Things that don’t make you smile with this bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things that don’t make you smile with this bike

What absolute dickhead put the water pump in front of the oil sump bolt so you can’t get clear access with a torque wrench ?

Need to purchase a short socket for sure.

Presumably the same absolute dickhead that made the oil filter access likewise a PITA.

Shite design for both

…..

Rant over

…..

Easy solutions anyone other than a short socket ?
    Last edited by Zanderk; 02-21-2022, 04:04 PM.

Should point out I’ve completed oil change and spun on a new filter but what a ball ache access wise.

Comment

Just use a wrench on the oil drain bolt.
      1988 Honda Hawk
      2009 Yamaha TMAX
      North Georgia

Comment

Who torques the oil bolt? I don't. Plain old box wrench for me, no problem. Likewise on the oil filter. If it isn't overtightened, it isn't much of a problem taking off. I use a big pair of channel locks.
        Brian - Richland, WA
        1991 Hawk GT
        1997 VFR

Comment

I can't say I've torqued the oil drain bolt down personally. I just get it about one grunt tight and refill, then after about an hour or two later double check for no drips.
          88 Blue Hawk GT - Under construction but rideable (guest approved)
          89 BlackHawk 2.0 - On the lift and being assembled
          90 Hawk GT (color as to yet be determined) - Still on the shelf in crates

Comment

I've been using the K&N filters with the hex fitting on the end. There's just room for a ratchet box head, no fighting.

Yes, the RC31 is densely packed for "mass centralization." Although removing the tank to fill coolant could be another rant.

Comment

I’ve always torqued the oil sump bolt. Creature of habit. Anyway all done and she’s purring like a cat on both cylinders now (arrived with rust and petrol as fuel in the tank)
              May yet get a Vin MOT by the end of the week !

Comment

Originally Posted by bk94si View Post
                Who torques the oil bolt? I don't. Plain old box wrench for me, no problem. Likewise on the oil filter. If it isn't overtightened, it isn't much of a problem taking off. I use a big pair of channel locks.
                I do and always have. Ever since I had a sump plug let go on the way into Gerard’s bend at Mallory (probably 90-100mph entry on a Honda RS125) because it wasn’t tightened (or lock wired) by the mechanic who prepped the bike. Needless to say after that I did my own spannering and always paid attention to this area

Comment

Lots of people. Lots, lots, lots, lots of people tighten the oil drain bolt to spec. Not one you want to strip, and also not one you want to let go.

Personally I'm not one of them, though I may be better off if my mind worked a little more in that direction.

And like ricksax said the KN filters are nice.
                  Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

Comment

Originally Posted by 6 View Post
                    Lots of people. Lots, lots, lots, lots of people tighten the oil drain bolt to spec. Not one you want to strip, and also not one you want to let go.

Personally I'm not one of them, though I may be better off if my mind worked a little more in that direction.

And like ricksax said the KN filters are nice.
                    Yep I hear you and next oil change I’ll look at a K&N. I also have a short 17mm socket (19mm depth vs. 30mm) to free up some room. That’ll do it I think with a smaller drive as well to make more squeeze room.

All part of learning a new bike layout and it’s ‘quirks’

Comment

What dickhead decided to use a back brake disc that's rarer than Hens teeth and is out of stock everywhere

Had one on order since December and I have been told it will be in stock 28th March. I am not holding my breath I have already been given 3 dates for stock.

Comment

Is that the OEM rotor? Just get an EBC.
                        1988 Honda Hawk
                        2009 Yamaha TMAX
                        North Georgia

Comment

Originally Posted by The Cheese View Post
                          Is that the OEM rotor? Just get an EBC.
                          EBC are out of stock until the 28th March. OEM are also out of stock and anyway cost nearly three times what the EBC costs. I could get one made for less

Comment

Originally Posted by Fastmongrel View Post
                            What dickhead decided to use a back brake disc that's rarer than Hens teeth and is out of stock everywhere

Had one on order since December and I have been told it will be in stock 28th March. I am not holding my breath I have already been given 3 dates for stock.
                            Can always use my solution... And ditch the rear brake assy entirely... Dont need it. 1

Also had an aluminum rotor for the last race hawk, saved weight, looked close enough to pass tech and it cant melt if you don't use it.

I wont go on a rear brake rant here. (hopefully)..
                            Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

Comment

Originally Posted by Fastmongrel View Post

EBC are out of stock until the 28th March. OEM are also out of stock and anyway cost nearly three times what the EBC costs. I could get one made for less
                              What a pain…I’m onto the front of the bike now and steering head bearings !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X