Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2nd Time Around Refresh

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    2nd Time Around Refresh

    So this may be the worlds lamest build thread, as my new Hawk (88 Blue) is super low miles and clean, and I don't plan on modding it much, but I figured I should at least document it and will give a place to track what I've done.

    Per my introduction, this is a nearly identical bike to the one that I bought in the early 90s, road cross country, through college, and only sold it when I moved to NYC. And immediately and forever regretted it. Over the years I've had a bunch of other bikes, and while I've liked them a lot, none scratched the Hawk itch. So, I started looking around about a year ago, and finally found the one - Blue, 88, low miles (9600) and in great shape. The only issues I can find, besides dry-rotted tires, hideous 70s round chrome mirrors & a few little cosmetic things, are seriously leaky fork seals and carbs that need a good cleaning. It even looks like someone replaced brake/fuel/radiator hoses at some point, as the visible ones are all nicely flexible and in good shape (although they will probably get replaced anyway at some point)

    This is what it looked like when I got it home and into the garage - and yeah, that's the only work space I have!
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

    #2
    That's in pretty nice shape. Compared to the rust bucket I got.

    Comment


      #3
      I like to start every project with a quick, easy, and visible fix. For some reason that helps with getting momentum to do the bigger projects. For this one, the obvious thing was the mirrors - the ones the PO had on there were hideous! Maybe not the best pics, but below are before and after. I just used some cheap knock offs of current stock Honda CB mirrors (I don't really like bar end mirrors much) - they might get replaced again later, but I kinda like them and they give decent visibility).
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 2 photos.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally Posted by Maritime View Post
        That's in pretty nice shape. Compared to the rust bucket I got.
        Thanks! Yeah, really wanted to start with something clean. My last car resto has dragged on for years, and frankly, I've gotten bored with it and completely lost momentum. I decided for this one that I wanted something with projects to be done, but I want it to be mostly stuff I can do over time while actually enjoying it.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally Posted by Maritime View Post
          That's in pretty nice shape. Compared to the rust bucket I got.
          I've been following your build, and its making great progress!

          Comment


            #6
            Originally Posted by zipster View Post
            So this may be the worlds lamest build thread, as my new Hawk (88 Blue) is super low miles and clean, and I don't plan on modding it much, but I figured I should at least document it and will give a place to track what I've done.

            Per my introduction, this is a nearly identical bike to the one that I bought in the early 90s, road cross country, through college, and only sold it when I moved to NYC. And immediately and forever regretted it. Over the years I've had a bunch of other bikes, and while I've liked them a lot, none scratched the Hawk itch. So, I started looking around about a year ago, and finally found the one - Blue, 88, low miles (9600) and in great shape. The only issues I can find, besides dry-rotted tires, hideous 70s round chrome mirrors & a few little cosmetic things, are seriously leaky fork seals and carbs that need a good cleaning. It even looks like someone replaced brake/fuel/radiator hoses at some point, as the visible ones are all nicely flexible and in good shape (although they will probably get replaced anyway at some point)

            This is what it looked like when I got it home and into the garage - and yeah, that's the only work space I have!
            That's a nice '88 Hawk. The mirror change looks good. Seems like you got a good one there!

            Comment


              #7
              Welcome!

              Waiter, more CoolAid!

              Ahem! Mr. Zipster, you are living the dream! A low mileage, almost totally stock Hawk GT, in BLUE!

              Thanks for starting this thread .... I had a blue one and regretted letting it go ... so I’ll follow you
              Bi-Coastal U.S.A.: Los Angeles, CA and Long Island, NY

              Comment


                #8
                Welcome and nice bike.

                I think sometimes it's better to do 100 small projects compared to a complete tear down.

