1990 NT650 for A.Q.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1990 NT650 for A.Q.

Starting ANOTHER build thread, and yes I know - I've not been good at keeping these updated. This will not necessarily be a full build thread, perhaps more of a refresh. Young man AQ is active duty Marine, and friend of my sons. Truth is he's a rockstar that makes me proud to be an American. Anyway, this bike was owned by EF. In fact, I kind of think I owned it once before. Has been resprayed in red, and needs some TLC but will for sure make a great start to AQ's riding career.

I'll rip her up to Virginia City today if I have time, to validate a few things before making many adjustments. Appears to be jetted pretty fat. Needs brake pads. Otherwise just cosmetic stuff.

BTW, seller (MrSpoo) is a very nice man and would be a good addition to this community - but he'll wand to build a 696cc version to better suit him. I'll also let him take her for a spin once we've gone through her, but plan to let AQ do most of the hands on later this month.

There's a nice (new) Hyperpro shock mounted, however the spring rate is for a rider much larger than AQ. Will decide what to do there later - but if anyone has a decent Fox, Penske, Ohlins, Hyperpro, etc. let me know (new rider will be 150 lbs wet, this one is sprung for I think 220 lbs - I forget).

WW/R

(PS - better pics at a later date, and apologies for all the crap in the background)

Screen Shot 2022-05-05 at 8.29.47 AM.png
    Life is a journey, not a destination.

Also has a neat little bikini fairing thing, and I absolutely love the envelope with decals from Jas. Such a great little small community and all of the bits that have names on it either on the bike or in the bucket of spares, are people I've known for a decade or more now.

Comment

Very nice.
      O look forward to Bill not shirking his duties and actually updating this thread.

Comment

Originally Posted by wildwhl View Post
        Starting ANOTHER build thread, and yes I know - I've not been good at keeping these updated. This will not necessarily be a full build thread, perhaps more of a refresh. Young man AQ is active duty Marine, and friend of my sons. Truth is he's a rockstar that makes me proud to be an American. Anyway, this bike was owned by EF. In fact, I kind of think I owned it once before. Has been resprayed in red, and needs some TLC but will for sure make a great start to AQ's riding career.

I'll rip her up to Virginia City today if I have time, to validate a few things before making many adjustments. Appears to be jetted pretty fat. Needs brake pads. Otherwise just cosmetic stuff.

BTW, seller (MrSpoo) is a very nice man and would be a good addition to this community - but he'll wand to build a 696cc version to better suit him. I'll also let him take her for a spin once we've gone through her, but plan to let AQ do most of the hands on later this month.

There's a nice (new) Hyperpro shock mounted, however the spring rate is for a rider much larger than AQ. Will decide what to do there later - but if anyone has a decent Fox, Penske, Ohlins, Hyperpro, etc. let me know (new rider will be 150 lbs wet, this one is sprung for I think 220 lbs - I forget).

WW/R

(PS - better pics at a later date, and apologies for all the crap in the background)

Screen Shot 2022-05-05 at 8.29.47 AM.png
        I have a new Ohlins spring that I think is a little over 1000#. Bought it 15 yrs ago and never used. Let me know if you want pictures or measurements to see if it works.
        Last edited by harpo; 05-05-2022, 01:24 PM.

Comment

They'd both hate me for putting it here - but here's AQ on the left, and my youngest on the right. Had a bit of an outing at Xmas for some fine food....some people's kids (ha!).

WW/R

Screen Shot 2022-05-05 at 7.57.37 PM.png

Comment

Definitely makes me happy this made it into your, and eventually AQs hands.

Cheers

Comment

Brief update - took care of a few small items. Better mirrors, new brake pads, Cush drive rubbers, adjusted the suspension a bit for a lighter weight rider. The jetting is incorrect for this altitude, in my opinion (150/150/42) but the Supertrapp exhaust is always a bit tricky to tune anyway. For a new rider it will do just fine. For my 180 lbs with gear butt, I can climb up my favorite hill on the McCarran loop accelerating the whole way in 5th gear without any stumbles and still have some oomph leftover at 90+ mph leaned over (in a 50 mph zone, so you know - gotta draw the line somewhere).

AQ will be here in 2 weeks and get introduced. If for some reason he's not in love with it - it can just live here.

