Hagon shock mount bushings question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hagon shock mount bushings question

I have treated myself to a shiny new Hagon rear shock but when I came to fit it I noticed that there was more side to side play in the mountings than I expected. Though it's years since I fitted suspension so it could be normal.

I got the calipers out and measured the original Showa mount bushings. Top of Showa is 24.49mm the Hagon is 24.01 the frame measures 25.04.

I know it's only 0.48mm but it's got me wondering I have had a good look in the box to see if there's any washers I have missed but nope.

Just wanted to check before I started torquing the bolts up and possibly turned my frame into scrap.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Originally Posted by Fastmongrel View Post
    I have treated myself to a shiny new Hagon rear shock but when I came to fit it I noticed that there was more side to side play in the mountings than I expected. Though it's years since I fitted suspension so it could be normal.

I got the calipers out and measured the original Showa mount bushings. Top of Showa is 24.49mm the Hagon is 24.01 the frame measures 25.04.

I know it's only 0.48mm but it's got me wondering I have had a good look in the box to see if there's any washers I have missed but nope.

Just wanted to check before I started torquing the bolts up and possibly turned my frame into scrap.
    I've never run a Hagon, but personally id send it. a touch of freedom wont kill it IMO.

Someone else experience may differ.
    Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

Comment

If you can put up a drawing of the size you want a spacer or the exact dimensions of what you want a willing person may be able to make them on a lathe. Only thing I think that is important to know is should they be steel or will aluminum be OK? I'm no expert but I know I could cut some aluminum spacers on my mine lathe easily enough and frankly that is the whole reason I got it.
      88 Blue Hawk GT - Under construction but rideable (guest approved)
      89 BlackHawk 2.0 - On the lift and being assembled
      90 Hawk GT (color as to yet be determined) - Still on the shelf in crates

Comment

There is no problem. The frame will flex enough there.

Remember that there is a collar on the bolt that holds the fuel filter stay / under tank mount. When you tighten that bolt everything will snug up.

If you were looking for a support group you're barking up the wrong tree. This place is fulla enablers dude. - Shooter77us

The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the thrill of a low price has gone. - RacerX450

Comment

Just spoken to Hagon and they think the frame is slightly out of specification. They are going to send me 2 new top hat bushes that will increase the top mounting width to 25mm. That should take up the play.

It's possible Bubba has been in there with his big hammer and screwdriver. Virtually every other bolt/nut on the rear end has Bubba's mark on it.

Comment

Just spoken to Hagon and they think the frame is slightly out of specification. They are going to send me 2 new top hat bushes that will increase the top mounting width to 25mm. That should take up the play.

It's possible Bubba has been in there with his big hammer and screwdriver. Virtually every other bolt/nut on the rear end has Bubba's mark on it.
            Remind me some day to tell my "bubba's towing" story.

It's not going to be told in the first person and I will omit details, but I assure you it happened. I don't have time to type it right now.
            Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

Comment

Received the new 25mm bushes from Hagon and the shock slotted in without any rattling. Just got to reassemble the back end and then wait for the new rear brake disc to arrive.

Comment

Received the new 25mm bushes from Hagon and the shock slotted in without any rattling. Just got to reassemble the back end and then wait for the new rear brake disc to arrive.
                So just curious if you have been riding on this shock and how does it feel on the bike? Was it a standard part or did they take into account any specific weights? I'm looking at ordering a couple for some Hawks I am rebuilding and curious if their shocks are somewhat of a fits all sizes kind of solution.

Thanks!

Comment

I have a Hagen shock, it was a good fit no side play at all, think your problem is bubba.

Comment

Sounds like great customer service from Hagon.

Comment

D3C04AA1-A72E-4CD6-826D-A7744315012D.jpg
                      Originally Posted by Remy View Post
                      Sounds like great customer service from Hagon.
                      They are a good company, set up by Alf Hagen who sprinted a JAP on nitro. Still a family run company.

Comment

Originally Posted by rpcraft View Post

So just curious if you have been riding on this shock and how does it feel on the bike? Was it a standard part or did they take into account any specific weights? I'm looking at ordering a couple for some Hawks I am rebuilding and curious if their shocks are somewhat of a fits all sizes kind of solution.

Thanks!
                        I don't really have any comments on riding it other than it does it's job without any fuss. I fitted it as it arrived then after a couple of rides I unwound the spring one turn as it felt a bit firm and I wanted to lower it a touch. I removed the shock to adjust the spring but damping is easy on the bike as long as you have the adjuster on the right the chain is in the way otherwise.

To order I rang the company and they asked what weight I am, did I carry a pillion and what type of riding I do plus a couple of other questions. Very nice people who don't mind answering idiot questions.

The shocks are built to order and mine took four days to arrive. They seem to be very modular and can be built to fit lowered or jacked up rears.

In the bombproof double box there's a instruction leaflet a C spanner wrench and two Bondhus Allen keys to fit the damping adjustment and the spring adjuster locknut.

They are a lovely piece of kit all made in-house apart from the spring which is made nearby.
                        Last edited by Fastmongrel; 05-31-2022, 03:08 AM. Reason: Bad smelling

Comment

I don't really have any comments on riding it other than it does it's job without any fuss. I fitted it as it arrived then after a couple of rides I unwound the spring one turn as it felt a bit firm and I wanted to lower it a touch. I removed the shock to adjust the spring but damping is easy on the bike as long as you have the adjuster on the right the chain is in the way otherwise.

To order I rang the company and they asked what weight I am, did I carry a pillion and what type of riding I do plus a couple of other questions. Very nice people who don't mind answering idiot questions.

The shocks are built to order and mine took four days to arrive. They seem to be very modular and can be built to fit lowered or jacked up rears.

In the bombproof double box there's a instruction leaflet a C spanner wrench and two Bondhus Allen keys to fit the damping adjustment and the spring adjuster locknut.

They are a lovely piece of kit all made in-house apart from the spring which is made nearby.
                          Thanks, that is exactly what I needed to know. Much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                          X