X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ovlovder
    Hawk Rider
    • Aug 2006

4 piston front brake upgrade help.

So, I'll admit, brakes are not my strongest subject.

What I have is a pair of rc51 nissin 4 piston calipers, braided stainless lines, and a CBR600F2 Master cylinder.

I just filled the system with motul 5.1, there is no air in the system, the pads drag a bit, and if you really squeeze the lever you can bottom it out. But the brakes are applying plenty of pressure.

My guess is Im using the wrong size master cylinder.

Any insight?
    whatsoever your hand should find to do, do it gladly, because there is no work, love, knowledge, or wisdom in the grave...
  • SMF
    Elite Hawker
    • Oct 2006

could be a master cylinder issue... I'm surprised you can bottom out the lever... you sure you blead the hell out of them? after bleeding I've never had the level get anywhere close to bottoming out on any bike I've owned (even when using both hands to squeeze it... but I'm a bit obsessive about bleading brakes )

Comment

• Doc
      OG Admln!!
      Hawk Lister
      • Aug 2005

Good you can bleed my rear brake when you come up.

I would say Master too. I bet the RC51's is bigger.
      BIKES: Honda: RC31 Racebike/ NT650 Streetbike, DUCATI: None at the moment.
      Former MSF Rider Coach / Trackday Instructor/ Expert Roadracer #116
      "I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow."

Comment

• ovlovder
        Hawk Rider
        • Aug 2006

It must be, I blead it again and no air. One hand, to the grip...
        whatsoever your hand should find to do, do it gladly, because there is no work, love, knowledge, or wisdom in the grave...

Comment

• Doc
          OG Admln!!
          Hawk Lister
          • Aug 2005

Got a leak?

Comment

• SMF
            Elite Hawker
            • Oct 2006

weird. if you're got a spare master around I guess try that, but there are hawk guys at loudon pushing a lot more than the stock calipers with the stock master (just can't remember their specifics right now).

Doc, I'll bring my mighty vac up. we'll make your brakes _scary_

Comment

• Doc
              OG Admln!!
              Hawk Lister
              • Aug 2005

I cannot thank you enough... :cry: tears of joy

Comment

• ovlovder
                Hawk Rider
                • Aug 2006

Going to get a new 5/8 master from Hord, he seems to think it should do the trick...

No leaks for sure...

Comment

• ovlovder
                  Hawk Rider
                  • Aug 2006

Just spoke with my Dad, he thinks there may be air trapped at the banjos. Will try to crack banjos during a re-bleed.

Comment

• Hordpower
                    Hawk Lister
                    Keeper of Engine Nomenclature, 9th Order
                    • Sep 2006

F2 master with RC calipers (or any dual, 4-piston) won't cut it. The piston bore of the F2 MC is too small and it won't push enough fluid. You will need a 5/8" Nissin, or 18mm Brembo radial, something like that. The semi-technical explanation is, the F2 calipers only have 2 moving pistons each, total of 4. The RC has 4 pistons each, total of 8. So, roughly, you are having to move the lever twice as far to move the pistons the same amount. Result: Mush.
                    J.D. Hord
                    Keeper of Engine Nomenclature, 9th Order

Comment

• ovlovder
                      Hawk Rider
                      • Aug 2006

Yea, I kind of figured the 1/2" MC from an F2 was a bit small, especialy since a Hawk stock MC is the same size and is moving half the piston of the F2.

I think I may have been a combination of things though...

Comment

Working...