brake pad sweep question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

brake pad sweep question

If I go to a 220mm rear rotor (stock Hawk is 240), thoughts on possible effects of the brake pads not having full sweep on the rotor ?

school me wise ones
    Being able to ride from point A to Point B does not mean you have skills.

It will, as I am sure you expect, eventually cut a step in the pad (if the pad is not in contact with the rotor across its entire width). This will cause all sorts of crazy stuff, and I would recommend against it. If the difference was minor, you might consider removing (grinding) away the pad which will not touch rotor beforehand. If the pad is not too off center from the piston, it might be ok. Cutting the pad is difficult to do neatly though, and 10mm may be tough to absorb (near 1/2 in). Thats all the advice you get without...Pictures!

Comment

In addition to riots comment, if you retain the same caliper in same place (hence the uneven wear and step), you also get uneven force and the center of force from the piston is no longer in the center of the pads contact area. So, you'll wear a wedge into the contact portion and leave a step in the rest of the pad, which could end quite badly if the wedge draws the step in abruptly or something like that.
      Space is pretty tight back there too, so caliper replacing/moving could be pretty tricky.
      Cylonbros

Parts: CBR600F4 shock, mikuni fuel pump, givi screen, ZXR250C USD forks (front -15mm), renthal fatbars w full diamond grips, ti exhaust wrap, uni pods, factory 3.0 jetting, mumble V seat, shorai LiFePO4 battery
      Custom Parts: linkage (rear +30mm) and chain roller, pump mount, fork swap fitments and risers, caliper mount wing, frame sliders, ally subframe (-10kg), in-tail exhaust, battery/cdi/reg holder, hugger/chain guard, cowl, tail light, tail tidy

Comment

DB -

check this out: http://www.braketech.com/index.php?o...=47&Itemid=103

WW

edit: NVM - lists as rear but description sure sounds like front
        Life is a journey, not a destination.

Comment

Just curious, why do you want to go to a different size rotor?
          http://www.ebay.com/itm/88-91-Honda-...b107ab&vxp=mtr
          Brian - Richland, WA
          1991 Hawk GT
          1997 VFR

Comment

If you are using a stock caliper and hanger, I bet it wouldn't be to difficult to relocate the holes 10mm nearer the center. Might require some grinding and cursing, but maybe doable.

Comment

Move the caliper or go to a different narrow sweep caliper.....ISR maybe.

Comment

Originally Posted by behindthetimes View Post
                Move the caliper or go to a different narrow sweep caliper.....ISR maybe.
                hmmm, maybe a winner

thanks for the replies, much to contemplate..........
                Being able to ride from point A to Point B does not mean you have skills.

Comment

Working...
                X