Grom / MSX tail light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grom / MSX tail light

I have cheap but decent looking led turn signals that were on the bike when I bought it. However they are cheap and the plastic cover just fell off one. Also when indicating a right turn they all flash like hazards. So as I think about replacing them I'm looking at all the grom brake lights around me which are about the same size and so much brighter, and there are loads of aftermarket grom lights that have integrated turn signals. Has anyone fitted grom brake lights?

Do it - and post pics!

WW
    Life is a journey, not a destination.

Comment

Those are really nice. I would if you could transplant into the Hawk housing?
      Brian - Richland, WA
      1991 Hawk GT
      1997 VFR

Comment

My Son did this on his Hawk. He bought an aftermarket fiberglass race replica seat cowl from Air-Tech Streamlining though and cut the hole to fit. The stock tail light hole is a bit big.

Here's the final product:

He made a bracket and attached the light to the subframe instead of the rear cowl. I couldn't find a picture of it but he has a video on Facebook of the setup: https://www.facebook.com/scott.kelle...1555382190436/

Mark
        88 HawkGT (original owner)
        99 Concours
        02 VFR800

Comment

That picture of the light inside the original hole is exactly what I wanted to see

Originally Posted by Tusk View Post
          My Son did this on his Hawk. He bought an aftermarket fiberglass race replica seat cowl from Air-Tech Streamlining though and cut the hole to fit. The stock tail light hole is a bit big.

Here's the final product:

He made a bracket and attached the light to the subframe instead of the rear cowl. I couldn't find a picture of it but he has a video on Facebook of the setup: https://www.facebook.com/scott.kelle...1555382190436/

That looks very good. I'd love to see the video but it is not public so only his facebook friends can see it

Comment

That's REALLY slick. Nice work.
            1988 "BlackHawk" project
            1989 "RallyHawk" is Chuck's now!
            1988 "The Gray" Tempest Gray Metallic stocker

I can't tell you how peaceful it is. Shinya Kimura
            People who know ride Hawks. Riot

Comment

OK Kids, I downloaded my son's video from Facebook and posted it to my Photobucket page. It should be public for all to see. (note: He's technically my Step-son so he still calls me "Mr. Mark" - you'll hear that in the audio.)

http://s82.photobucket.com/user/ogzr..._hawk.mp4.html
              Mark
              99 Concours
              02 VFR800

Comment

Looks good, Are these available on Amazon. I am planning to replace the stock lamps on my Grom 125 with these. They look really good.
                Last edited by jhonson.glen; 03-18-2021, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Indeed they are: https://www.amazon.com/Yibid-Integra...s%2C156&sr=8-2 Others are listed as well.

I still have the video of my son's setup but I do not have the pics. I can try to get them from my son again. I think I need to change the format to post.

Here's the video: It's 6 years old and done with an older phone so apologies for the poor quality.

Last edited by Tusk; 03-12-2021, 07:08 AM.
                  Mark
                  99 Concours
                  02 VFR800

Comment

Very cool tail light!

Rats! I dunno the technical issue ... I can’t see the photos and I’m not on FB anymore.

Was a photo posted of the Grom light in the stock Hawk Cowl?
                    Bi-Coastal U.S.A.: Los Angeles, CA and Long Island, NY

Comment

Same here no pictures!!!!

Comment

I put the video on Youtube (above). The pics were lost in the forum rebuild. I'll check in with son and see if he has them stashed somewhere. He bought a cowl from Air-Tech and cut the race plate section off. It came with no tail light hole. So he was able to cut a hole to fit the grom light. Here's the cowl he bought:

NT6503S-1.jpg

https://airtech-streamlining.com/hon...6501988-90.htm
                        Mark
                        99 Concours
                        02 VFR800

Comment

Very cool. Id also like to see the final pics.
                          Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

Comment

Update. I finally got some pics from my Son. He only had them on Instagram so I had to kind of cut them and.... well, here they are:

Mark
                            99 Concours
                            02 VFR800

Comment

Do those brake light setups have a board behind the lens that can be trimmed some by chance?
                              88 Blue Hawk GT - Under construction but rideable (guest approved)
                              89 BlackHawk 2.0 - On the lift and being assembled
                              90 Hawk GT (color as to yet be determined) - Still on the shelf in crates

2002 DL1000 V-Strom - Workhorse. beat it, flog it, it keeps on going...

Comment

Working...
                              X