No announcement yet.

Easy way to change spark plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't believe you still have the originals. My bike starts to run noticeably worse when they get up to about 7k.
    Brian - Richland, WA
    1991 Hawk GT
    1997 VFR

Comment

n00b alert: How many spark plugs does a 400 Bros have? Up until now I was under the impression there was only one per cylinder, and I had no idea what the other lead going into each cylinder might be...
      Isabelle - '88 Bros 400.
      Current: progressive fork springs, LED indicators, bar end mirros, rear fender chop, stock exhaust baffle removal. 3 years in storage with questionable front brake.
      Near future: new front disc, brake system rebuild, cush rubbers, full service... penske rear shock
      Distant future: respray, valve emulators, penske rear shock
      Farfetched ideas: XRV750 conversion, pod filters, M4/TBR exhaust... stock look but upgraded everything

Comment

Originally Posted by behindthetimes View Post
        The plugs in my bike are original.Nice post.
        They're the only things that are left!

Hey, awesome thread! I'll make it a sticky.
        1988 "BlackHawk" project
        1989 "RallyHawk" is Chuck's now!
        1988 "The Gray" Tempest Gray Metallic stocker

I can't tell you how peaceful it is. Shinya Kimura
        People who know ride Hawks. Riot

Comment

Originally Posted by joel View Post
          Get a Super Hawk plug tool from your dealer.It has a hex extension that's wobble mounted.
          Joel, WOW! I need one now....
          1988 "BlackHawk" project
          1989 "RallyHawk" is Chuck's now!
          1988 "The Gray" Tempest Gray Metallic stocker

I can't tell you how peaceful it is. Shinya Kimura
          People who know ride Hawks. Riot

Comment

Originally Posted by andreas542 View Post
            n00b alert: How many spark plugs does a 400 Bros have? Up until now I was under the impression there was only one per cylinder, and I had no idea what the other lead going into each cylinder might be...
            2 Spark plugs per cylinder on the 400

http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-nt650-haw...ist/E++03.html
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRhed...A81F9&index=31

Comment

the impact socket will "swivel" much easier than a regular swivel socket..it bends further and dosen't wiggle as much when you are turning it..and..it is so kewl looking..go to the snap-On tool truck..or on line...or Mac Tool truck..or on line..they will hook you up with this neato tool.
              If mice were men and men were mice, once upon a time, Men were mice and mice were men, twice upon a time.

Comment

Originally Posted by Crash View Post
                I took a 6 pt deepwell socket and turned it down the outer diameter on the lathe so that it fit. I turn it loose with a 3/8" ratchet and extension then fish it out with a magnetic bolt retriever. To reinstall I push a piece of rubber hose or fuel line over the spark plug terminal and lower it into the hole. This keeps from dropping the plug and squashing the electrode gap, also it keep you from accidently crossthreading the plug. You should be able to tightenn the plug all the way down with the rubber hose and then pull it off. Now just go back and final tighten with your socket.
                Very good tip that with the rubber hose and sparkplug.Thank you for sharing .

Comment

Originally Posted by joel View Post
                  Get a Super Hawk plug tool from your dealer.It has a hex extension that's wobble mounted.
                  So this tool will also remove the plugs without having to disassemble anything? Got a part number to order with? Any particular year Superhawk (I assume you mean the VTR1000F)? I was going to order the stock plug tool, but this looks better since you don't need to buy the swivel. Thanks!

Comment

I bought a honda plug wrench from JD @ hord power that has the flex or wobble built in and it makes the job simple. Tried to upload a small pic from my phone but the file is still to large for this site.
                    1990 Red Hawk. Build in the works.
                    2006 Street legal Husaberg FS650C on slicks.
                    2005 RC51 w/Sato in the living room.
                    1967 Honda Z50 Mini Trail. Original owner.

Comment

I guess there is no utility around to resize the photo for your particular phone?
                      Can you email the photo to yourself, and in the process change the "size" associated with the email?

Cell phone cameras (with their awesome pin hole lenses) take garbage photos no matter how many gigapixels the manufacturers are going to insist the pictures contain.

Post the part number?

If you were looking for a support group you're barking up the wrong tree. This place is fulla enablers dude. - Shooter77us

The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the thrill of a low price has gone. - RacerX450

Comment

I change the oil every 2 or 3 months and the plugs every 2 years or so. I check the gaps every couple of months though
                        90 Bros 650... Under Construction

Comment

Here is the one I use. Got it from JD
                          HONDA PC800 PC 800 1989-1998 SPARK PLUG WRENCH OEM in eBay Motors, Parts & Accessories, Motorcycle Parts | eBay
                          1990 Red Hawk. Build in the works.
                          2006 Street legal Husaberg FS650C on slicks.
                          2005 RC51 w/Sato in the living room.
                          1967 Honda Z50 Mini Trail. Original owner.

Comment

Working...
                          X