Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gear Selector issue?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Gear Selector issue?

    Hi all, so I've managed to get the engine from project basket case on my bench and upon taking the clutch cover off have noticed an issue. The gearbox won't cycle through the gears. The shifter rod moves fine and that movement translates via the rod to the clutch side and the associated assembly, but it doesn't seem to actually select any gears. (I've tried to move the selector whilst turning the engine, hoping for the usual positive, mechanical 'click into a gear.

    I'm not familiar with these engines yet, so can anyone tell me if:

    A) There are any common issues with gear section in these engines I should know about?

    B) if the way the gear selector star is sitting looks right? (The Haynes manual doesn't show the selector star clearly enough)

    Any other thoughts welcome.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.

    #2
    I hope this helps, here is what mine looks like in neutral with the clutch basket removed....

    IMG_0280.JPG

    Comment


      #3
      The black lever assembly moves with the shifter. Does the black lever assembly move the star piece? That star piece has a sprung arm that keeps it in any gear and also makes the click feel. You have to remove your clutch basket to see if it looks like the prior picture from RealRed96. The end of the arm has a follower wheel.
      Eric Y.
      NT663/VFR800/CBR600F4i
      Yuzon Designworks

      Comment


        #4
        Thanks very much, that's really helpful. I'll be removing the clutch today to check it all over so once it's off I'll be able to see what's going on. Thanks very much for the reference photo.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally Posted by Jetblack View Post
          Thanks very much, that's really helpful. I'll be removing the clutch today to check it all over so once it's off I'll be able to see what's going on. Thanks very much for the reference photo.
          Do you have a copy of the service manual? as in a PDF or otherwise? Check the sticky section and there is one you cand ownload if you need it. It's actually quite good for a lot of detail photo of internals as well.
          88 Blue Hawk GT - Under construction but rideable (guest approved)
          89 BlackHawk 2.0 - On the lift and being assembled
          90 Hawk GT (color as to yet be determined) - Still on the shelf in crates

          Comment


            #6
            Originally Posted by rpcraft View Post

            Do you have a copy of the service manual? as in a PDF or otherwise? Check the sticky section and there is one you cand ownload if you need it. It's actually quite good for a lot of detail photo of internals as well.
            Yeah, got a PDF of the Haynes.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally Posted by eyhonda View Post
              The black lever assembly moves with the shifter. Does the black lever assembly move the star piece? That star piece has a sprung arm that keeps it in any gear and also makes the click feel. You have to remove your clutch basket to see if it looks like the prior picture from RealRed96. The end of the arm has a follower wheel.
              Yes the black lever moves the star wheel will like a clock escapement system which cannot be seen on the photo, it is behind the star wheel

              Comment


                #8
                rotate the countershaft or rock the rear tire back and forth while shifting....
                Gino
                Chain Roller

                NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE PREDICTABILITY OF STUPIDITY

                2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
                2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
                2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
                LRRS HAWK GT Racer CCS Expert #929
                ECK RACING

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally Posted by Jetblack View Post

                  Yeah, got a PDF of the Haynes.
                  I'm not sure how good the Haynes book is overall but if given a choice between it and the pdf service manual I'm thinking I would go with the service manual, especially given that its available.
                  88 Blue Hawk GT - Under construction but rideable (guest approved)
                  89 BlackHawk 2.0 - On the lift and being assembled
                  90 Hawk GT (color as to yet be determined) - Still on the shelf in crates

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Haynes manuals are for absolute pieces of shit. But the pictures would be for pieces of trash, and there would be a note that your model may differ.

                    Delete the file and download the Honda FSM.

                    If you were looking for a support group you're barking up the wrong tree. This place is fulla enablers dude. - Shooter77us

                    The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the thrill of a low price has gone. - RacerX450

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally Posted by ParcNHawk View Post
                      Haynes manuals are for absolute pieces of shit. But the pictures would be for pieces of trash, and there would be a note that your model may differ.

                      Delete the file and download the Honda FSM.
                      I was waiting patiently for you to come along and shit on the Haynes "manual", lol.
                      88 Blue Hawk GT - Under construction but rideable (guest approved)
                      89 BlackHawk 2.0 - On the lift and being assembled
                      90 Hawk GT (color as to yet be determined) - Still on the shelf in crates

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally Posted by rpcraft View Post

                        I was waiting patiently for you to come along and shit on the Haynes "manual", lol.
                        Oh they make horrible toilet paper, too

                        If you were looking for a support group you're barking up the wrong tree. This place is fulla enablers dude. - Shooter77us

                        The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the thrill of a low price has gone. - RacerX450

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X