Little Deuce Coupe, the song...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Little Deuce Coupe, the song...

Today I learned something that i have wondered about since I was a child.

"She's ported and relieved and she stroked and bored"

Ok, cool.... But what the fack is "relieved" never knew, got older, eventually just called bullshit on the term and moved on..

Today I'm watching a vid with a dude getting an old flat head running. He flips the head over, points at two small channels grooved in between the valve and piston sides of the head and said "oh, look, it's relieved. They used to do this on hot rods and some trucks" he slaps the head on, starts bolting it down and my mind blows wide open.

"She's just a Little Deuce Coupe with a flathead Mill"

It all makes sense now!!!

Merry. Christmas. Andy.

"And if you dont know, now you know" umm. "people" let's go with people. (See if anyone can place that one)

And he was correct, he's got a little duce coupe, and I didn't know what he's got...

Merry Christmas Guys and Gals and anyone else!
    Last edited by 6; 12-25-2021, 11:13 AM.
    Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

Mods can you please move this to the Off Topic section?

Comment

Originally Posted by Remy View Post
      Mods can you please move this to the Off Topic section?
      I'm an Admin, and it's mechanical/technical in nature sir.

Comment

The modern OHV equivalent is called unshrouding. Basically what it means is making sure airflow can move past the head of the valve at all lifts. IE, if the valve is lifted off the seat 10mm by the cam, it does no good if there's only a 5mm gap between the combustion chamber edge and valve head. In a lot of designs flow is shrouded by the cylinder wall, combustion chamber, etc. In some ways it can't be helped because you have to fit 4 valves into the diameter of the bore, maintain a certain compression ratio, etc. The move to shallower valve included valve angles has helped a lot.
        J.D. Hord
        Keeper of Engine Nomenclature, 9th Order

Comment

Andy, I had to laugh a little at the move the thread comment, lol.

Valve reliefs and other type of clearance cuts are all too important when building strokers and all kinds of high power tight clearance applications! I'm learning a lot more about all kinds of stuff like that as of late thanks to inheriting a Harley Shovelhead!
          88 Blue Hawk GT - Under construction but rideable (guest approved)
          89 BlackHawk 2.0 - On the lift and being assembled
          90 Hawk GT (color as to yet be determined) - Still on the shelf in crates

Comment

When Henry Ford and his engineers designed the flathead V-8 they were faced with a number of issues, including the problems of breathing and cooling in a mass produced engine. For 1932, it was a tricky bit of design. Unfortunately, the arrangement of the exhaust ports within the block was a serious limitation for hot rodders. But I still love the sound of a flathead ticking over smoothly. And 80 hp in a light car was pretty exciting in those days.

Comment

Originally Posted by ricksax View Post
              When Henry Ford and his engineers designed the flathead V-8 they were faced with a number of issues, including the problems of breathing and cooling in a mass produced engine. For 1932, it was a tricky bit of design. Unfortunately, the arrangement of the exhaust ports within the block was a serious limitation for hot rodders. But I still love the sound of a flathead ticking over smoothly. And 80 hp in a light car was pretty exciting in those days.
              Id say 80 hp in a deuce is fast.. Fast is relative. 50 mph isnt "fast" but it is sliding a speedway bike around a dirt track. Same with a lot of things.. And in one of those, man, i bet anything running right would feel fast...

I just want to ride around ONCE with a white T-Shirt with a pack of Camels rolled up in my sleeve... Just once i want to pretend to be John Millner.

Comment

Working...
              X