No announcement yet.

Is this the correct shock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traxxion Dynamics got back to me and they no longer rebuild Progressive Suspension shocks.
    FWIW - I've read nothing but negative comments about PS and their lack of support.

Comment

Maybe i missed this, but are you sure it needs a rebuild?
      Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

Comment

Originally Posted by 6 View Post
        Maybe i missed this, but are you sure it needs a rebuild?
        Fair point, I'm working from the assumption that it will so I was hedging my bets. If would be great if it doesn't need it as I don't have to spend the dough.

Comment

Originally Posted by DavidR8 View Post

Fair point, I'm working from the assumption that it will so I was hedging my bets. If would be great if it doesn't need it as I don't have to spend the dough.
          Chuck and i dug out an old shock, i think it was progressive. Mounted it up, checked the adjustments, they worked, all was good. Make sure it damps, if it does just mount it. .

Comment

Chuck and i dug out an old shock, i think it was progressive. Mounted it up, checked the adjustments, they worked, all was good. Make sure it damps, if it does just mount it. .
            Thanks @6, I appreciate that. My opinion of what's going to be usable goes down every time I dig a bit further. The knackered exhaust can tells me that the PO bought a project bike, started on it and discovered that it was going to take a lot work to get it going again.
            Rather like mparker discovered on his Mystery Bike build. Full kudos to him for pushing through that!
            I hope I'm wrong on this. No matter what I'm committed to getting it done as I've always wanted one of these beauties.
            Last edited by DavidR8; 4 Weeks Ago.

Comment

Safe and "usable" are not always the same.. I would make it safe, ride it, then make it what you want little by little. Personally i am WAY more likely to keep going if im actually using it. And you get to enjoy your mods as you do them.

Comment

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Penske-Rear...53.m1438.l2649

This is 305mm eye to eye with a 62mm stroke.Traxxion can make you a Hawk shock but you're still $600 in....I made a shock stretcher....but Penske should be able to supply that part.
                I have 2 WP R6 shocks.....but this Penske has a remote res......will fit. more stuff 009.JPG If you add 10mm it's right in there.

Still.....A Penske from Hord is the best bet. PS....I always make a lowball offer.Like $275....300.

Comment

Originally Posted by behindthetimes View Post

This is 305mm eye to eye with a 62mm stroke.Traxxion can make you a Hawk shock but you're still $600 in....I made a shock stretcher....but Penske should be able to supply that part.
                  I have 2 WP R6 shocks.....but this Penske has a remote res......will fit. more stuff 009.JPG If you add 10mm it's right in there.

Still.....A Penske from Hord is the best bet. PS....I always make a lowball offer.Like $275....300.
                  Isnít that also going to have the same issues as a CBR shock re valving and spring rate?

Comment

Originally Posted by behindthetimes View Post

The only benefit to the remote res is it helps with fade. I can say with 100% certainty i have never pushed a bike on the street to the point of starting to get the shock to fade. When i used the non res shocks on the race bike (i have tried it on two bikes, one for three seasons on the ex500) I get about two/three laps in before they really start to let go. NO ONE is doing to their street shock what i have to do to those bikes to get them to start to fall off. . . I dont believe it is a necessity on the street except for bragging rights.

Ya, it looks cool mounted there. Not something i would concern myself with.

Comment

Isnít that also going to have the same issues as a CBR shock re valving and spring rate?
                      Yes - BTT's info of shock length and stroke does not pertain to that specific Penske shock, but are values from the similar Ohlins offering for that bike. And it needs a new damping setup (usually just shims), a new spring and new collars for the eyelets, maybe a longer eyelet to make the shock longer. Which is why BTT guesstimates USD 600,- - which sounds fair but could be more expensive depending on the actual state of the shock.

That specific shock is a Penske 8981 with the 6 different compression settings and the normal rebound adjuster.

Comment

The only benefit to the remote res is it helps with fade. I can say with 100% certainty i have never pushed a bike on the street to the point of starting to get the shock to fade. When i used the non res shocks on the race bike (i have tried it on two bikes, one for three seasons on the ex500) I get about two/three laps in before they really start to let go. NO ONE is doing to their street shock what i have to do to those bikes to get them to start to fall off. . . I dont believe it is a necessity on the street except for bragging rights.

Ya, it looks cool mounted there. Not something i would concern myself with.
                        I wouldn't say that the only benefit of the reservoir is to minimize fade - it actually adds a basevalve (the compression adjuster) which aside from giving some adjustability, also allows the shock to run with a lower internal pressure, which makes it more supple. But I do agree in that almost anyone will be satisfied with the performance of good quality aftermarket shocks with lower spec (Nitron R1, Penske 8900, 8975(DL), Ohlins STX46 - if they made one for the Hawk...).

Comment

The ironic part is that the remote reservoir for my shock is mounted right next to the exhaust can. That seems to be a bad idea.

Comment

Yes...a spring is about $80 and a rebuild/reshim last I checked around $225-250.Could be more.Both the shocks I built ended around the $800 mark.One Ohlins,one Mupo.
                            Jan is our Guru though.....The YSS may be perfectly serviceable.Nobody knows yet.You WILL be amazed when you get a good shock and the forks doctored.

Comment

Iím going to assess the state of the existing shock, especially now that thereís a local shop that will rebuild if necessary. Iím also going with Emulators in the front.

Comment

Originally Posted by JanM View Post

I wouldn't say that the only benefit of the reservoir is to minimize fade - it actually adds a basevalve (the compression adjuster) which aside from giving some adjustability, also allows the shock to run with a lower internal pressure, which makes it more supple. But I do agree in that almost anyone will be satisfied with the performance of good quality aftermarket shocks with lower spec (Nitron R1, Penske 8900, 8975(DL), Ohlins STX46 - if they made one for the Hawk...).
                                Ok, can you explain (or point me in the direction of where to lean) how the compression adjust allows you to run with a lower pressure, and what that helps?

I know we are getting WAY into the area of shit that is only NEEDED by a small fraction of users, but i'm still curious.

Also,

I have had very little (read almost no) use for the compression adjustment. I want the shock to compress as fast as it needs to, as much as the spring rate will allow in order to absorb whatever is making it compress . Why would i want to tune the compression damping? I almost exclusively adjust rebound.

I know i have a "ride it better" mentality to fine tuning, and i find most shit to be snake oil as far as the use on street bikes go... but... This i really am baffled by and i know that is it considered important even by some people at the the upper levels of club racing. (I still think its snake oil for street use)

Comment

Working...
                                X