Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MV Agusta Rear shock?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    MV Agusta Rear shock?

    Hi All,

    I have a spare brutale 910 shock sitting around and wondering if it would work better than the 900rr shock on it. Eye to eye is about 308mm, 2" of travel and the weight difference of the 910 is negligable. I would need spacers on the top mount but just trying to think of any other things i need to be concerned about. is the 900rr even that good of a shock or more of a convenience? Thanks!

    #2
    That shock would be on the short side although close to stock Hawk length, but I would be more concerned with the spring rate, as the MV Agusta shocks I quickly looked up (no Brutale, though) are around 95N/mm and the Hawk should be around 190N/mm (stock rate). But if the Brutale shok is easily rebuildable, it could be a fun project - new damping setup, new spring etc...

    I do not consider the 900RR a good option, primarily because the models that can be used on Hawks with some modification are 25 years old. And the 900RR spring is softer than the Hawk spring, so it needs changing and preferably new damping setup - it is the most common way to just make the 900RR shock fit and use a stiffer spring and not worry about damping.

    Easiest and cheapest way to get a good shock for the Hawk is to buy a new YSS. The older brands are all more expensive, maybe better, depending on what you are going to use the bike for.

    Comment


      #3
      Yea, I'm not about to change springs or rebuild. At that point it's new shock time. If the brute shock was at least better than the 900rr I'd slap it in and ride till I got upset enough to buy a penske.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally Posted by Peteroo View Post
        Yea, I'm not about to change springs or rebuild. At that point it's new shock time. If the brute shock was at least better than the 900rr I'd slap it in and ride till I got upset enough to buy a penske.
        Imo the only up side to the 900rr shock is that it's longer. Other than that by the time you stick the hawk spring in it it's worse than stock. If the MV shock is shorter it's probably no upgrade at all.


        This is the oldest conversation in hawking. A cheap shock upgrade from another bike..

        30 years on, still nothing.
        Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

        Comment


          #5
          ok, i will keep the 900 shock till i scrape up the cash. But come on, who wouldnt like to discover they have a free shock upgrade sitting around the garage????

          Comment


            #6
            Originally Posted by Peteroo View Post
            ok, i will keep the 900 shock till i scrape up the cash. But come on, who wouldnt like to discover they have a free shock upgrade sitting around the garage????
            Some day..mmm

            Someone will. The big issue is that the hawk uses a really high spring rate compared to most bikes. There are guys that run a 1500# spring in it..
            Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally Posted by 6 View Post

              Some day..mmm

              Someone will. The big issue is that the hawk uses a really high spring rate compared to most bikes. There are guys that run a 1500# spring in it..
              A 1500 lb/in spring?! That's crazy high. I guess because the Hawk does not use linkage in the rear suspension, it jacks up the spring rate needed.
              Last edited by harpo; 03-29-2022, 09:23 AM.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally Posted by harpo View Post

                A 1500 lb/in spring?! That's crazy high. I guess because the Hawk does not use linkage in the rear suspension, it jacks up the spring rate needed.
                Exactly
                Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

                Comment


                  #9
                  so maybe a 1100 ft/lb versys shock? Think thats about 192 n/mm. and about 300mm(stock) length (found an adjustible nitron that looks about 320mm). No idea on travel s-l1600.jpg

                  Comment


                    #10
                    What is the Nitron for? Looks like a good option if it will physically fit a Hawk. And you is satisfied with a 1100 spring. And it can be made short enough if you have a stock exhaust...
                    Last edited by JanM; 04-16-2022, 01:48 AM. Reason: Stupid autocorrect or something changed "#1100" to a link to thread no.1100...

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I was told Kawasaki versus 2014.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally Posted by Peteroo View Post
                        so maybe a 1100 ft/lb versys shock? Think thats about 192 n/mm. and about 300mm(stock) length (found an adjustible nitron that looks about 320mm). No idea on travel s-l1600.jpg
                        May have trouble with the position of that res. Hard to tell the angle from here.
                        Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          yeesh, yea that may be a problem. maybe with it pointed down.
                          s-l1600 (1).jpg

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally Posted by Peteroo View Post
                            yeesh, yea that may be a problem. maybe with it pointed down.
                            s-l1600 (1).jpg
                            Pointed down it may be close to the tire.

                            Won't take much to find out.
                            Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              i was thinking more spinning it so still right side up but with reservoir 180'd. its a tight fit on the top mount. Yea wont take much more than about 400$ to know for sure buuuuuut idk

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X