Forks and yokes and shocks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by riot View Post

Oh neat. Can anyone confirm what the exact offsets are for the 43mm forks? I have an F4 front end, perhaps the VFR triples can help me avoid pestering WW about adjustable triples again. Any other options?
    Haven't got exact offsets confirmed, but have seen offsets stated as 36mm and 40mm. I really like the idea of having WW making some nice RC31 triples with bigger offsets - the VFR triples does not accomodate the RC31 clocks or headlight, so it is not a direct swap. Most other frontends will also lose the speedo drive, so more work...

Comment

Yes,the relationship of rake/trail is inextricable.Can't eat just one.Not to divulge any groundbreaking secret ,but.. (for just these reasons and I did it myself)..NorthAmerican's gold bike was a chopper.Ever ridden one?

Comment

Originally Posted by JanM View Post

Yes. But working with geometry you can't change one thing without changing something else at the same time - in the case of adding offset to get less trail for a quicker steering, you also get a longer wheelbase, which requires more lean angle for the same turn and speed. For the RC31 there is already a lot of trail, and by fitting a lower front and a taller rear everything quickens up. If using a more modern front with less offset the change also gives more trail. Having the option of using more offset is just another parameter.

The focus on trail is usually related to setting up modern racebikes, when you add a longer shock and taller rear tire trail goes down, and this is bad on a racebike as it takes away the front end feeling midturn and usually leads to the front washing out and a crash. Too little trail is bad, too much is sluggish...
        Man I love the direction this thread is going in! I've read a lot of your posts JanM and BTT on here talking about forks and geometry but now I feel like I learnt something new yet again xD
        Look out, a beer!

Comment

I've read most of Jan's posts myself! I just remember shit.Don't you love it when he's on?Now that you know everything......what's the call?Been awhile since we had a ...fresh fish.

Comment

Yeah, to be honest I love reading all the existing threads here from long time members - it's either really good information pertaining to mechanics or engineering in general, or to these bikes; or both!

So, as for the call I think I will start by starting a build thread always good to keep motivation by having accountability. I spent a bit of time yesterday looking at JanM's idea of F4 forks and VFR yokes (F4 parts are pretty prolific in the UK, as are the bikes). *However*, I decided to make the final call when I get to actually putting bits on the bike. For the time being I want to pull everything apart, clean, inspect and replace/repair as needed; particularly the engine which I think is due for a bit of an overhaul.
            Look out, a beer!

Comment

Working...
            X