Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to me Ohlins ride height and spring rate questions

Hi all,

What's a reasonable eye to eye length to have the shock set to? I am thinking around 315 mm and a 1300 lb spring. I weight around 200 but street ride and prefer a softer setting on the bumpy roads we have.

Adam

Depends if you have a chain roller.You can raise the rear about 10mm before you need one.
    Last edited by behindthetimes; 5 Days Ago.

Comment

1300 is good for a 200lb-der as a street soft springrate.I used a 1200 for awhile for the same thing-bumpy roads....150lbs on a 317 lb bike.I have mycbr900 ohlins set high(320+mm)(a secret)
      and am currently using a 1300. Just use the preload adjustor to get your sag #'s right.

Comment

Originally Posted by behindthetimes View Post
        1300 is good for a 200lb-der as a street soft springrate.I used a 1200 for awhile for the same thing-bumpy roads....150lbs on a 317 lb bike.I have mycbr900 ohlins set high(320+mm)(a secret)
        and am currently using a 1300. Just use the preload adjustor to get your sag #'s right.
        I like a 1400 on the track, 1300 on the street, i weigh 190 but that is ALL rider preference... What i like may be wrong for you. I also jack the rear end of the bike up about as high as i can safely raise it. But again, preference. Get the sag numbers close. You may find you have trouble getting them both right depending on your spring. Find a happy medium. make sure there is at least some bike sag.

If your spring is soft you may find you need to crank in a fuckton of preload to get your rider sag number on.. The the bike will want to buck when you de-weight it. So make sure there is at least some static sag.

Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

Comment

If you are keeping the stock exhaust, then 315 mm is about the max length (10 mm longer than stock) you can go with. 10 mm (0.39") doesn't sound like a lot, but it will raise the back end about 42mm (1.65"). This will help improve rake (trail a bit) for more spirited riding; nothing too wild as the Hawk has mild numbers. You will find you can also slip the forks up a bit to improve rake (and trail a bit) a little more - but don't go too far. Try 10 mm. These changes might require a sidestand change (longer). I stayed with the centerstand so I didn't change the sidestand.

With your stated riding preference, I would suggest you start with about 13 mm of spring preload as a starting point to set sag and adjust from there to set initial sag. As 6 indicates, don't set the sag too low.

Post back what you go with and tell us what Ohlins shock you are using; is it new or recently rebuilt? Just curious.

Jerry

Comment

stock exhaust = 310mm max; i have 1400 on the street, preload 8mm, it's comfortable enough (185lbs)
            Last edited by hnm; 3 Days Ago.
            88 Tempest Gray California Model, desmoged, Wilbers 640 rear shock, CBR600f3 front internals, F/R custom springs, SS Brake lines F/R lines through SSA, Nissin 3-pot F caliper, CB-1 front fender, Factory Pro Jet Stage 3, Ram-Air Pods, CBR600f3 clip-ons, Fuel Diablo MicroMini exhaust, 17T/44T F/R sprockets, CBR600f2 speedo, frinesi2's chainroller, Reload's framesliders, F-110/70 R-160/60 Michelin PR3

Comment

Working...
            X