rc51 fork mod clarification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rc51 fork mod clarification

Well, due to the fact it seems I have no self control when it comes to upgrading my hawk, I'm in the process of swaping my fork to an rc51 unit.

In doing so I have found some speedbumps, made some mistakes, and had a hard time finding any info about compatability. So Id like to put this out there to possibly help someone make the right purchases in the future.

Lots of forks "bolt up" to the hawk, In my opinion the sp2 (2002 and newer) is the best choice, as it is a bit more adjustable then the sp1 (2000-2001) fork and also has cool blue top caps. So this is all great, except that the later sp2 steering stem/triple clamp set up is not compatable. Honda went to a stem which is 35mm in diameter on both the upper and lower section, which means the lower bearing a 35x55 works fine, but the upper 35x-- is to large for the hawks 47mm head tube. According to All-Balls they do not have, or know of a bearing 35x47, Ive done reasearch otherwise, and there may be some needle bearings that may work from Timken, but that is a whole new can of worms.

I opted to search for a more compatable older sp1, or 954/929rr stem/triple clamp setup as the one I purchased with my fork is not. There seems to be a shortage of sp1 stem/clamp setups, and quite a few folks in line in front of me looking for them as the same issue applys when putting this fork on other hondas (919, 599, cbr).

To sum this up I wound up purchasing a new stem from Service Honda for something like $250, and a used upper triple clamp from ebay for another $95 shipped. Hopefully I can sell this other setup somehow.

Well I hope at some point someone finds this helpful.

If I can help, please let me know.

Alternately, if you have any solutions to this Ive over looked. Please, let us know.
    whatsoever your hand should find to do, do it gladly, because there is no work, love, knowledge, or wisdom in the grave...

Does All Balls make a 35x48 bearing in the appropriate thickness? If so, that extra 1mm of OD on the bearing race can be removed rather easily and surprising accurately on a bench grinder. I had to do that on my GSXR-600 front end swap, and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

FWIW, YMMV, etc.
    I'll think I'll go for a life of sin followed by a last minute, presto-change-o deathbed repentance. -B. Simpson

Alex

Comment

Here's a chart of bearing sizes that All Balls makes:

http://www.allballsracing.com/Produc...ngBearings.asp

And here is a chart that shows what size bearings are in each bearing kit:

http://www.pro-flo.com/PRO-FLO_ALL_B..._REFERENCE.htm

Very helpful in figuring out what can be made to fit.

RD
      A Honda amongst a sea of Harleys

Comment

The only 35mm i.d. bearing I have been able to find meant for stem bearings is a 35x55. Im sure there is a bearing somewhere that is 35x47, I found some cartridges from a bicycle swing arm in the shop that are that size, but they seem somewhat anemic for the application which I suppose is why there is no "real" bearing available in this size.

Just get a stem that slides right in tap in some steering stops and away we go...
        whatsoever your hand should find to do, do it gladly, because there is no work, love, knowledge, or wisdom in the grave...

Comment

Re: rc51 fork mod clarification

Originally Posted by ovlovder

Alternately, if you have any solutions to this Ive over looked. Please, let us know.
          i found this very helpful.

to make it easier to find int the future:

keywords: RC51 SP1 SP2 RC-51

Comment

Re: rc51 fork mod clarification

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
            Originally Posted by ovlovder

i found this very helpful.

to make it easier to find int the future:

keywords: RC51 SP1 SP2 RC-51

good to know.

Also, of note, I did finally sell the sp2 setup for I think $125.

Comment

i have the SP2 front end on my hawk...just call all balls...tell them what you have and what you want to put in and they can help you out.....you will have to pull out your stock races....measure the id and depth...then measure your OD of the sterrer tube on the SP2 fork...then your set...i am pretty sure that all you need is the RC51 bearing kit...at least thats what mine said o nthe package...and everything bolted up fine...you will have to drop the forks about an inch to preserve proper geometry
              Lord Squidward of FloriDUH

Comment

Originally Posted by tjstoner
                you will have to drop the forks about an inch to preserve proper geometry
                ive been wondering about this myself.... if i have to drop or raise them or what....

i figured id just wait until i got the parts in hand to see.

Comment

Originally Posted by tjstoner
                  i have the SP2 front end on my hawk...just call all balls...tell them what you have and what you want to put in and they can help you out.....you will have to pull out your stock races....measure the id and depth...then measure your OD of the sterrer tube on the SP2 fork...then your set...i am pretty sure that all you need is the RC51 bearing kit...at least thats what mine said o nthe package...and everything bolted up fine...you will have to drop the forks about an inch to preserve proper geometry

Do you remember the OD of the upper portion of your steerer? All balls told me they did not have a bearing set to work. SP2's have a very odd steerer size, the only 35x** setup all balls has is a 35x55x14

Is it possible you have an sp1 stem?

Comment

Working...
                  X