Fitting new fork tubes/stansions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fitting new fork tubes/stansions

IMG_20220318_124850_457.jpg IMG_20220318_124930_831.jpg IMG_20220318_124939_464.jpg I thought this would be an easy job but parts in the lower legs need changing over, has anyone done this before? on the original the lower fork leg, it is rolled over to keep some parts secure in the bottom of the fork leg, I had to grind the rolled over part off to release the parts it was retaining, these parts are not shown in the parts book.
    The questions 1, how is the lower fork leg rolled over to retain the parts, I am thinking of making some kind of forming tool similar to a brake line flaring tool.
    2, the photo with a single part, can the spline like nut be screwed off?
    Last edited by yorkshire; 03-18-2022, 03:04 PM. Reason: I forgot the photos

one more photo IMG_20220318_124920_051 (3).jpg

Comment

Been a while since I did it last, but I just used an angle grinder to remove the folded lip on the old stanchion to take out the topout spring seat and the checkvalve. When I did it, all the old parts fit the new stanchion without problems and for folding the new lip, I had the stanchion in a lathe and just used a smooth piece of metal bar to fold the lip. I don't recall if the lathe was turning, I probably just used it to hold everything secure so I could concentrate on the folding - I do recall that the folding was a lot easier than I feared. Today I would probably just use a handlebar in a vise to hold the stanchion. Not sure what you mean in the second question.

Comment

Thanks JanM for the reply, that is great it has given me a lot more confidence. I have put the old fork tubes back in the bike and will return to this project when I have time. The second question, the part in the single photo has some kind of plastic valve in it and just want to remove it to clean it up, to get this valve out I believe the spline shaped nut needs to be removed, the question is, is that the case?. I am going to try and screw it out.

Comment

OK, not something I think I have had apart, so don't know.

Comment

Working...
          X