Factory carb settings/recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Factory carb settings/recommendations

I just recently decided to put my Hawk back together as is instead of doing any real mods to it. I have a Keyster carb kit I purchased years ago that has 140 and 135 jets and those are the only numbers present. I've seen a ton of info here about tuning carbs on modified Hawks, but haven't seen anything for someone who is going to just clean them up and run them as is. I have the factory airbox and exhaust. I may have to upgrade the intake if those filters are wrecked, but don't plan on messing with the exhaust right now.
    Could I upgrade the air cleaner(s) without also upgrading the exhaust?
    Should I stretch the springs?
    Should I shim the needles?
    Of the four jets I have (140, 135 and presumably the stock 138 and 132) which would work best on a bone stock Hawk?
    I'm certain this has been covered, but it seems to be evading me quite well right now.
    Thank you,
    Gator

I think stock is 138 and 140 but I could be wrong. If you change the air filter, you will need a different jet kit, even if you use the stock exhaust.
    Brian - Richland, WA
    1991 Hawk GT
    1997 VFR

Comment

Update: I partially disassembled the carbs. Not sure about the main jets but they may be 142s. Very hard to read though. The needles are are the ones with the four grooves on top and they had a shim underneath them. Not sure how to tell what idle jet I have because I don't see any numbers on the old ones or the new ones.
      Also, my air filter is definitely smoked. Would it be easier to do a new stock filter or just go with pods?
      Gator

Comment

Working...
      X