No announcement yet.

1988 Candy Flair Blue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm running a 600RR starter switch and throttle assembly. I quite like them.
    Suzondacati Build Thread

Chain rollers, swing arm chain guides, brake hangers, etc.

Various parts for sale

Comment

Originally Posted by frinesi2 View Post
      I'm running a 600RR starter switch and throttle assembly. I quite like them.
      Still running stock controls on the LS?
      This forum is entirely dedicated to wasting time and money modifying a slow motorcycle. - joel

Nothing like a project to keep you busy, slowly draining funds out of the wallet! - spacetiger

Our Hawks have all the power any mature, sensible rider can use on any street or highway without carrying around excessively unnecessary big-bore weight and power - squirrelman

Bike builds can be and most time are art and expression. To take something mass produced and impersonal and make something personal that you can't stop staring at as you walk away. There is nothing I find more satisfying than looking at something cool and beautiful and thinking "I made that". - 6

Comment

Originally Posted by flyinelvis View Post

Still running stock controls on the LS?
        Left side is VFR400 switch set that I swapped the Hawk harness in to because I didn't want to have a useless choke lever (since my choke no longer goes to the handlebars)

There's some relevant ramblings here for the right side but the gist is I just did whatever Parc said to do.
        Last edited by frinesi2; 11-28-2022, 03:04 PM.
        Suzondacati Build Thread

Various parts for sale

Comment

Left side is VFR400 switch set that I swapped the Hawk harness in to because I didn't want to have a useless choke lever (since my choke no longer goes to the handlebars)
          I want to hear more about the choke relocation... and other switch gear... I am wanting as clean a handlebar (clip-on) setup as possible. Really into that whole minimalism thing

Comment

Originally Posted by JackalHack View Post

I want to hear more about the choke relocation... and other switch gear... I am wanting as clean a handlebar (clip-on) setup as possible. Really into that whole minimalism thing
            It's an old product that wildwhl made a few of. I'll try to get some pics. I've also been procrastinating on a coke relocation kit that repurposes a modified vtr1000 choke cable. Might be a good winter project to dust off ...
            Suzondacati Build Thread

Various parts for sale

Comment

…been procrastinating on a coke relocation kit that repurposes a modified vtr1000 choke cable. Might be a good winter project to dust off ...
              We’re all ears!

BTW, I went back thru your build thread (not a lot shaking at the race shop) today, excellent read. Did you make more progress on the EFI?
              This forum is entirely dedicated to wasting time and money modifying a slow motorcycle. - joel

Nothing like a project to keep you busy, slowly draining funds out of the wallet! - spacetiger

Our Hawks have all the power any mature, sensible rider can use on any street or highway without carrying around excessively unnecessary big-bore weight and power - squirrelman

Bike builds can be and most time are art and expression. To take something mass produced and impersonal and make something personal that you can't stop staring at as you walk away. There is nothing I find more satisfying than looking at something cool and beautiful and thinking "I made that". - 6

Comment

It's an old product that wildwhl made a few of. I'll try to get some pics. I've also been procrastinating on a coke relocation kit that repurposes a modified vtr1000 choke cable. Might be a good winter project to dust off ...
                This is the smart solution. Just need a simple bracket (laser cut at sendcutsend and bend to shape, just a suggestion). You can do eeeeetttt!

WW/R
                Life is a journey, not a destination.

Comment

Sooo, progress continues. I borrowed (OK, stole) an idea from Captain 80s for my CB-1 build a while back, utilizing the same small faring he used on his Hawk build. The problem with that fairing was that it required you to button up the headlight PRIOR to mounting the fairing (which uses the headlight mounts). This was a lesson in much frustration as it required about ten hands and a shit load of cursing to mount. Wanting to use the same style fairing on the Hawk rebuild I came up with a workable (albeit rather difficult) solution.

I purchased a couple of 8-mm, 304 stainless socket cap screws. We machined 0.050-in from the head and 0.125 off the length. That was the easy part. Next we drilled through the cap into the shank and attempted to tap for a 4-mm thread. SNAP! The stainless was cold working as the tap did it’s thing, eventually galling, resulting in a broken tap. Next up was a spiral tap, but it too was starting to reach its torsional limits. So we re-drilled 0.010-in over and the tap worked as it should. 4-mm thread hole, check!

So now I’m able to mount the headlight bucket using the 8-mm cap screws, button up the electrical connections (more on that a bit later), install the headlight, THEN utilize the 4-mm bolt with a fender washer or two to spread the load and viola! Proof of concept is achieved. Just need to shorten the 4-mm to 0.650 or so and we’ll be golden.

6C2F8197-3876-40F4-AF9F-0A13675BF85E.jpg FF225021-3536-43EB-AE43-F7032BD8E00C.jpg 74318C88-5884-4E4F-9819-746A5D96589E.jpg

Comment

Do you have to drill holes in the cowl to install the two lower headlight ring screws and collars?

EDIT: Disregard this idiot. I got it and then un-got it in seconds. Then got it again.

NICE!

I used HIgh Strength 3M to hold the inner captured nuts and my external spacers in place. Pretty easy now.
                    Last edited by Captain 80s; 12-13-2022, 07:22 PM.
                    "I couldn't afford NOT to buy it!"

Comment

Today was a BIG day! Five months to the day that I had an inattentive driver get the better of my bird (and me), I once again have a runner! Tomorrow we’re expecting temps in the low 60’s, so I hope to get her out for a short test ride. Thanks to all for their support and encouragement (I was pretty down after the crash and was considering just parting her out) but so glad I came to my senses and and went through the rebuild process . I learned a lot and will continue to learn as I work through a few bugs.

Many thanks for the words of encouragement from rpcraft along the way and significant electrical input from eyhonda and ParcNHawk. Thanks Enigma T for advice on dealing with insurance and the forum members that posted tips from years gone by.

Let’s be careful out there!

(Edit: The dent in the back of the tank just goes to prove I have Balls-O-Steel)…​

2D0E6B3A-5463-45F2-8E92-5DE320500B7B.jpg A27F0AC7-9FEF-4126-A101-408538994DAA.jpg 9648A34A-7F73-4482-905D-FB3E8EBA3409.jpg F048A6DE-274C-4329-B2BC-3B9F0378406C.jpg
                      Attached Files

Comment

Great to see that your Hawk is back on the road. Great job!
                        A good body man with a stud gun could remove the dent in the tank but you would, obviously have to refinish the tank.
                        Acta non verba

'88 Blue 99% stock SOLD
                        '88 Restomod
                        '22 Yamaha Tracer 9 GT

Comment

Working...
                        X