Project: BargainBros

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project: BargainBros

Just under a year back I had an SV 650 to sell, it was tidy enough, I had been using it to commute on for the previous 18 months, but as practical as it was, it didn't set my soul alight, it was never much more than a functional bike for a purpose. I've had a couple of bros's over the previous 15 years, the first one was my first 'big' bike, a 400, the second was one that I helped build as part of a charity build, which in the end got sold for a couple of grand with the money going to cancer research. When I was thinking of selling the SV, a guy on a forum I go on (PB mag forum) who'd stripped a bros into bits a few years earlier with the intention of doing the bros up offered me a swap. When i say a swap, this wasn't to swap for the bike, it was a swap for the cost of the ferry ticket: He'd buy the SV off me for the asking price, but I'd have to drop it off to him a few miles north of Dublin. In return for dropping it off, I'd get his bros, in bits. Sounded like the makings of a nice little project, so a road trip was arranged.

As it turned out, he'd decided to get rid of everything he had that was bros related, so I got 2 bros frames with swingarms & back wheels, a standard front end, an RVF 400 front end with custom made yokes to match the bros, RVF400 rear wheel, a wilburs shock, a bros tank, a revere tank, a bros seat, tail & subframe, about half an exhaust system, a wiring loom and cdi (from a 400), a bros 650 engine, an XRV750 engine & loom which was on a written off bike & so can't legally go back on the road (X's punched through the numbers), plus a scattering of other ancillaries which would be needed to make at least one bike up.

Now, no matter how ambitious my build was, I was never going to need 2 frames, so the rolling chassis with stock forks was sold, as was the revere tank, which meant that most of the 350 it cost me to get to Ireland & back (I'm based just outside Manchester) was paid off, the whole thing now owed me about 100. Considering the shock alone is worth that, yet alone the rear wheel which fetch serious money in the VFR400 world, I'm quids in. Bit by bit I've spent here and there to get the bike how I want it, and at times I've made mistakes, such as the silly ace bars I put on there.

The carbs have been sat for some time now so they were ultrasonically cleaned up then refitted onto new rubbers.

Reservoir flushed out and the posh shock fitted (It's not actually that posh, it's just the basic wilburs one and it feels like it wants the damping firming up)

I dusted off my old lathe skills and made up a pair of the front mounts form some aluminium bar

I then went slightly more sensible with the bars and got some woodcraft riser bars, which needed setting off by 10mm to clear the top yoke clamps. If I'm honest, as nice as the yokes are, they're also a pain in the bum; the clamps are in a stupid place and there's nowhere for the ignition to mount onto, plus the fuse box is going to need some thought about how that fits too.

So, with things progressing nicely, I sat there and thought about the general shape of the bike. it's nice, it's a pretty bike, but it's also not only small, but small looking too. I'm a big lad, I'm 6'4" and on a bros I look a bit daft. I then saw a picture of a bros with a 916 tank & tail. A little while later I've got parcels turning up off ebay...

As you can see, the subframe at the back simply is wrong for the seat, and without the oil filter box propping the tail up, the whole thing will sit too low. The tank needs something more substantial than just gravity holding it on too, mounts need to be made. I'm not a welder, but I know a man who is, so, as of tomorrow, it's going to get the tank, the subframe and an exhaust link pipe made to take the eternal project onto its next phase. Currently the whole thing owes me just short of 300, but I can expect this to double pretty soon once the bill comes in for this work. It should be worth it, with a bit of luck.

In the garage at the moment:

'89 Bros 680
    '09 Daytona 675

Excellent. Looking forward to progress.

WW
    Hiatus

Comment

Subframe mounts have been made!

The tank's got a mount at the front too

Although admittedly, it would be improved by a slightly more suitable rear mount...

The back end is (very) mocked up, awaiting the actual subframe itself. The angle on this photo's a little bit high, but only by an inch or two, we'll see how it goes when it comes to actually welding the upright part of the subframe to the more horizontal bits.

'89 Bros 680
      '09 Daytona 675

Comment

Hopefully the space under the back of the seat will be filled in a little bit by an exhaust can

'89 Bros 680
        '09 Daytona 675

Comment

that's a nice line, the ducati tank looks great!

Comment

I've been neglecting this thread a little bit, but I've got some updates. Nothing huge, but updates are updates...

A start has been made on the rear subframe:

Yes, that is a lot of gaffa tape and some lumps of wood. It's probably what all the experts use, I'm pretty certain of it.

And then a bracket has been made for the fuse holder and the new Koso clocks

'89 Bros 680
            '09 Daytona 675

Comment

It looks like in the months since I last posted, all of the pictures have vanished. Luckily, I've got some more here:

Basically there's a whole load of work happened, albeit fairly slowly as a combination of my finances and the welders work schedule would allow. What's happened is, in my opinion at least, pretty bloody good. New aluminium subframe at the back, holding the original seat lock which allows the whole tail to pop up on a hinge by the tank. Within the subframe itself is all the electrics that were originally under the seat, with the exception of the fuel pump (I'm not even sure I'm going to need one as 95% of the tank is above the carbs now anyway), although there needs to be some minor tweaking to the loom to get everything wired up correctly, specifically the heavy cables to the starter solenoid.
              Under the new subframe is an exhaust, amusingly made from stainless dairy pipe, which is then finished by an aluminium end can originally from an older R6.
              Like I say, I still need to modify the loom under the seat, similarly i need to tidy the front up and wire up the new clocks, I've also got brake hoses to go on the front, an underslung rear brake is also sat there looking for a home, so plenty to keep me occupied, but somewhere on the far flung horizon, the end is in sight.

