Front and rear sprockets alignment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front and rear sprockets alignment

In the middle of replacing the chain and sprockets when I noticed that both front and rear sprockets are offset. I wasn't paying attention when I took off the worn sprockets and now I am scratching my head.

Are they fitted with the offset pointing in or out.

They're JT sprockets and the front has rubber moulded on it

The stock front sprocket has a big rubber disc on it, I can not recall 100 % but from what I can see in the manual it looks like it goes outwards, then the stock rear sprocket has a dish to it and that goes inwards (that bit I know from memory). If you are working with aftermarket sprockets then hard to say but I believe the JT is the same as the OEM, and really there are only two ways to flip each sprocket and figure out from there.
    88 Blue Hawk GT - Under construction but rideable (guest approved)
    89 BlackHawk 2.0 - On the lift and being assembled
    90 Hawk GT (color as to yet be determined) - Still on the shelf in crates

Comment

And for that front, I was looking at a pdf online so not the best quality image unfortunately. It just looked very black with the cutout in the rubber for the retainer so pretty sure it was rubber out.

Comment

The front sprocket has rubber both sides
        16529767231414370949209927396164.jpg 16529767604926035413138405297252.jpg

Confused now my brain is starting to hurt

Comment

WEll, set it on a table next to the OEM sprocket and that should tell you which way it goes based on which way the OEM one was supposed to.

Comment

Ask the cat. See if he remembers.
            "I couldn't afford NOT to buy it!"

Comment

Originally Posted by Captain 80s View Post
              Ask the cat. See if he remembers.

I did but he was too busy licking his bum

Comment

Originally Posted by rpcraft View Post
                WEll, set it on a table next to the OEM sprocket and that should tell you which way it goes based on which way the OEM one was supposed to.
                OEM sprockets are long gone and I can't remember how the previous sprockets came off

Comment

Problem is I wear varifocal glasses and even though I have tried to use a straight edge to check alignment if I look at one sprocket the other is a blur.

​​​

Comment

WEll, I guess you are at the point where you install it one way and if it doesn't line up then you install it the other way, unless someone else chimes in.

Comment

Originally Posted by Fastmongrel View Post
                      The front sprocket has rubber both sides
                      16529767231414370949209927396164.jpg 16529767604926035413138405297252.jpg

Confused now my brain is starting to hurt
                      pretty sure the "bumped" side goes out. Not sure you could even get the retainer on there the other way.
                      Brian - Richland, WA
                      1991 Hawk GT
                      1997 VFR

Comment

So fitted the way it is in the bottom photo.

Currently it's the front fitted with the bump facing out and flat face facing into centre of bike . The back sprocket Also has the flat face facing into the Centreline of the bike.

The writing on both the sprockets faces outwards away from Centreline.

What I need now is a new pair of eyeballs or a young person to check the alignment I am about as much use as Stevie Wonder.

Comment

Writing and / or numbers typically always go out. Pretty safe bet.

Stock Honda rear sprockets have the "dish" out, like you have it.
                          "I couldn't afford NOT to buy it!"

Comment

Working...
                          X