Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ARRRGH! Son decided to pull the $$ to ride the Hawk and now it won't start!!!!?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ARRRGH! Son decided to pull the $$ to ride the Hawk and now it won't start!!!!?????

OK, so my son decided to pull the 1400 needed to pay for the title on his Hawk before the old CB sold so he can start riding it. I pulled it out of the garage and put gas in the tank. put choke on and hit the starter. fired right up, yay. after about 30 seconds I started to un-choke it a little and it stalled. I then tried for 10 mins to re-start and nothing. Left it to sit over night and tried it this morning, nothing turns over and nothing. So is there anything Hawk specific I should check or do I just start with the regular basics and trace what is wrong?

1) Is petcock in the "on" position? If turned to the "off", the engine would run off of fuel left in the carbs and then die shortly after ~ 30 sec.
    2) Kill switch off? (I know this sounds basic, but check the simple things first)
    3) More details to describe "noting turns over and nothing". Does bike have electricity?, Can engine turn over if you put in gear and push?
    4) Check that the engine has oil and coolant. Not sure your past history with the Hawk.

Others on this forum will be better than me, Just throwing some ideas out there.

Comment

Sounds to me like it ran the fuel out of the bowls and that was that.

I'd check first and make sure you have fuel to the carbs. Those pumps are starting to get old. Try the ol' jump out the fuel pump relay trick, pull the in the line off the carbs, put it in a bottle, turn the key and see if she starts ticking away and fuel flows.

Yes?

Pull a plug wire check for spark.

But running only on choke followed by not running at all would point to fuel delivery.

Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

Comment

Thanks guys, more info. Put more gas and it now fired up and warmed up and I tried to ride it. Got 500 yards and it ran like sh1t no power, bogged then died. Wouldn't restart. So it's on the side of the road by the house as I had to get back to work. I wonder if the fuel pump is bad, or the tank vent is plugged maybe. Didnt pop the filler like I should have. Just got pissex and walked back. Grabbed the GL and hit tbe starter it fired died and the start button now does nothing. NOT MY DAY! Caged back to work.

Comment

Alright, packed up laptop and came back home to "Work from home" and walked down to the bike, hit the starter, vroom! sputter die. OK look at filter, no fuel. OK pull fuel line off and gas pisses from the petcock, ok, shove it back on the filter and it fills up. Bike fires and I can ride it home in 1rst, pulling strong and I get up the steep drive into the garage and it starts sputtering again. No fuel flow. So I know the reason, now to figure out the why it's not flowing correct. Can I bypass the fuel pump and run straight from the petcock? It's high enough to feed I am pretty sure.

Comment

My son is looking at the FSM and going to test the pump per the manual. It's not the tank vent as opening the filler doesn't improve the flow. so the Vacuum issue is from the pump side of things.

Comment

Originally Posted by Maritime View Post
              Alright, packed up laptop and came back home to "Work from home" and walked down to the bike, hit the starter, vroom! sputter die. OK look at filter, no fuel. OK pull fuel line off and gas pisses from the petcock, ok, shove it back on the filter and it fills up. Bike fires and I can ride it home in 1rst, pulling strong and I get up the steep drive into the garage and it starts sputtering again. No fuel flow. So I know the reason, now to figure out the why it's not flowing correct. Can I bypass the fuel pump and run straight from the petcock? It's high enough to feed I am pretty sure.
              You can run straight to the carbs from tank but you won't get a full tank worth out. When you start getting below 1/3 tank or so it will start to have issues.

Could be the in tank filter, is that new? Seems like it's feeding very slow.
              Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

Comment

Well when we we started sussing things we found the fuel pump connector loose and came apart. Re-clicked and boom, full flow and runs great. Also had a blown tail light fuse and fixed that. One poor connection had tape come off and ground to frame. Sorted that. And to top it off my buddy decided we paid him too much and gave back $400. Great end to what was a shitty day to start. Oh and the GL was a corroded start button. All cleaned and firing again too.

Comment

Working...
                X