How to get the Bros better on track

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to get the Bros better on track

Took the '88 Bros 400 on track yesterday for the first time. It was at Lydden hill, which is well suited to a 400, though I’m still struggling for speed. I’m going to play with different sized sprockets for when I return in two weeks (fixing the compression might be a good idea too, but that’s not happening this side of winter). Wondering about 650/700 kits, but i fear im going to be pumping loads of money and effort to make it into something it's not, and I'd be better off getting an old R6 for the track (or similar)

Had slight ground clearance issues too, but that’s made me get my arse off the seat and lean off the bike (and finally get a knee down). The sidestand has a few scrapes (but only one left-hand bend, so not so much), and the shiny new exhaust is less shiny and new. Is there anything I can do to improve the ground clearance? It's not a stock exhaust, but I think this is the last one you can still get for it, plus I like the exposed rear wheel look it gives (that the high-level ones block).

I want to get the suspension set up properly, but the rear is still the original 34-year-old shock, and the bottom bolt is seized in place. I have an old fireblade shock that can go in and get the adjustment, but that bolt is the current hold-up there. It has an RSV mille front end on at the moment, so that side of things is fine.
    1988 Honda Bros 400

its four years older then me

Penetrating oil, let soak for a few days, heat and torque.
    Flock of Hawks | '13 Tacoma | '69 Falcon (currently getting reassembled!)
    I've spent most of my money on women, beer, cars and motorcycles. The rest of it I just wasted.

Comment

Dump the stock shock and get a shock that is adjustable for height. That will make a huge difference. It's also a good idea to remove the centerstand at track days. Decking the centerstand can mess up your day (trust me, I know).
      ASMA #139

Comment

I have seen frozen lower shock bolts... but I have to ask this anyway: are you removing the upper bolt first to completely unload the lower bolt before trying to remove it?

If you were looking for a support group you're barking up the wrong tree. This place is fulla enablers dude. - Shooter77us

The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the thrill of a low price has gone. - RacerX450

Comment

You can crank the chain adjuster around to the bottom and get a bit of ride height

Comment

Cheers, have only tried the bolt with everything on it still, didn't occur to me to take the weight off. Though i might spend the next few days putting WD40 on it first.

Realized I've also run out of chicken strip, so getting more ground clearance wont actually help if im at the edge of the tyre.

in other news, the pictures from the other day came!

1988 Honda Bros 400

Comment

Fix the suspension. Dont worry about the motor or any of that. Right out the gate, get a shock in the bike.

Just because you have "got rid of the chicken strip" doesn't mean you have achieved maximum potential lean angle of the bike. Lots going on there. how's the front tire look?

Get a shock (a real one, not the 900rr shock) in the bike and start there. Stock shock, stock foot pegs with feelers, , stock side and center stands, short front end, and what looks like a really low sitting and fat exhausts. with that setup the bike will be dragging things. There is a lot more that can be got out of it.

You can get that bike set up a good bit better for the cost of getting another bike. That said, it will never be an r6 or a cbr or anything of the sort. I dont know what your budget is, but that hawk is also a street bike, so any $ you put in there in parts you will get some use out of on the street as well. Something to consider.

Just depends what you want to get out of it man. Like tracking the hawk, fix the hawk, want to track an r6, get one, because the hawk will never be one.
              Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

Comment

The rear shock bolt is a special high tensile bolt. If you heat up where it threads in and the area around the head it should release. A blow torch will be enough to release the bond of the corrosion and any Loctite.

Comment

tried some heat and got the bolt out!

the Fireblade shock is in now, its topping out when on the sidestand so need to get the set up vaguely right before i can test it. I know its not ideal, but I had this shock nocking about for years so thought id give it a go, cant afford an actual new shock at the moment anyway
                  1988 Honda Bros 400

Comment

Originally Posted by Boristhethird View Post

the Fireblade shock is in now, its topping out when on the sidestand so need to get the set up vaguely right before i can test it. I know its not ideal, but I had this shock nocking about for years so thought id give it a go, cant afford an actual new shock at the moment anyway
                    What spring is in it? It's definitely not a big improvement, if any at all, but it is longer, so there is that. Next time you go to the track bring the stock one in case you want to swap it out. You may find it's preferable to the 900 shock.

If you get a spring it it that's at all close to right it will have have absolutely no damping. It can become a pogo stick. With a spring that works in the shock you will be bottomed out everywhere.
                    Going to the track isn't cheap. But it's fun. And there are some guys here who have gone preeeety darned quick on bone stock hawks with commuter tires.. cough, coughnt650hawkcough, heehemm.

Sorry somthing was stuck in my throat there.

Just because you can't afford new parts doesn't mean you can't continue to improve as a rider and do some work on your skilllz yo.

The more track time the better. Keep it up dude.
                    Last edited by 6; 08-02-2022, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Boristhethird View Post

Excellent getting the bolt out. Hopefully the 900RR shock was modified to fit the Bros, so you can put a decent shock in it later... but for now, you should put a little effort into fitting the Bros spring to the 900RR shock - it will require some washers or a spacer made, but it is going to be an improvement. If the 900RR shock is stock, it is going to have a too soft spring.

Comment

Originally Posted by JanM View Post

but it is going to be an improvement. If the 900RR shock is stock, it is going to have a too soft spring.
                        Disregard any of my suspension advice if Jan disagrees with it. ...
                        He is the final word on such things.

Comment

Originally Posted by 6 View Post

Disregard any of my suspension advice if Jan disagrees with it. ...
                          He is the final word on such things.
                          No disagreement here, we basically said the same thing. Stock Bros shock bad, stock spring adequate. 900RR shock longer - good, stock 900RR spring is soft - bad... so best compromise is to move the Bros spring to the 900RR shock and see how it goes, damping might be off, but it hasn't cost anything really. But only as the 900RR shock is already available, no need to go get one. Better to save up for a decent shock.

Comment

Originally Posted by JanM View Post

No disagreement here, we basically said the same thing. Stock Bros shock bad, stock spring adequate. 900RR shock longer - good, stock 900RR spring is soft - bad... so best compromise is to move the Bros spring to the 900RR shock and see how it goes, damping might be off, but it hasn't cost anything really. But only as the 900RR shock is already available, no need to go get one. Better to save up for a decent shock.
                            i bought the shock i think from a member on here about 10 years ago, but not sure. From what I remember, it has already got a Bros spring in it (and the smaller top mount), ill get the precompression sorted so i can ride it and find out.
                            1988 Honda Bros 400

Comment

Originally Posted by 6 View Post

What spring is in it? It's definitely not a big improvement, if any at all, but it is longer, so there is that. Next time you go to the track bring the stock one in case you want to swap it out. You may find it's preferable to the 900 shock.

If you get a spring it it that's at all close to right it will have have absolutely no damping. It can become a pogo stick. With a spring that works in the shock you will be bottomed out everywhere.
                              Going to the track isn't cheap. But it's fun. And there are some guys here who have gone preeeety darned quick on bone stock hawks with commuter tires.. cough, coughnt650hawkcough, heehemm.

Sorry somthing was stuck in my throat there.

Just because you can't afford new parts doesn't mean you can't continue to improve as a rider and do some work on your skilllz yo.

The more track time the better. Keep it up dude.
                              Im back at the same track in two weeks, and I've done 3 on my SV1000 with stock suspension and touring tyres. Though I'm overprotective on my SV, as i bought it as a really well looked after bike and it still is in my mind (its not anymore in reality). I think i enjoyed the lower weight and power of the bros, was less intimidating (34bhp vs 11
                              1988 Honda Bros 400

Comment

Working...
                              X