Fun bike that just needs a little TLC (I'd estimate there's ~10% of the top end power missing due to current jetting/exhaust setup)/

WW/R

Comment

Originally Posted by wildwhl View Post
                Brief update - took care of a few small items. Better mirrors, new brake pads, Cush drive rubbers, adjusted the suspension a bit for a lighter weight rider. The jetting is incorrect for this altitude, in my opinion (150/150/42) but the Supertrapp exhaust is always a bit tricky to tune anyway. For a new rider it will do just fine. For my 180 lbs with gear butt, I can climb up my favorite hill on the McCarran loop accelerating the whole way in 5th gear without any stumbles and still have some oomph leftover at 90+ mph leaned over (in a 50 mph zone, so you know - gotta draw the line somewhere).

AQ will be here in 2 weeks and get introduced. If for some reason he's not in love with it - it can just live here.

Fun bike that just needs a little TLC (I'd estimate there's ~10% of the top end power missing due to current jetting/exhaust setup)/

WW/R
                Sweet that it's resurrection had came. And sounds pretty capable from your writing.

It's not a bad thing leaving something on the table for a new rider to find/do. That's a nice learning project should he decided to re jet and get that last bit out of it.

Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

Comment

Originally Posted by 6 View Post

Sweet that it's resurrection had came. And sounds pretty capable from your writing.

It's not a bad thing leaving something on the table for a new rider to find/do. That's a nice learning project should he decided to re jet and get that last bit out of it.
                  AQ arrives Friday to have a look, register, and hopefully ride it a bit this weekend. I have a care package together of jets, spares, etc. and will teach him the basics before it heads to SoCal to live it's next chapter.

WW/R

Comment

Teach a man to fish...

And he gets pissed when his shoes get wet???

Or something like that.
                    Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

Comment

Updates? Always happy to have a new rider in the club!
                      Flock of Hawks | '13 Tacoma | '69 Falcon (currently getting reassembled!)
                      I've spent most of my money on women, beer, cars and motorcycles. The rest of it I just wasted.

Comment

AQ and his father both enjoyed the bike over the weekend while he was on leave. He will be back in a couple of weeks for more riding time. Turns out his younger brother will get his feet wet with his bike too. Hawks are fantastic bikes at setting the hook!

WW/R

Comment

Thank you for inviting me to the thread. I’m the AQ that wildwhl is referring to. I’m glad to be welcomed with open arms into this community. I’ve been looking to get my bike shipped to San Diego in late July. Does anyone have any recommendations for companies to ship my bike? I’ve reached out to many companies and some of them seem sketchy asking for a deposit and I’ve heard of stories where the company demands more money on delivery. I just want a company that is relatively cheap and trustworthy. I’ve been quoted $400 by a sketchy company and $550 by a less sketchy company. Any help is appreciated.

As well, I was looking to switch the halogen headlight bulb with an LED bulb; does anyone have recommendations for this replacement? Thank you and have a great day!

- Krispy

Comment

Originally Posted by Krispy View Post
                            Thank you for inviting me to the thread. I’m the AQ that wildwhl is referring to. I’m glad to be welcomed with open arms into this community. I’ve been looking to get my bike shipped to San Diego in late July. Does anyone have any recommendations for companies to ship my bike? I’ve reached out to many companies and some of them seem sketchy asking for a deposit and I’ve heard of stories where the company demands more money on delivery. I just want a company that is relatively cheap and trustworthy. I’ve been quoted $400 by a sketchy company and $550 by a less sketchy company. Any help is appreciated.

As well, I was looking to switch the halogen headlight bulb with an LED bulb; does anyone have recommendations for this replacement? Thank you and have a great day!

- Krispy
                            Hi Krispy.

WW/R

Comment

Glad you decided to keep it and take care of it! Enjoy it! You got a great head start! When I was shopping, Uship seemed to be the most reasonable but I don't have first hand experience. There shipping jobs are bided on. You pick who you want to do the job. I've only had one bike shipped to me and it was by Fedex freight. I picked it up at the airport. It was cheaper because it was not door to door.
                              Eric Y.
                              NT663/VFR800/CBR600F4i
                              Yuzon Designworks

Comment

Working...
                              X