Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this the correct shock?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #31
    Traxxion Dynamics got back to me and they no longer rebuild Progressive Suspension shocks.
    FWIW - I've read nothing but negative comments about PS and their lack of support.

    Comment


      #32
      Maybe i missed this, but are you sure it needs a rebuild?
      Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

      Comment


        #33
        Originally Posted by 6 View Post
        Maybe i missed this, but are you sure it needs a rebuild?
        Fair point, I'm working from the assumption that it will so I was hedging my bets. If would be great if it doesn't need it as I don't have to spend the dough.

        Comment


          #34
          Originally Posted by DavidR8 View Post

          Fair point, I'm working from the assumption that it will so I was hedging my bets. If would be great if it doesn't need it as I don't have to spend the dough.
          Chuck and i dug out an old shock, i think it was progressive. Mounted it up, checked the adjustments, they worked, all was good. Make sure it damps, if it does just mount it. .
          Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

          Comment


            #35
            Originally Posted by 6 View Post

            Chuck and i dug out an old shock, i think it was progressive. Mounted it up, checked the adjustments, they worked, all was good. Make sure it damps, if it does just mount it. .
            Thanks @6, I appreciate that. My opinion of what's going to be usable goes down every time I dig a bit further. The knackered exhaust can tells me that the PO bought a project bike, started on it and discovered that it was going to take a lot work to get it going again.
            Rather like mparker discovered on his Mystery Bike build. Full kudos to him for pushing through that!
            I hope I'm wrong on this. No matter what I'm committed to getting it done as I've always wanted one of these beauties.
            Last edited by DavidR8; 4 Weeks Ago.

            Comment


              #36
              Safe and "usable" are not always the same.. I would make it safe, ride it, then make it what you want little by little. Personally i am WAY more likely to keep going if im actually using it. And you get to enjoy your mods as you do them.
              Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

              Comment


                #37
                https://www.ebay.com/itm/Penske-Rear...53.m1438.l2649

                This is 305mm eye to eye with a 62mm stroke.Traxxion can make you a Hawk shock but you're still $600 in....I made a shock stretcher....but Penske should be able to supply that part.
                I have 2 WP R6 shocks.....but this Penske has a remote res......will fit. more stuff 009.JPG If you add 10mm it's right in there.

                Still.....A Penske from Hord is the best bet. PS....I always make a lowball offer.Like $275....300.

                Comment


                  #38
                  Originally Posted by behindthetimes View Post
                  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Penske-Rear...53.m1438.l2649

                  This is 305mm eye to eye with a 62mm stroke.Traxxion can make you a Hawk shock but you're still $600 in....I made a shock stretcher....but Penske should be able to supply that part.
                  I have 2 WP R6 shocks.....but this Penske has a remote res......will fit. more stuff 009.JPG If you add 10mm it's right in there.

                  Still.....A Penske from Hord is the best bet. PS....I always make a lowball offer.Like $275....300.
                  Isnít that also going to have the same issues as a CBR shock re valving and spring rate?

                  Comment


                    #39
                    Originally Posted by behindthetimes View Post
                    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Penske-Rear...53.m1438.l2649

                    This is 305mm eye to eye with a 62mm stroke.Traxxion can make you a Hawk shock but you're still $600 in....I made a shock stretcher....but Penske should be able to supply that part.
                    I have 2 WP R6 shocks.....but this Penske has a remote res......will fit. more stuff 009.JPG If you add 10mm it's right in there.

                    Still.....A Penske from Hord is the best bet. PS....I always make a lowball offer.Like $275....300.
                    The only benefit to the remote res is it helps with fade. I can say with 100% certainty i have never pushed a bike on the street to the point of starting to get the shock to fade. When i used the non res shocks on the race bike (i have tried it on two bikes, one for three seasons on the ex500) I get about two/three laps in before they really start to let go. NO ONE is doing to their street shock what i have to do to those bikes to get them to start to fall off. . . I dont believe it is a necessity on the street except for bragging rights.

                    Ya, it looks cool mounted there. Not something i would concern myself with.
                    Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

                    Comment


                      #40
                      Originally Posted by DavidR8 View Post

                      Isnít that also going to have the same issues as a CBR shock re valving and spring rate?
                      Yes - BTT's info of shock length and stroke does not pertain to that specific Penske shock, but are values from the similar Ohlins offering for that bike. And it needs a new damping setup (usually just shims), a new spring and new collars for the eyelets, maybe a longer eyelet to make the shock longer. Which is why BTT guesstimates USD 600,- - which sounds fair but could be more expensive depending on the actual state of the shock.

                      That specific shock is a Penske 8981 with the 6 different compression settings and the normal rebound adjuster.

                      Comment


                        #41
                        Originally Posted by 6 View Post

                        The only benefit to the remote res is it helps with fade. I can say with 100% certainty i have never pushed a bike on the street to the point of starting to get the shock to fade. When i used the non res shocks on the race bike (i have tried it on two bikes, one for three seasons on the ex500) I get about two/three laps in before they really start to let go. NO ONE is doing to their street shock what i have to do to those bikes to get them to start to fall off. . . I dont believe it is a necessity on the street except for bragging rights.

                        Ya, it looks cool mounted there. Not something i would concern myself with.
                        I wouldn't say that the only benefit of the reservoir is to minimize fade - it actually adds a basevalve (the compression adjuster) which aside from giving some adjustability, also allows the shock to run with a lower internal pressure, which makes it more supple. But I do agree in that almost anyone will be satisfied with the performance of good quality aftermarket shocks with lower spec (Nitron R1, Penske 8900, 8975(DL), Ohlins STX46 - if they made one for the Hawk...).

                        Comment


                          #42
                          The ironic part is that the remote reservoir for my shock is mounted right next to the exhaust can. That seems to be a bad idea.

                          Comment


                            #43
                            Originally Posted by DavidR8 View Post

                            Isnít that also going to have the same issues as a CBR shock re valving and spring rate?
                            Yes...a spring is about $80 and a rebuild/reshim last I checked around $225-250.Could be more.Both the shocks I built ended around the $800 mark.One Ohlins,one Mupo.
                            Jan is our Guru though.....The YSS may be perfectly serviceable.Nobody knows yet.You WILL be amazed when you get a good shock and the forks doctored.

                            Comment


                              #44
                              Iím going to assess the state of the existing shock, especially now that thereís a local shop that will rebuild if necessary. Iím also going with Emulators in the front.

                              Comment


                                #45
                                Originally Posted by JanM View Post

                                I wouldn't say that the only benefit of the reservoir is to minimize fade - it actually adds a basevalve (the compression adjuster) which aside from giving some adjustability, also allows the shock to run with a lower internal pressure, which makes it more supple. But I do agree in that almost anyone will be satisfied with the performance of good quality aftermarket shocks with lower spec (Nitron R1, Penske 8900, 8975(DL), Ohlins STX46 - if they made one for the Hawk...).
                                Ok, can you explain (or point me in the direction of where to lean) how the compression adjust allows you to run with a lower pressure, and what that helps?

                                I know we are getting WAY into the area of shit that is only NEEDED by a small fraction of users, but i'm still curious.

                                Also,

                                I have had very little (read almost no) use for the compression adjustment. I want the shock to compress as fast as it needs to, as much as the spring rate will allow in order to absorb whatever is making it compress . Why would i want to tune the compression damping? I almost exclusively adjust rebound.

                                I know i have a "ride it better" mentality to fine tuning, and i find most shit to be snake oil as far as the use on street bikes go... but... This i really am baffled by and i know that is it considered important even by some people at the the upper levels of club racing. (I still think its snake oil for street use)
                                Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X