The Mystery Machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Mystery Machine

So i started another thead simply asking for some opinions and clarification on removing the heads. Boy did that escalate quickly! Its time i did this proper and had a place to introduce myself and journal all im doing. Maybe it will help someone someday as you all have helped me already. I picked up my heap from a member here that seems somewhat controversial....It wasnt exactly a steal, and most of you wont be suprised to find the results of it, but it was my only deal at the time and as they say; "beggars cant be choosers". I was told the engine last ran in the early 2000's and that this wasnt a parts bike for a bike i dont own but more 85% of a complete hawk (no title). I did not go into this looking for a hawk. I was just looking for any motorcycle i could get for next to nothing or on trade. The hawk seemed my kind of nerdy and i thought she was deserving of being saved if they actually did make only 2200 of these. Here she was!

2200, whereja get that number ??
    "It's only getting worse."

MY rides: '97 VFR750, '90 Red Hawk, '88 Blue/Black Hawk, '86 RWB VFR700 (3), '86 Yamaha Radian, '90 VTR250, '89 VTR250 (2), '73 CB125, '66 Yamaha YL-1

Sold: '86 FJ1200, '92 ZX-7, '90 Radian, '73 CB750, '89 all-white Hawk, '88 blue Hawk, '86 FZ600, '86 Yam Fazer 700 , '89 VTR250, '87 VFR700F2, '86 VFR700F.

Comment

The bike did come with some aftermarket parts and some spares. I figured worst case scenario; I still have nearly a spare engine and may be able to recoup some funds from parts. I did get a damaged Two Bros system and some form of 900RR rearsets (for another trade). So the most noticeable problem was the lack of a title, lights, and bodywork. I thought the tank was going to be the biggest hurdle of this project given how rare and expensive they are getting. I found one on ebay that appeared to just have a small hole in it.I made a $100 offer and won. A coworker and fabricator assured me no problem; easy fix. I passed off the tank to him to strip and repair. The whole count is now at 27....He still assures me its no problem!

With the tank out of the way (perhaps) i thought i could get to work and start tearing things down and establishing what is missing, fixable, and needs to be replaced. I figured i would start with the next most likely problem; the carb. Problem it is! I immediately find it is completely stripped. No needles, no jets, no floats, no nothing. There were diaphragms that i will be absolutely replacing, and their covers and the float bowls. But no hardware. I think im at $250 for trying to complete the carbs with the 3.0 kit and unis.

Comment

Originally Posted by squirrelman View Post
        2200, whereja get that number ??
        When i was just searching the Hawk on google i think half of the first 10 results site that number.

Comment

So ive spent most of my time cleaning things up still. Alot of time has been spent with sandpaper and various brushes trying to restore the exhaust as best as possible and clean, what i believe to be old gas from the frame. Cleaning I noticed the "rear upper engine mounting bolt" was missing entirely. Easier to remove the engine! Lets get to that. So the engine turned over by hand just fine. I figured it was time to bite the bullet and get the compression tester out. I pulled out my Lithium Ion battery from the last bike and gave her a spin! Why am i not suprised...55PSI. Looks like we're going in boys.

Comment

So before we dig into the engine; despite what it looks like im still feeling good about this project. Lets face it; everyone throws away the rear shock, swaps the forks, changes the tail, puts on a vfr wheel, and starts looking for HP. Granted im sure most do it over time and after finding out how much a joy the bike is. I still have never rode a hawk! But i figured i have most of what i really needed. I do have F2 forks (supposedly) and ive gotten the rearsets mostly fitted and it came with Telefix clip ons. So when the tank came in i got a chance to throw on the sawed in half seat and see how she fits! Im still not sure how this build is going to go. Ive done some track days in cars and live in the mountains and have a Dainese one piece. I had 2 track days scheduled for my 16 FZ09 but missed them because it was a poorly built turd and spent too many days at the dealership just out of warranty (unfortunately but fortunately i had the extended warranty). The FZ was my first and likely last new motorcycle purchase! Anyways i would love to get into track riding so the bike may take a very focused approach depending on if getting a title is going to be possible at all. I was really inspired by hawkgt650s hawk of the month! it reminds me of the planes ive seen at the air and space museum in DC and how it just takes one look at them to know exactly what they were made to do. Very focused machines!