                Especially with spring around the corner....
                Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Thx! Bit more update (honestly it's from the weekend and I'm just getting caught up!). I removed the wheels (the axle collar was really stuck and stumped me for a while) to put on new rubber, and pulled the forks and sent them off to Hord for a rebuild/upgrade. I was really pleased to see just how clean things are - the rear hub and axle look like they just came from the factory! Next it's time to dig into the carbs - just a straight rebuild for now. She kinda looks sad without all her parts!

                  You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 3 photos.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Very good idea to start with a nice Blue example and stock Hawk. I did that too after selling one and regretting it for a few years.

                    I noticed your switch gear housings are faded. I have had luck using a small paint brush and brushing ArmorAll (or something that restores black) and letting it soak in and do it several times.

                    For protecting the nice tank paint from my belt buckles, I went to tenting window place that also puts on clear film protector for front of new cars and bought a small piece and cut it and that is on my tanks at the back. I like it because it blends well without hiding the color.

                    ​​​​​​​If you don't have any metal polish, Mothers Mag and Wheel polish works well. I use it with 0000 steal wool or 2000 grit sandpaper to clean the SS headers.

                    Hord fork work is a great start for better handling. ​​​​​​​Have fun and post more pictures as you go.
                    Bill,
                    88 Blue Hawk (bike #39), 89 Red Hawk, 2021 Rebel 1100 (bike 41) Some Past/sold in reverse order:,FZ09,97 Magna #1&2 , 97 VFR750F, 87 VFR400R, 88 Hawk, 86 SRX 600, 77 RD400, 79 CB650, 04 VFR, 88 Blue Hawk, 89 Red Hawk, Yamaha SRX600, Harley 1200C, Yamaha RD400, Harley 883R, Yamaha 750 triple, Vlx600, Honda 450, Honda 400, CB550F, Kawasaki H1, BMW R69US, Yamaha R5C 350, Honda 160, Bridgestone 175, 1950 Harley 74 w/sidecar, 65 Harley 250 Sprint, 1948 Harley and my 1st bike-1941 Harley 74 knucklehead my dad gave in1963.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally Posted by zipster View Post

                      I've been following your build, and its making great progress!
                      Thanks, I will hopefully get the sewing machine out tonight and get the new cover made. We'll see, I got the template made last night then "Honey Do" took over LOL

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally Posted by BillnOroville View Post
                        Very good idea to start with a nice Blue example and stock Hawk. I did that too after selling one and regretting it for a few years.

                        I noticed your switch gear housings are faded. I have had luck using a small paint brush and brushing ArmorAll (or something that restores black) and letting it soak in and do it several times.

                        For protecting the nice tank paint from my belt buckles, I went to tenting window place that also puts on clear film protector for front of new cars and bought a small piece and cut it and that is on my tanks at the back. I like it because it blends well without hiding the color.

                        ​​​​​​​If you don't have any metal polish, Mothers Mag and Wheel polish works well. I use it with 0000 steal wool or 2000 grit sandpaper to clean the SS headers.

                        Hord fork work is a great start for better handling. ​​​​​​​Have fun and post more pictures as you go.
                        Just don't use steel wool and the polish on the alloy, it will leave behind micro bits of steel and that will rust and turn your polished alloy into yuck. Works fine like Bill says though on pipes and fork chrome uppers etc. SimiChrome is another good one for pipes and fork uppers.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally Posted by BillnOroville View Post
                          I noticed your switch gear housings are faded. I have had luck using a small paint brush and brushing ArmorAll (or something that restores black) and letting it soak in and do it several times.
                          Never tried armor all, but I have had great luck with vasoline. Use a paper towel and rub it in with a good bit of pressure, work it in there real well for a while, polish it off and they come back to life.
                          Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally Posted by 6 View Post

                            Never tried armor all, but I have had great luck with vasoline. Use a paper towel and rub it in with a good bit of pressure, work it in there real well for a while, polish it off and they come back to life.
                            I have to try this! Never though of using vasoline to restore plastic.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Shin-estu honda (pure silicone) grease or better yet 303 aerospace protection - a product designed specifically for plastics.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X