Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Double Rebuild: Race BIke/Street Weapon

Hey Ya'll,

I've been racing my RC31 for about 10 years, off and on. It's gone through two or 3 phases from the time I bought it from Russ & Jim Grainger. Its won races, thrown me in the air, won titles, slapped me on the ground, been massaged by Kiyo, blown up ...in the end it's been the most pleasurable bike I've raced...& its time to get some things refreshed for Laguna Seca.

About 2 years ago I bought a Hawk from Chuck as a strategic pit bike and daily ride. It worked out as I've stolen parts for it at races, and was able to continue because of it. About a year ago, I had to blow that motor up...so it's time to do what I've always dreamed of...make the ultimate canyon weapon!

Stay Tuned...

P.S. That damn Triumph wont die, it has 270K miles. Just die!
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Definitely following this!

Comment

Also into this!

Comment

Cool bike and some real decent name dropping right there.

Can we get a rundown of it as she stands ?
        Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

Comment

Street Hawk
          i picked this up from Chuck as it stands. I didn't do much but ditch the stock clip-ons and rear sets to mirror what I have on the race bike; Tyga rear sets and vortex clip ons. After I blew the motor on my way to visit Doffo winery to check out their vintage motorcycles. (The Doffo boys & girls race in AHRMA) I tore the thing apart. Began cleaning up and acquiring parts.

Comment

Race Hawk

My last Race at Willow was run on a motor straight from Ebay to my bike. I had destroyed my old motor, running too lean apparently, and so I had to basically roll the dice. It worked out and I took a win on Saturday and a deflated 3rd place on Sunday. A friend and paddock mate crashed bad on Saturday in his last race and it took a toll on our crews...let's say motivation to go out on track in anger. It didn't look good, but I'm happy to say he's in recovery and doing well.
            So my plan was to take the Ebay motor that had been battle tested and clean it up and either paint, powder coat or Cerakote some key parts on the Ebay gem. This set me out on a hunt for a donor motor to rebuild. I ran into a bit of luck and acquired a Japan version of the Hawk Motor with the close ratio transmission I've been coveting. I began cleaning it up and getting it ready to take apart to do a mild refresh on it; new pistons, cylinders, valve job, and whatnot. I'm excited to see what the close ratio transmission feels like as this was the main drive for getting that motor. I had some friends come over to help pull the Ebay Motor and slap in the refreshed Japan Motor so I could set it off to the Dyno Tuner. Well, it appears that there are a few different parts on the Japan motor (let me know if any of you experts know what else is different) because the Dyno charts show a ton of torque then a sharp drop off...no good. Looks like I'm going to have to sift through my Cam collection and try again today. This motor needs to be Next Gen Superbike Lightweight legal, so it will have to be a stock cam from an American version, or if there are any other versions you guys know about, I'm all ears. Check out the cool sticker in Japanese!

Comment

You can see a list of other stock cams that will fit here, don't know if they'll be legal in your class:

https://www.hawkgtforum.com/forum/ho...638#post398638

Comment

Thanks Jan, I believe I can only run stock cams, so I am dropping in a good stock cam to see how it fares on the Dyno.

Comment

Sub'd!

Comment

Race Hawk.

Started to do the patchwork scheme on the fresh tank. You can see my old tank in the background of the kitchen shot. That tank sprang more leaks than a porcupines raincoat...so it had to be retired.
                    What do ya'll think. The RC31 Logo above the Grey Stripe, or the Honda Wings or the Hawk Logo???
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Root; 06-10-2021, 10:25 AM.

Comment

No picture showed up in the post???

Comment

Hmm, it's showing for me. Anyone else missing the many pictures I've posted?

Comment

No pic for me in post #10
                          "I couldn't afford NOT to buy it!"

Comment

I can see one picture in post no.1, nothing else, except a distorted icon in post no.10.

Comment

Nothing showing for me on post #10.
                              ASMA #139

Comment

Working...
                              X