Looking for carb rebuild tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for carb rebuild tips

I am tearing into the carbs. This is my first internal carb adventure. My bike is a "barn" hawk that has been stationary for about 9 years. I was excepting to see more varnish from the gas in the float bowls, but they seem pretty clean. Is this to be expected? My plan is to get a stock carb rebuild kit and leave it with the factory jets and air cleaner for now. I am basically using carb cleaner on everything metal. Are there any areas I should look at specifically with a bike that has been sitting with gas in it for so long? Also, do you guys think I should go the whole way and remove the pilot screws, or leave them be since I am not rejetting?

Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Kip

What state is the inside of the tank like? Sitting for that long I'm sure it will be very rusty.
    "Life may begin at 40, but it doesn't get real interesting until about 150."

• '88 in Candy Flair Blue + '90 in Italian Red
    • Ohlins Rear Shock
    • F2 front wheel
    • VFR750 rear wheel
    • Hiperform seat&headers
    • MSMotorsport Seat Cowl
    • Steve Lenac Tokico six pot caliper

Comment

The tank is not good. The previous owner had someone try to line it. I am not sure how to judge, but to me it seems pretty bad. I can see the liner, but is bubbly in spots and you can hear stuff rattle in the tank. I am thinking I will have to get a different tank or I think you mentioned there are places that rebuild them. I believe it was run with the tank too, so I am guessing rust and whatever else may have run through the carbs.

Comment

Fuel Filter will probably have lots of red powder in it now. Hawk tanks are getting as rare as rocking horse sh!t so maybe best to see if you can find someone to open the underneath of the tank, clean inside and then reweld it back. This may mean a new paint job afterwards. Alot of radiator repair shops may take this job on.
        Or you could try the old trick of filling the tank with a handfull of nuts and
        giving it a good shake, this will help clean the inside of tank but depending how big the nuts are may dent the tank. Also trying to get the nuts back out again is a time consuming task.....
        POR15 do a DIY tank restoration kit but you need to follow the instructions to the letter.

PS When I stripped my carbs I laid out a clean white cloth on my kitchen table and took 1 carb apart at a time to clean with carb cleaner. Just incase you might mix the jets up.
        "Life may begin at 40, but it doesn't get real interesting until about 150."

• '88 in Candy Flair Blue + '90 in Italian Red
        • Ohlins Rear Shock
        • F2 front wheel
        • VFR750 rear wheel
        • Hiperform seat&headers
        • MSMotorsport Seat Cowl
        • Steve Lenac Tokico six pot caliper

Comment

cheap coke a cola is a great thing for cleaning out petrol tanks!

cheers
          Robs

Comment

Just sell that tank and get an F2 tank.
            BIKES: Honda: RC31 Racebike/ NT650 Streetbike, DUCATI: None at the moment.
            Former MSF Rider Coach / Trackday Instructor/ Expert Roadracer #116
            "I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow."

Comment

Working...
            X