Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hawk not starting. I think fuel is not being pumped.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawk not starting. I think fuel is not being pumped.

Hi folks.

This is on my 88 blue hawk that had been sitting for 20 years in a garage.
    I have cleaned the tank, replaced the petcock and replaced the fuel filter.
    New fuel line running from gas tank to the fuel filter.
    Cleaned the carbs very thoroughly.
    Brand new battery.
    Gas in tank (I put in probably 1/2 gallon of fresh gas).
    Petcock turned to the reserve.

After putting it back together, I'm hitting the starter button and it cranks but I don't hear any combustion and I don't smell any fuel.
    I need to do the obvious step of check if fuel will flow out of the petcock. If you could humor me and pretend we know fuel will flow from the petcock to the pump, I'd like to ask about this troubleshooting step below.

What and where is the "sub-fuse (10 A)"? I looked through my service manual and looked through the parts fiche and am having trouble finding this thing.
    I think it's different from the fuel pump relay pictured below, right?

As long as I'm asking questions, what is the "Bu" wire color?
    Bl must be blue.
    Y must be yellow.

image.png

Thanks!

Fuse panel is under the headlight.

Bl is black
    Bu is blue
    Br is brown

If you were looking for a support group you're barking up the wrong tree. This place is fulla enablers dude. - Shooter77us

The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the thrill of a low price has gone. - RacerX450

Comment

Pull the fuel line off the carb and see if gas comes out.
      The bike will run without a fuel pump if there is more than half a tank

Comment

Thanks folks!

Comment

Hi, the fuses are under the headlight, the fuel pump fuse is number 6 marked as ignition, I believe the only fuse under the seat is on the starter relay, I do not know about sub fuse another than what I have said.

Comment

It has to crank for a good while before it will fill the carb bowls.
            Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

Comment

Originally Posted by bitzz
              Pull the fuel line off the carb and see if gas comes out.
              The bike will run without a fuel pump if there is more than half a tank
              I added more gas (tho maybe not quite up to a full 1/2 tank. Gas flows out freely when on reserve.

Comment

Originally Posted by yorkshire
                Hi, the fuses are under the headlight, the fuel pump fuse is number 6 marked as ignition, I believe the only fuse under the seat is on the starter relay, I do not know about sub fuse another than what I have said.
                I looked at the ignition fuse and it was fine. I should've looked at all of them while I was in there. DUH. But I was a bit rushed since it was lunch break.

Comment

Originally Posted by 6
                  I have been letting it crank quite a bit, both last night and today at lunch.

Comment

I don't think the pump will let fuel flow freely through it. The valves will prevent that. If you remove it then the carbs will gravity feed with > tank.

Also: jump the fuel pump relay to fill the carbs; don't do it by cranking it.

If you were looking for a support group you're barking up the wrong tree. This place is fulla enablers dude. - Shooter77us

The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the thrill of a low price has gone. - RacerX450

Comment

Originally Posted by lamelylounges

I have been letting it crank quite a bit, both last night and today at lunch.
                      A good while means like maybe 30 seconds, not 2 days...

if you want to test the fuel pump the best way is to disconnect it at or around the filterrs and dump it into a pan or fuel can. I can't recall what causes it to stop (time or pressure) but I know if you take it off and run some tube into a container it is far easier to tell
                      88 Blue Hawk GT - Under construction but rideable (guest approved)
                      89 BlackHawk 2.0 - On the lift and being assembled
                      90 Hawk GT (color as to yet be determined) - Still on the shelf in crates

Comment

dija check for sparks
                        "It's only getting worse."

MY rides: '97 VFR750, '90 Red Hawk, '88 Blue/Black Hawk, '86 RWB VFR700 (3), '86 Yamaha Radian, '90 VTR250, '89 VTR250 (2), '73 CB125, '66 Yamaha YL-1

Sold: '86 FJ1200, '92 ZX-7, '90 Radian, '73 CB750, '89 all-white Hawk, '88 blue Hawk, '86 FZ600, '86 Yam Fazer 700 , '89 VTR250, '87 VFR700F2, '86 VFR700F.

Comment

Originally Posted by 6
                          To speed things up a bit, what I'm doing is to crank the engine and then block the carburettor intake with my hand for 1 or 2 seconds.
                          This creates a strong vacuum in the carburettor, sucking fuel almost instantly. It fills the carb right up.

Not sure if this is a recommended or proper way to do it, but it works very well for me.

Comment

So... you're filling the float bowl by using engine vacuum?

Comment

Originally Posted by ParcNHawk
                              So... you're filling the float bowl by using engine vacuum?
                              Essentially, yes.
                              Probably not the cleanest technique, I'm really no expert, but it worked well for me so far

Otherwise you have to either crank forever which isn't great for the starter motor, or you have to unscrew the little bowl screw and get fuel pouring all over the place, which are both techniques I'm not a big fan of.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