The "will I put it back together again" build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The "will I put it back together again" build

I've been a bit lazy about writing this up, but it's getting to that point where if I won't, I never will.. It's funny, I use to spend so much time looking through build threads and HOTM competition on this forum, dreaming of doing this (or having the money to) one day

--

A few weeks ago I kind of accidentally found myself in the possession of a 1988 Honda BROS 650, after having purchased it So after giving it a little ride, I decided to do the thing I always wanted to, back when I use to own a BROS 400 - strip it down completely and build it up to be something of my own.

The BROS, before the teardown. Its currently living in my friends garage (he's an awesome friend) - which is providing me with great motivation to actually be productive each time I go over to do some work on it.

On the left is his SV, which he plans to take to 100k. I'm going to compete with him on that once the BROS is complete...... If its ever complete :) Start of the teardown (packed away for the night).
    Look out, a beer!

So the result of todays adventures:

I drained all the engine oil and coolant, in anticipation of removing the engine from the frame. The original plan was mostly to clean everything, however I decided to finally look at the front sprocket (arguably I should have looked at it before buying the bike). I think you can anticipate where this is going...
    Look out, a beer!

Comment

Sorry for the surprise man. Good luck with the rebuild.

Comment

I often thank my lucky stars that I did not buy a fubar'd output shaft. Dumb luck. It's not something one usually needs to check on a used bike.

Comment

Well the good news is that 1. It won't break and 2. There isn't really shit u can do about it so don't do anything about it.

That sprocket will last forever. I'd keep with the build, then in the future if it bothers you change out the motor... For now.. ride it is my advice.

Swapin​Swapin motors is a 45 min excersise. Your not creating too much work by puting pu back in and swapping when budget allowes .

Just my opinion. Psyched to see the build. Good luck man.
          Last edited by 6; 03-15-2018, 12:35 AM.
          Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

Comment

I was wondering about that. If the sprocket is not in bad shape, why not just leave it?

Comment

I would also leave it alone unless the output shaft seal or bearing is fubared.

If you were looking for a support group you're barking up the wrong tree. This place is fulla enablers dude. - Shooter77us

The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the thrill of a low price has gone. - RacerX450

Try and separate a man from his soul. You only strengthen him and lose your own. - J. Newman

Comment

Wait..... Dr_Blowfin

Your avitar is a cat.... that looks like chucks cat...Your name is blowfin.... Chuck's cat is named fin... Something's fishy. Mmhmm

Comment

meow! errr... wait no i mean thank you for the advice humans!

I had a quick look around for used parts, I am planning on dropping the engine out as part of this build anyway - because everything needs a clean, but I also want to take a look at what shape the engine's in. The bike has almost 40k on the clock so I'm wondering if the engine is wanting a rebuild... But also it would be nice to clean everything (...i have a thing about this)

After I drop the engine and clean the outside, it might be easier to look at the state that everything is in. If the sprocket is ok, maybe I'll run it like that for a while, just until a cheap used countershaft appears. For my own records the part number is: 23200-MN8-000

I guess the outputshaft seals will need to be changed, but the bearings can stay (unless they're buggered)?
                  Look out, a beer!

Comment

40k is nothing. Does it pop out of gear? Compression good? Oil pressure good? Rebuilding it is (very likely) unnecessary.

What killed the output shaft splines is insufficient chain slack. That will also damage the bearings - smoke and fire.

If you were looking for a support group you're barking up the wrong tree. This place is fulla enablers dude. - Shooter77us

The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the thrill of a low price has gone. - RacerX450

Try and separate a man from his soul. You only strengthen him and lose your own. - J. Newman

Comment

Ah I only had one ride on it, but didn't notice any consistent popping out of gear or anything. The only issue was I couldn't put the bike in neutral without stopping the engine and putting it on a centerstand. But i think that was just the clutch not fully disengaging.

Yeah I remember (excessive) chain tension being an issue with these bikes, which is why I'm a bit worried about further damage if the splines went... But OTOH it would also be nice to ride this bike before 2019, so maybe I'll focus on the rest of the build and come back to this next year..
                      Look out, a beer!

Comment

Hard to find neutral can also mean it simply needs an oil change. Build it, ride it, address the output shaft later.
                        '89 Hawk a.k.a. The RallyHawk (my son's now!) | '89 Hawk a.k.a. The Deuce | Spare Parts/Dented Learner Bike | '13 Tacoma | '69 Falcon (currently getting reassembled! )

I've spent most of my money on women, beer, cars and motorcycles. The rest of it I just wasted.

Comment

Also as well as what chuck said the linkage can aslo cause shitting issues. These transmirions are pretty tough to kill.

Comment

Originally Posted by 6 View Post
                            ...the linkage can aslo cause shitting issues...
                            Iíll take your word for it! ;P

Honestly, you should aim to get this job done as cheap as possible. Either 1) Wait for a cheap motor (~300+ ship) At least youíve got spares! 2) Wait for an output shaft (More $$, GL finding 1 randomly for sale) Grind the welds off with a die grinder (Plenty of time, Have fun! Get some metal in your eye! 3) Ride Bike (Free!) Wait for 1 or 2. Tear that sh%t out and mail it back to the PO with a photo of you giving him the finger.

GL

Comment

Worn neutral switch is a cheap and easy replacement and made finding neutral considerably easier on my bike.

Comment

Working...
                              X