Clip-ons = Burnt Clutch Cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clip-ons = Burnt Clutch Cable

I just picked up my bike today and noticed that the clutch cable was burned by the exhaust header. The previous owner installed clip-ons and I am guessing that this shortened the length that the cable had run thus moving it a little and pushing it into the exhaust header. I noticed this because I was lubricating the clutch cable because the lever was unusually hard to squeeze and the lever was reacting reacting slightly slow when releasing(engaging) the clutch. It melted the outer casing of the clutch cabling and was starting to burn the inner sheath in which the actual cable slides in. I was just wondering if anybody has had this happen to them. It looks like the problem could be solved with just a simple ziptie to pull it away from the header. I guess I should take this time to ask if anybody(in NJ) has a clutch cable to sell before I order one tomm. Thanks for looking.
    1989 Red Honda Hawk GT

Hello everybody, I just wanted to post an update to this story. I was so bothered by having to wait for the clutch cable that I decided that I must temporarily solve this problem. I just picked up the bike tonight I couldn't be stranded for a couple days or even *gasp* a week!! waiting for the clutch cable to arrive. The bike was ridable, but after about 15-20 minutes my left wrist would start to hurt so much from having to squeeze the clutch lever that it was very difficult to ride, yea it hurt that damn much.

Unfortunately I did not notice it on the test ride. I took it for a short ride, and I thought the clutch cable needed to be lubricated a bit, but since my only other ride was my 2003 kawasaki ninja 500 I was not sure if the bike just had a hard clutch pull by design.

Well, on to what I did to improve my situation while waiting for the clutch cable. I removed the clutch cable from the bike. I took a razor blade and cut and removed the outer protective covering from the burnt area(well what was left from it lol). I them took a liberal amount of wd-40 and a wire brush and cleaned the rusted and burnt area of the cable. I cleaned it until I got all the contaminents that I could out from the sheath. I them lubricated the cable the best I could. I then reinstalled the cable back on the bike and routed it much better. I then ziptied the cable to the frame in order for it to not contact the exhaust and do anymore damage then it has already done.

I then sat back on top of the bike and engaged and disengaged the clutch. I then heard my left wirst scream THANK YOU!!! The clutch is almost as good as brand new. It now requires very little effort to disengage the clutch. I am very happy for the time being. Thanks for listening and I hope this helps anybody that has a similiar problem. Take care guys.
    1989 Red Honda Hawk GT

Comment

Just a quick note but you can go up thro the gearbox without using the clutch. I have managed to get my bike home when the clutch cable complety snapped. Going down the gearbox is a little harder but it can be done.
      "Life may begin at 40, but it doesn't get real interesting until about 150."

• '88 in Candy Flair Blue + '90 in Italian Red
      • Ohlins Rear Shock
      • F2 front wheel
      • VFR750 rear wheel
      • Hiperform seat&headers
      • MSMotorsport Seat Cowl
      • Steve Lenac Tokico six pot caliper

Comment

I am still going to be using the clutch to shift. The cable was just binding because of the damage that the heat from the exhaust header did to it. I just freed up the cable a bit and lubricated it, then ziptied it away from the exhaust header for the time being. I ordered a 2" shorter clutch cable to account for the clip-ons. I'm not going to be riding with the messed up cable anyway because I decided to perform some maintenance on the bike while I am waiting for the clutch cable. I am going to adjust the valve clearance and flush the cooling system.

On that note does anybody know if it is allright to reuse the original valve cover gaskets or are they one time use only?
        1989 Red Honda Hawk GT

Comment

When I had my NTV valves checked at the Honda dealer,(a few years ago) the mechanic said it was allright to reuse the valve gasket.
          "Life may begin at 40, but it doesn't get real interesting until about 150."

• '88 in Candy Flair Blue + '90 in Italian Red
          • Ohlins Rear Shock
          • F2 front wheel
          • VFR750 rear wheel
          • Hiperform seat&headers
          • MSMotorsport Seat Cowl
          • Steve Lenac Tokico six pot caliper

Comment

Working...
          X