Best way to clean inside of a tank that has been sealed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to clean inside of a tank that has been sealed

1. I am working on a 1984 VF750F that's not run for probably 15 years. Everything is there but everything is in poor condition especially the tank
    IMG-20220604-WA0002.jpg

Which is revolting someone in the past has tried to seal it but the sealant is flaking away and there's some goop that looks like the remains of the fuel is hiding away in the corners

What's the best way to shift this shit I was thinking hot water and a handful of aquarium gravel. That should deal with the goop and rust but not sure if that will shift the old sealant is there anything that will dissolve tank sealant.
    Last edited by Fastmongrel; 06-06-2022, 03:48 AM. Reason: Got year wrong it's an 84 not 83

Locally, we once had a radiator shop that would cut a piece out of the bottom of a tank, dip it and media blast, and weld the piece back in. Extreme, I know. And you have to repaint. They won't do it any more, maybe because it is too much work.

Instead of gravel, some guys use a length of chain, because you can easily remove all of it.

I don't know of a solvent for the liner. Perhaps after initial cleaning, you could try a heat gun from the outside?

I have had good results with EvapORust (mild acid) to remove rust, but I don't know if it will do anything to the liner.

Comment

At work I have a 5 gallon bucket of Schaeffer's 721 Rustender. Fill the tank and let it sit for a few days, then dump it back in the bucket. Generally comes out almost new looking. It will usually lift most all of the old sealant off in chunks, which can be a pain to get out, depending on the tank (I'm usually doing Harley tanks with giant openings for the fuel pumps) so I toss a piece of chain or a handfull of screws in the tank and shake it around to break the liner up into smaller pieces.

Also use Caswell tank liner, it's a 2 part epoxy liner, and is awesome stuff. No worries if the tank isn't absolutely spotless inside, it'll seal over any bits of anything left in the tank.

Comment

The paintwork is immaculate and totally original so I don't want to do anything to hurt it.

Comment

Check into a local radiator shop and also perhaps the Renu liner process. The have some options but not sure about what they can do with a painted tank. It may be called something different across countries but that is a starting point.
          88 Blue Hawk GT - Under construction but rideable (guest approved)
          89 BlackHawk 2.0 - On the lift and being assembled
          90 Hawk GT (color as to yet be determined) - Still on the shelf in crates

Comment

acetone is good for removing deteriorating tank lining.

let's have some vfr photos, guvna.
            "It's only getting worse."

MY rides: '97 VFR750, '90 Red Hawk, '88 Blue/Black Hawk, '86 RWB VFR700 (3), '86 Yamaha Radian, '90 VTR250, '89 VTR250 (2), '73 CB125, '66 Yamaha YL-1

Sold: '86 FJ1200, '92 ZX-7, '90 Radian, '73 CB750, '89 all-white Hawk, '88 blue Hawk, '86 FZ600, '86 Yam Fazer 700 , '89 VTR250, '87 VFR700F2, '86 VFR700F.

Comment

Originally Posted by skr00zloose View Post
              Also use Caswell tank liner, it's a 2 part epoxy liner, and is awesome stuff. No worries if the tank isn't absolutely spotless inside, it'll seal over any bits of anything left in the tank.
              the best sealer ever, the tits !

MY rides: '97 VFR750, '90 Red Hawk, '88 Blue/Black Hawk, '86 RWB VFR700 (3), '86 Yamaha Radian, '90 VTR250, '89 VTR250 (2), '73 CB125, '66 Yamaha YL-1

Sold: '86 FJ1200, '92 ZX-7, '90 Radian, '73 CB750, '89 all-white Hawk, '88 blue Hawk, '86 FZ600, '86 Yam Fazer 700 , '89 VTR250, '87 VFR700F2, '86 VFR700F.

Comment

An assortment of nuts on a long string is good for shaking around the tank. Keep both ends of the string outside the tank, then you can yank the string and get all the nuts back out.
                Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

Comment

Originally Posted by squirrelman View Post

let's have some vfr photos, guvna.
                  It's externally in great condition but 15 years sat in a shed has not been kind to the internals

IMG_20220606_092315759.jpg IMG_20220606_092244634.jpg IMG_20220606_092301666.jpg IMG_20220606_092340773.jpg IMG_20220606_092331059.jpg

Comment

That's a very clean bike.

A solution of oxalic acid is excellent for removing the rust inside tanks and doesn't attack paint. I've found that an overnight soak will remove all rust and leaves a clean metal surface. The only problem I found was that by the time I had rinsed and dried it for applying a liner it was covered with a fine coating of rust again. In practice this doesn't seem to matter too much.

Removing a chemical liner? Would a few litres of acetone soften that? You'd have to keep it off the paint though. When I was searching for a chemical to remove JB Weld acetone seemed to be the only easily available solvent but it takes a very long time to work, at least on J.B. Weld. There are some more hardcore chemicals but they are hard to get hold of (in the UK).
                    Last edited by DrPMC; 06-07-2022, 03:04 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by DrPMC View Post
                      That's a very clean bike.

A solution of oxalic acid is excellent for removing the rust inside tanks and doesn't attack paint. I've found that an overnight soak will remove all rust and leaves a clean metal surface. The only problem I found was that by the time I had rinsed and dried it for applying a liner it was covered with a fine coating of rust again. In practice this doesn't seem to matter too .
                      I like the idea of Oxalic acid I have plenty of Rhubarb in the garden and I can make my own

Comment

You can also use citric acid once you get the liner out. It is very gentle compared to most any other acids, even compared to vinegar. For removing the liner, II would try a small can of acetone first (maybe 1 liter) but if it was a good liner that will probably not affect it much, especially if it was a 2 part epoxy liner. If it doesn't work you may need to check into something stronger but chances are your paint will not survive stronger chemicals so I am hesitant to even suggest the next step.
                        88 Blue Hawk GT - Under construction but rideable (guest approved)
                        89 BlackHawk 2.0 - On the lift and being assembled
                        90 Hawk GT (color as to yet be determined) - Still on the shelf in crates

Comment

looks nice though.

check for cam wear, pitting.
                          Last edited by squirrelman; 06-06-2022, 11:52 PM.

Comment

I like all the suggestions. Here is the process I would recommend:

Acetone (careful, flammable) - as squirrelman suggested

Then bolts - as 6 suggested

Then powerwasher (just water), it's like a paint safe sandblast.

Repeat, repeat, repeat,

Then Caswell can hide the sins left over.

Comment

White vinegar did a great job on my Hawk tank in removing rust but I’m not sure about old liner. It’s also cheap. You always get a pre rust reforming but it’s easy to remove. Por15 for me worked brill once you have all the crap out.

Comment

Working...
                              X