Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swing arm refurbishment

Hi folks

How easy is it to remove the front swing arm bearings?

My arm is very shabby and I want to get it anodised? Has anyone had theirs re anodised...

Cheers

It isn't anodized to begin with. And you do need a special tool to remove the nut.
    Brian - Richland, WA
    1991 Hawk GT
    1997 VFR

Comment

Hi that's welcome news on the cost front. What is the original finish? Is it just paint?

I can buy the correct peg socket, I'll run to whatever is needed.

Comment

You need one of these:
        https://www.hordpower.com/index.php?...1jph5nvmastjm0

And I believe the finish is paint with a clear coat.
        Brian - Richland, WA
        1991 Hawk GT
        1997 VFR

Comment

https://www.hordpower.com/index.php?...1jph5nvmastjm0
          Brian - Richland, WA
          1991 Hawk GT
          1997 VFR

Comment

Thanks, that's much appreciated I'll have a look in my toolbox as I think I might have one like that from a CBX I had built.

In the FSM I have it says you have to press the bearings out, is there a way without the press, like using a bolt and spacer to draw them out.

Comment

Before you take it all apart, you might try:
              1) Scrubbing with some Bon Ami powder (a gentle cleaner which will not scratch) and a bristle brush. You could be surprised.
              2) If the original clear epoxy is worn through or damaged, working with a Red 3M Scotchbrite pad will give you a nice brushed aluminum finish.

Comment

I've been able to bring most of them back with my favorite cleaning formula. Gas.

A cup of gas and a brush. Maybe some brake clean to spread off the gas sludge. You can get at the majority of it with it on. But I appreciate you being willing to go all the way with it. Remember besides the paint check/do the bearings while it's out.
                Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

Comment

Thanks folks, the bike is partly stripped now and there were no siezed bolts engine mounts or swing arm so all good there. I'll post back as I make some progress. Just now I'm back to the Suzuki triple

Comment

Cast items like the swingarm won't anodize fwiw. if you want them colored you would have to paint, powder coat, or similar methods.
                    88 Blue Hawk GT - Under construction but rideable (guest approved)
                    89 BlackHawk 2.0 - On the lift and being assembled
                    90 Hawk GT (color as to yet be determined) - Still on the shelf in crates

Comment

Thanks for the information. My arm has surface corrosion below the lower shock mount and at the back. I have a.choice either to get it really bright and degreased and clear coat or to etch prime paint and lacquer. I'm leaning towards the latter as I have a nice bright silver cellulose with a metallic component

Comment

I say degrease it, clean with scotchbrite, rinse it, the out it back together and ride. It’s going to be mostly hidden anyways. The only reason tos pend a lot of time on surface prep is if you are going to paint or coat somehow.
                        88 Blue Hawk GT - Under construction but rideable (guest approved)
                        89 BlackHawk 2.0 - On the lift and being assembled
                        90 Hawk GT (color as to yet be determined) - Still on the shelf in crates

Comment

Working...
                        X