'89 Bros 680
              '09 Daytona 675

Comment

Bike looks great! Unfortunately most of your pictures have disappeared I like to host them on Imgur and just save the links to a text file if I need them later.

I also have a Ducati seat and modded subframe. To clean up the subframe mess, I removed the fuel pump and associated plumbing and installed a Mikuni pump under the tank using one of forum member WildWhls mounting kits. Then I moved the battery under the Duc seat's "hump", and made some custom length battery and solenoid cables. You can see the difference about halfway down on this page of my oft-neglected "build" thread:

https://www.hawkgtforum.com/forum/ho...-thread/page14

88 Hawk GT

Talk big. Think small. Do nothing.

Comment

Thanks, yours is looking good too. With regards imgur etc, I can't be bothered, I'm just sticking them up on facebook, and I think they change the address periodically, hence them all going. Get 'em while they're there I suppose...
                  I'm not even sure I'm going to need a fuel pump; they're only a low pressure pump to get the bowls to fill from the bottom 3rd of the stock tank, and as this tank sits higher up, gravity should be able to do all the work for me. I may take a bit of a reappraisal of that situation as it gets further along the line though. I also need to knock myself up some battery cables; my battery's in a similar place to yours, sat just behind the seat hump, but the solenoid itself's moved too and that's right underneath the seat, quite close to the front by the tank. I should get some pictures of the whole arrangement under there, it's all very neat and retains the original ducati hinge at the front, but uses a ducati locking pin (machined down ever so slightly) into the standard honda catch, so I can keep the honda locking mechanism and it's all on the one key.
                  I had a little dabble this afternoon, fitted up a set of new brake hoses on the front, the lever's now feeling pretty firm, so that's another little job ticked off, albeit only a small one.

'89 Bros 680
                  '09 Daytona 675

Comment

Originally Posted by Lorenzo View Post
                    Thanks, yours is looking good too. With regards imgur etc, I can't be bothered, I'm just sticking them up on facebook, and I think they change the address periodically, hence them all going. Get 'em while they're there I suppose...
                    I'm not even sure I'm going to need a fuel pump; they're only a low pressure pump to get the bowls to fill from the bottom 3rd of the stock tank, and as this tank sits higher up, gravity should be able to do all the work for me. I may take a bit of a reappraisal of that situation as it gets further along the line though. I also need to knock myself up some battery cables; my battery's in a similar place to yours, sat just behind the seat hump, but the solenoid itself's moved too and that's right underneath the seat, quite close to the front by the tank. I should get some pictures of the whole arrangement under there, it's all very neat and retains the original ducati hinge at the front, but uses a ducati locking pin (machined down ever so slightly) into the standard honda catch, so I can keep the honda locking mechanism and it's all on the one key.
                    I had a little dabble this afternoon, fitted up a set of new brake hoses on the front, the lever's now feeling pretty firm, so that's another little job ticked off, albeit only a small one.
                    Gravity feed should work fine with your tank. With the stock tank, the back end of it sits below the carbs so you would never be able to use all the fuel. I'd love to see your under-seat solution. Even with all the fuel plumbing removed it's tricky to hide all the wires under the Ducati seat.
                    88 Hawk GT

Talk big. Think small. Do nothing.

Comment

I've got my tape-measure out for the new leads to and from the starter solenoid. I don't know how quickly the voltage drops over starter motor cables, I should've thought pretty quickly, so I guess I'll have to keep the battery in top condition as the cable now needs to be about 900mm long.
                      The photo is of the underside of the seat but all the surplus cable is also folded up under there too, so there's a bit more room than there looks here, the main one being the cables for the tail light, which're folded back on themselves.

'89 Bros 680
                      '09 Daytona 675

Comment

I think that regulator/rectifier needs a decent amount of airflow...

Comment

It'll certainly get more airflow there than under the side of the standard tail; it's tucked just inside of the air vent on the ducati tail. If it turns out it's getting too toasty, I'll get a mosfet one on there, which stay much cooler.

'89 Bros 680
                          '09 Daytona 675

Comment

Looking good, especially the paintjob on that seat unit!
                            Its pains me that you'll have that running well before my hawkati, but if you can get it sorted for may at anglesea it'll do the rounds just fine with my hawk...

Comment

Originally Posted by Gweenz View Post

Gravity feed should work fine with your tank. With the stock tank, the back end of it sits below the carbs so you would never be able to use all the fuel. I'd love to see your under-seat solution. Even with all the fuel plumbing removed it's tricky to hide all the wires under the Ducati seat.
                              I'm quietly temped to fit a blanking plate under my ducati tank with a standard fuel tap rather than the somewhat heavy original ducati fuel pump. Then again it's having a mille engine slung in and it'll be used mainly for trackdays so there might be a question of how much volume gets shifted under gravity alone....

Comment

Working...
                              X