Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Speedo Cable Noise

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Speedo Cable Noise

    Has anyone ever found the speedo cable making noise? There is a slight whining sound coming from the front of the bike, but only above 50mph or so and will sometimes just go away. The only thing moving in that area would be the speedo cable. The only sound that it is close to would be a water pump bearing type noise, but this is up top not down low as best as I can tell. I check the tightness of the cable, but maybe some extra lube down the cable?
    Retired AFM / WERA #555

    #2
    Originally Posted by rogue555 View Post
    Has anyone ever found the speedo cable making noise? There is a slight whining sound coming from the front of the bike, but only above 50mph or so and will sometimes just go away. The only thing moving in that area would be the speedo cable. The only sound that it is close to would be a water pump bearing type noise, but this is up top not down low as best as I can tell. I check the tightness of the cable, but maybe some extra lube down the cable?
    Ya, i was going to suggest some cable lube. I rarely run the hawk stock spedo, but I've use the white lightning one for bikes on other spedo cables.

    Someone else may be able to me more useful.
    Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

    Comment


      #3
      needs lube but don't let it get near the top end.
      "It's only getting worse."


      MY rides: '97 VFR750, '90 Red Hawk, '88 Blue/Black Hawk, '86 RWB VFR700 (3), '86 Yamaha Radian, '90 VTR250, '89 VTR250 (2), '73 CB125, '66 Yamaha YL-1

      Sold: '86 FJ1200, '92 ZX-7, '90 Radian, '73 CB750, '89 all-white Hawk, '88 blue Hawk, '86 FZ600, '86 Yam Fazer 700 , '89 VTR250, '87 VFR700F2, '86 VFR700F.

      Comment


        #4
        Could be the speedo drive too. I would lube that too while you are at it.
        Brian - Richland, WA
        1991 Hawk GT
        1997 VFR

        Comment


          #5
          It might also be the sound of the stock rotor with HH pads. I noticed that on the first Hawk I put them on and haven't had a stock front end on one in a long long time to say with confidence that was the issue but when I had that whirring sound the brake pads were the only thing I had changed at that time.
          88 Blue Hawk GT - Under construction but rideable (guest approved)
          89 BlackHawk 2.0 - On the lift and being assembled
          90 Hawk GT (color as to yet be determined) - Still on the shelf in crates

          Comment


            #6
            Originally Posted by bk94si View Post
            Could be the speedo drive too. I would lube that too while you are at it.
            yes, pull out the plastic gear to clean and lube.
            "It's only getting worse."


            MY rides: '97 VFR750, '90 Red Hawk, '88 Blue/Black Hawk, '86 RWB VFR700 (3), '86 Yamaha Radian, '90 VTR250, '89 VTR250 (2), '73 CB125, '66 Yamaha YL-1

            Sold: '86 FJ1200, '92 ZX-7, '90 Radian, '73 CB750, '89 all-white Hawk, '88 blue Hawk, '86 FZ600, '86 Yam Fazer 700 , '89 VTR250, '87 VFR700F2, '86 VFR700F.

            Comment


              #7
              Running wave rotor with fancy pads. I will look, but I am almost certain it is speedo related. I will pull the front apart next weekend and do an inspection, clean, and rebuild. Thanks dooods.
              Retired AFM / WERA #555

              Comment


                #8
                Originally Posted by rogue555 View Post
                Running wave rotor with fancy pads. I will look, but I am almost certain it is speedo related. I will pull the front apart next weekend and do an inspection, clean, and rebuild. Thanks dooods.
                Tru spinning it with a drill and see if you can hear where it's at..
                Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Disconnect the speedo cable at the bottom end and test ride bike.
                  If noise is gone speedo cable is most likely the cause.
                  Last edited by Ziggy; 12-28-2021, 01:49 PM.
                  Acta non verba


                  '88 Blue 99% stock SOLD
                  '88 Restomod
                  '16 Yamaha FJ-09

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Ziggy, so daring. I might just try that if it is still present after a clean and rebuild.
                    Retired AFM / WERA #555

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Inspected and found that it was nice and clean, but too clean and really not enough lube. I must have put that together at night. lol
                      I added lube to the plastic wheel section (TY squirrel) and two small sprays of TriFlo from the top of the cable holding it vertical and spinning the wheel so it works its way down while rotating.

                      30 miles and didn't hear anything yet. I will monitor for awhile and then forget it even happened.

                      I also cleaned up the back side of my gauges. I lost one of the cool rubbers that seal the gauge at the fastener, so I cut a small piece of vacuum line and fit it into the position of the original seal, used some Nylocs and shined up the og washers. Looks clean now, so a nice mini improvement. Side effect was that my gauges stopped rotating ever so slightly. The aged rubber seals allow the old nut to bottom out before they really secure the gauge. I don't really ride in the rain or intend to with the Hawk so I am not terribly concerned at this point.

                      Cheers!
                      Retired AFM / WERA #555

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X