Chain Tools?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chain Tools?

I'm looking for a chain tool. I don't want to spend $100 on it. That said, in the past I have had real bad luck breaking them, bending the pin adapters, not being able to get pins out, in, etc. I don't know why, but chain tools and me are not best friends.

I'm a master link guy at heart. But I need to pull a few links out if the speedway bike and I will every time I change gearing for the other track.

What do you guys use that actually work on tough chains?
    Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

My go to chain tool.
    Shop around for better pricing.

PBR Chain Tool - Motion Pro
    "Red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme"
    1952 Vincent Black Lightning by Richard Thompson

'88 Blue 99% stock SOLD
    '88 Restomod
    '16 Yamaha FJ-09

Comment

I have that tool also, but find that it doesn't self-center when you squeeze the plates on. I think there could be a better one on the market.

If you were looking for a support group you're barking up the wrong tree. This place is fulla enablers dude. - Shooter77us

The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the thrill of a low price has gone. - RacerX450

Comment

I have the Whale tool - excellent, but you still need to be careful and use it right. An angle grinder and a set of parallel pliers and a 2lb hammer are also good to have with the Whale tool...

Pro Riveting Tool Whale No. 50 For Chains 520-532, Riveting Tool, Extreme Robust | eBay

Comment

Originally Posted by JanM View Post
          I have the Whale tool - excellent, but you still need to be careful and use it right. An angle grinder and a set of parallel pliers and a 2lb hammer are also good to have with the Whale tool...

Pro Riveting Tool Whale No. 50 For Chains 520-532, Riveting Tool, Extreme Robust | eBay
          Looks stout, but way out of my budget.

Comment

Originally Posted by 6 View Post
            I'm looking for a chain tool. I don't want to spend $100 on it. That said, in the past I have had real bad luck breaking them, bending the pin adapters, not being able to get pins out, in, etc. I don't know why, but chain tools and me are not best friends.

I'm a master link guy at heart. But I need to pull a few links out if the speedway bike and I will every time I change gearing for the other track.

What do you guys use that actually work on tough chains?
            Die grinder. big hammer and a 1/8 drift.

Comment

I have a Motion Pro set that has served me well. I can't remember what I paid for it, but I recall it was just under $100.
              Attached Files
              ASMA #139

Comment

Ive only ever used the Motion Pro.

Comment

Well, chuck came buy with his chain tool.

Finally looked at instructions and learned what all those extra pieces do... And why I always break them.

Then proceeded to break it on him.

But hey, we got the links out.... .
                  Last edited by 6; 05-20-2021, 10:03 AM.

Comment

I have a tool (can't remember what kind) but I only use it for riveting the master. I don't bother using a tool to take the chain off. Since I am tossing the chain anyway, I just use a hacksaw. Crude I know but no fuss, no muss.
                    Brian - Richland, WA
                    1991 Hawk GT
                    1997 VFR

Comment

Originally Posted by bk94si View Post
                      I have a tool (can't remember what kind) but I only use it for riveting the master. I don't bother using a tool to take the chain off. Since I am tossing the chain anyway, I just use a hacksaw. Crude I know but no fuss, no muss.
                      I'm with you.

I always take chains off with an angle grinder and on with a clip master. Now I need to be able to add and remove two links whenever I need to change gearing, which can sometimes be a couple times in a race night.

With that situation I want to be able to keep the links I need in the box and not have to have a string of masters to get the job done.

I've never had an issue with clip masters, I've also never had a bike this brutal on power delivery or in how harsh the ride is..

I don't want to learn that lesson by putting a chain though an engine case.

​​​​​

Comment

6 - you could have two chains...

Comment

Do you break the tool breaking the old chain?

I save some tool wear by cutting the old chain off and only using the tool to press plates and flaring the rivet.

If you were looking for a support group you're barking up the wrong tree. This place is fulla enablers dude. - Shooter77us

The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the thrill of a low price has gone. - RacerX450

Comment

I have a dremel with a cut off blade. I cut the ends sticking through the place off then with the blade recess grind a little more around the pins. Usually the plate will pull right off with a screw driver. I have a very cheap chain tool set I think I got off eBay for 20 bucks. It will drive them out once ground off when a screwdriver does not work. Cutting off the ends makes it easier on the tool too. Riveting the new master with it takes a fair amount of strength but does get the job done.
                            Bill,
                            88 Blue Hawk (bike #39), 89 Red Hawk, 2021 Rebel 1100 (bike 41) Some Past/sold in reverse order:,FZ09,97 Magna #1&2 , 97 VFR750F, 87 VFR400R, 88 Hawk, 86 SRX 600, 77 RD400, 79 CB650, 04 VFR, 88 Blue Hawk, 89 Red Hawk, Yamaha SRX600, Harley 1200C, Yamaha RD400, Harley 883R, Yamaha 750 triple, Vlx600, Honda 450, Honda 400, CB550F, Kawasaki H1, BMW R69US, Yamaha R5C 350, Honda 160, Bridgestone 175, 1950 Harley 74 w/sidecar, 65 Harley 250 Sprint, 1948 Harley and my 1st bike-1941 Harley 74 knucklehead my dad gave in1963.

Comment

Originally Posted by JanM View Post
                              6 - you could have two chains...
                              Thats a very, very good point Jan.

Comment

Working...
                              X