Pump or no ... school me.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pump or no ... school me.

I searched, but didn't find a good answer. I bought a new-to-me track Hawk. It currently doesn't have a fuel pump. It came with a stock pump and a Mikuni but neither are installed. The bike will be track only. It looks like the previous owner was extremely concerned about weight reduction, me, not so much.

I read the bike will run without a pump. What are the drawbacks of running without a pump?

Thanks

Per my discussions with Hordpower on this topic, running without a pump will require a hi-flow petcock and the tank to be mostly full. Think old gravity feed water supplies from rural farms - fuller the tank, the more water pressure.

Comment

Thanks. I'll put the pump back on.

Comment

I've found it will run well till about half a tank. After that longer periods of wot (like at the track or high-speed police pursuit) and it starts to stave with anything under that.
        Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

Comment

don't trust the pump relay, just bypass it according to service manual instructions.
          "It's only getting worse."

MY rides: '97 VFR750, '90 Red Hawk, '88 Blue/Black Hawk, '86 RWB VFR700 (3), '86 Yamaha Radian, '90 VTR250, '89 VTR250 (2), '73 CB125, '66 Yamaha YL-1

Sold: '86 FJ1200, '92 ZX-7, '90 Radian, '73 CB750, '89 all-white Hawk, '88 blue Hawk, '86 FZ600, '86 Yam Fazer 700 , '89 VTR250, '87 VFR700F2, '86 VFR700F.

Comment

Originally Posted by 6 View Post
            I've found it will run well till about half a tank. After that longer periods of wot (like at the track or high-speed police pursuit) and it starts to stave with anything under that.
            But no problems with the Mikuni, correct?

Comment

Originally Posted by squirrelman View Post
              don't trust the pump relay, just bypass it according to service manual instructions.
              I didn't do this. The bike was intermittently cutting out on long, fast corners. I think it was crappy fuel filter... dunno.

Comment

Originally Posted by bezier_kid View Post

But no problems with the Mikuni, correct?
                Besides the built in trade offs over electric, like extra cost for the pump and mount, more hoses to maintain, vacuum ports to create and keep an eye on, and the inability to fill the bowls without cranking, they are good. Never had a problem with a properly set up one ( i have seen issues with them and the diaphragms, but not on my bikes). I prefer an electric pump, but not enough to change away from a vacuum pump if its already there.

I am absolutely in the minority, most hawk owners prefer the vacuum, i believe because its a cleaner/cooler look.
                Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

Comment

I have stay with the electric too, works fine for me.

Comment

I prefer the electric pump because one can jump the relay and fill the carb bowls.
                    My Hawk spends more time with drained carb bowls than filled bowls because of crap gas.
                    Acta non verba

'88 Blue 99% stock SOLD
                    '88 Restomod
                    '22 Yamaha Tracer 9 GT

Comment

Working...
                    X