Comment

So on to the fun part. I have never pulled and engine before. Ive done alot of wrenching on alot of things but never overhauled and engine either. My first bike my 03 SV650 i did all the usual things back then. ZX10 rear shock. GSXR-750 front end swap. R6 Throttle tube. When i moved onto my 2003 Z1000 i did my first valve adjustment. And to my 16 FZ-09 i again swapped the rear shock and upgraded all the fork internals to Andreani. Ive done all other general items. tires, bars, heated things, chains, sprockets. im pretty comfortable around motorcycles. So after the poor compression results I drain all the coolant and engine oil to begin looking into things. This is where my first suprise begins. Looking at the oil and coolant i drained out i wouldnt be suprised if this engine wasnt running last year. I would pour it right back into a running machine it looked so nice. Perhaps someone filled it with no fluids attempting to get it to run? I was told this bike hadnt been ran since the early 2000s! I next take the valve covers off and notice things look awfully shiny for nearly a 30 year old machine. I notice a stamping on the camshafts...Webcam 455 456. You know the drain plug was drilled for safety wire....im starting to get the picture!

The heads look brand new so its at this point I decide im going all in. I always wanted to build a motorcycle and it looks like this isnt going to be easy. I decide the pull the motor! it goes off without a hitch (just 2 bolts remember) but i do realize i need the 28MM O-ring at the water pipe not sold anymore. So we are pretty much current at this point. I bring the engine in my living room and get to work. Thankfully it came with the service manual. I made my thread as i was unsure about pulling the cams out and just keep making more and more discoveries. In addition to the Webcam i believe its the racing profile. The intake valves appear to be oversize. The cam gears look to be Hords slotted ones. The piston is an 80mm Cosworth unit and i havent seen any stampings on the rods yet but they aint stock.

At this point i have just broken down the front cylinder as my early compression test showed 100 at the rear. The failure seems to be heat related as theres pitting on the likely hottest part of the engine. Front cyclinder, exhaust side, and near TDC. I suppose im at a hurdle now. I need the piston evaluated as im not sure whats normal wear but theres some visible damage near the crown. At this point im leaning towards getting a 700CC kit and boring my spare cylinders. But given this isnt exactly a stock engine i dont know if im capable if getting it back together and insuring everything is as it should be. I can now no longer just slap things back together following the manual. And given someone likely spent some money on the motor id like it at peak efficiency. Given that i didnt walk into this project with a pocket full of cash. I intended it to be step by step, one piece at a time, with no deadline.

Comment

One more of the Conrods! UPDATE 7/9/18 Valve seats are done as well..... Ordered a Wiseco 696 kit though. Now to find a machinist to handle the boring and now valve seats. Reckon i can handle the valve seats anyone? The manual sure makes it looks easy. Valvetrain appears to be aftermarket as well? Intake valves are 1mm larger by my micrometer and the retainers look different.
                Last edited by mparker; 07-09-2018, 06:58 PM.

Comment

well damn, that motor turned out to have some pretty sweet stuff in it! good to see you breathe new life into her

Comment

New pistons are in! Going to try and get the cylinders to the machine shop this week.

Comment

Controversial? Lemme see.....Atlanta? I was under the impression there were about 150,00 Hawk/Bros made.

Comment

It has been an "adventure" to put it positively; as many of you probably could have guessed! Build aside for a moment, look what I found this morning!
                        Last edited by mparker; 07-15-2018, 01:34 PM.

Comment

I would love to try that.That never made it to the States.One Forum member got this far......never finished it( to our knowledge)......still sitting somewhere...as Art.

Comment

PS.....my van was "The Mystery Machine" first . Scooby-Doo to you too.

Comment

So one of the first things i did when i got the bike home was threw on the 900RR rearsets to see what fitment was going to be like. They are near a direct bolt. I did order some longer hardware for the right heal to be able to mount the master cylinder. and need to find a solution to secure the brake pedal to the master. The left side i need to space out 10mm or so to clear some contact with the swingarm. What im unsure of is if its structurally sound to just add some stainless spacers and longer hardware or if i should use a one piece spacer connecting the mounting points. Ive seen other members with adapting plates to change the position of the rearsets like most aftermarket ones but as ive still yet to ride a hawk; i was just searching for the easiest solution at this point to get them mounted. Photos attached to try and illustrate. i bought some nylon spacers to play with fitment initially.

Comment

Working...
                              X