered bearings so im gonna get those. also, im gonna go to holeshot and get the headlight brackets from there. the stock bucket is just too damn light to let go....... some folks are even looking for them to swap on other bikes!

with that said its now just a matter of finding a rim and rotors, and the trailtech vaypor, and clipons.... i might get some woodcrafts all around if i have extra cash from insurance. we'll see..... hopefully shell be ready by the time rainy season hits... so that way i can get a few miles banged out before i "winterize" her.

how is the ignition mount going to work? is it a straight pop in from the top trilpe of the 929 or am i gonna have to fab some brackets?

stranger.

Comment

clipons: i got a set of vortex knockoffs for $89 off ebay.

ignition housing bolts right up just like the stearing head its universal for most honda bikes.

ebay the rim and rotors thats going to be your best bet.
          1988 & 1991 hawkgt, 2005 rc51

Comment

Originally Posted by hpwcycleservice
            Also...there are so many fun things about the braking power you will have at your disposal. You will not respect any tire at all for it's gripping abilities. I have locked up the front tire with one finger! BE CAREFUL if you are riding this thing on the street. Practice panic stops in a parking lot and learn how the liter-bike's 170mph brakes can stop a Hawk that weighs a few hundred less. I am seriously considering removing a brake assembly from one of the forks. I am afraid to get SS lines and upgrade the pads. I am sure that a SS line, some good fluid, one caliper, and one rotor will be more than enough for me.
            you might want to try the SS lines.. they improve the feel ALOT so its much easier to control that braking power.
            i almost always one finger brake now, and not at the end of the lever either.. but its very controllable.. heck, i can effortlessly stoppie with one finger now. its great.
            i dont think id go with the pad upgrade, honda does put out some great street pads... most of the others are either more track suited (need to get hot) or they dont have the same amount of feedback.
            now granted, we are talking slightly diffrent brakes.. i have the RC51 ones, not the 929.. but they're ALMOST the same.

Comment

Man I'd love to see a write up/pics of the swap if you could

Jason
              Damn right it's a Hawk GT

Comment

of course..... before and after pics and hopefully some in between..... if i decide to take on this project myself to save a lil cash and put some wrench time under my belt..... still waiting on the a wheel.... anybody got a 929/954 spare they can sell me?

Triples *check
                front axle *check
                forks *check
                brakes *check
                Rotors *check
                fender *check

clipons?
                front damn TIRE?
                headlight bracket?
                trailtech vapor?
                tapered bearings?
                shortened cables?

anyhting else???

stranger.

Comment

hOLY HOLY wow... i ended up taking my bike to www.godspeedoakland.comand they did a freakin siiiiick job....... wow...... they managed to put on the forks, untangle the mess of wires... cleaned everything up..... and wow..... i got a new rear tire because my other one was headed out so im taking it easy for now........ Tilt the mechanic fabbed some brackets to hold my dummylights so i dont really need the trailtech...... i will post pics as soon as i get a day off...

stranger.

Comment

Im excited to see!
                    -NEVER LET YOUR FEARS STAND IN THE WAY OF YOUR DREAMS-
                    Most of the pics I have of my Hawk/Mods: http://gallery.me.com/stevenhowell

"Arseing about with my bikes will end in tears." -Keno04

"Dress for the slide, not the ride" - ParcNHawk

Comment

Welcome to the 929 front end club I had my forks reworked by the local suspension Guru, and with the Ohlins out back it handles amazingly.

The radiator works quite well as steering stops but I may add wheel weights this winter.

dale
                      Being able to ride from point A to Point B does not mean you have skills.

Comment

Wheel Weights!! great idea! I posted a thread about F4i front end, but the forks hit the radiator, someone suggested drilling and tapping the stock stops and adding a bolt for an adjustable steering stop....but I couldn't bring myself to putting holes in my frame, but the stick on wheel weights are a brilliant idea!! Thanks
                        -NEVER LET YOUR FEARS STAND IN THE WAY OF YOUR DREAMS-
                        Most of the pics I have of my Hawk/Mods: http://gallery.me.com/stevenhowell

"Arseing about with my bikes will end in tears." -Keno04

"Dress for the slide, not the ride" - ParcNHawk

Comment

Originally Posted by Stevenjhow
                          Wheel Weights!! great idea! the stick on wheel weights are a brilliant idea!! Thanks
                          Your welcome. Some things we assume are "known", but obviously these things must be passed down/around at some point.

dale
                          Being able to ride from point A to Point B does not mean you have skills.

Comment

couple of pics!

here are a couple of angles on my new front end..... im still dialing in the front suspension to match the rear....... but i think my rear is on its way out... or prolly just needs some finer tuning..... other than that..... im happy!!!! she responds MUUUUUCH better in the twisties

stranger.

Comment

Sorry...but from the dead I bring a qustion...How much do you have to add to the steering stops?
                              On Hawk rebuild number 3...

Comment

Working...
                              X