Clutch plates bluing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch plates bluing?

Okay group, I know this is probably a basic bitch question but here it goes. I just pulled my clutch cover cuz I had some slippage going on, I ordered a clutch kit but the metal plates they sent were wrong fit.

Now I have the "stock plates" which may have some minor bluing maybe slight discoloration on them, what is the group's opinion on reusing the old plates?

Is it sufficient to just scuff them up a little bit, clean them up, and slap them back in? Or is this something that we will require me getting new plates, I believe the thicknesses are within tolerance.

I think they would be okay unless they are warped. Not sure about the scuffing up though, might make them too "sticky". That said, I really don't know.
    Brian - Richland, WA
    1991 Hawk GT
    1997 VFR

Comment

I have re-used metal plates with slight blueing areas with no problems. As long as they didn't look "fried", I was pretty sure I would be ok. And with a new gasket, I could swap them out pretty easy if I did experience some chattering (never had to). I will sometimes take some emery cloth and give them a quick rough up across the swept area, perpendicular to normal wear, followed by a real good cleaning. My experience is it has not made them prone to being sticky or grabby.
      Last edited by Captain 80s; 07-19-2021, 04:47 PM.
      "I couldn't afford NOT to buy it!"

Comment

Good info Captain. I agree likewise, The plates look fine aside from a little spot or two of blueing. Not to mention they're not cheap anyways.

Comment

The blue is just witness from heat.

Comment

Working...
          X