X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just took it for a spin....

Hi Folks; Yep a noob for sure....

As an into, I'll go ahead and spew....

First, I'm not really a street rider... I've been racing moto and off road for 35 years. Had tons of motocross bikes, never a road bike. Well untill now.

As a sad note, my dear friend Frank, loss his battle with the big"C". God I miss him. 4 or 5 years ago, Frank sold his old house and moved in with his new wife, Terry. So we had to move his Hawk to my place, the "barn" in the back. Frank always told me that I could ride the Hawk, but I never did cuz I didn't want hurt his bike. So I though that I would get the Hawk up and running so that I could sell it for Terry. That's when it all came to be....I fell in love with the Hawk and Terry though that it would not find a better home.

So, now I have a street bike.....

I cleaned the carbs, changed the fluids, scrubbed and pampered. I took through the neigborhood last night for a ride. Man, it is a nice bike!!!

I did find this forum and have already pulled down the shop manual. How cool is that !!!

So the Hawk is a '89 model....red...stock except the Corbin seat....8K on the odo. Looks real good, and runs now.

Still not sure about being a roadie, but at least I have a sweet bike.

Well, so much for the intro, I'm sure I be back with a bunch of dumb questions.....bare with me.

tootles....

moto.
    Ride Hard....

or Ride Home Alone

Hawks have this wonderful karma thing to them... they tend to find good people!!! Welcome to the forum and I'm sure your friend Frank is glad it's being ridden by you and not a stranger.
    1988 "BlackHawk" project
    1989 "RallyHawk" is Chuck's now!
    1988 "The Gray" Tempest Gray Metallic stocker

I can't tell you how peaceful it is. Shinya Kimura
    People who know ride Hawks. Riot

Comment

Pamper the the bike, and she'll love you right back...
      Sorry about your friend, but I think he would have loved
      to see you ride and enjoy it... Welcome aboard...
      1989 type I - F2 front end - Technoflex rear shock - K&N Filter - Dynojet kit - Braking Discs - Rizoma indicators - Rizoma mirrors - hiperform exhaust... hmmm what's next?!

Comment

Yea, it was the Karma..... it sucked me in before I ever rode the bike.

Went for my real first ride last night, very nice! The Texas hill country is a great place to ride anything.

Now I need to get some street gear.... new helmet, cover, jacket..... it's like starting all over! Got my eye on a monza red shoei.....

my list of dumb guestions is growing......

Thanks for the welcome!!!!

moto......
        Ride Hard....

or Ride Home Alone

Comment

ahah its alright dude they arnt dumb questions they are ignorant ones. like mine cuz im a total newbie
          Avatar courtesy of http://www.elizabethraab.com/
          1988 Honda Hawk NT650 GT

Comment

Shop at newenough.com and they'll donate $1 for every order to THIS FORUM!!!
            1988 "BlackHawk" project
            1989 "RallyHawk" is Chuck's now!
            1988 "The Gray" Tempest Gray Metallic stocker

I can't tell you how peaceful it is. Shinya Kimura
            People who know ride Hawks. Riot

Comment

dude, just ride the bike...

not the same as motorcross or trails, but its a rush all to itself.

Comment

your friend's love for his bike lives on through you.

one's first ride on a hawk (as mine did) might lead to some disappointment, since this bike feels very weak at low engine speeds. you need to look at the torque curve for this motor to see that power is made from about 3500 rpm up to redline. best to keep revs in 4000-6000 range, surfing the torque curve for zippiest performance.........
                "It's only getting worse."

MY rides: '97 VFR750, '90 Red Hawk, '88 Blue/Black Hawk, '86 RWB VFR700 (3), '86 Yamaha Radian, '90 VTR250, '89 VTR250 (2), '73 CB125, '66 Yamaha YL-1

Sold: '86 FJ1200, '92 ZX-7, '90 Radian, '73 CB750, '89 all-white Hawk, '88 blue Hawk, '86 FZ600, '86 Yam Fazer 700 , '89 VTR250, '87 VFR700F2, '86 VFR700F.

Comment

I'll check out newenough.....

and I sure was't disappointed...... been on a few bigger bikes, but this one seems perfect for me..... It fits my riding skills(or lack of).

The more time I get on the Hawk, the more I fell at home on it. Some road bikes, I never really got comfortable on. This thing is just easy to ride.

Now if only the rain would stop!!!!

doug.....
                  Ride Hard....

or Ride Home Alone

Comment

and I sure was't disappointed...... been on a few bigger bikes, but this one seems perfect for me..... It fits my riding skills(or lack of).

The more time I get on the Hawk, the more I fell at home on it. Some road bikes, I never really got comfortable on. This thing is just easy to ride.

doug.....
                    Ride Hard....

or Ride Home Alone

Comment

Originally Posted by motopail

doug.....
                      yea.. they're real sweethearts to ride.

ive had a few bikes... and none of them had any real... i donno.. soul to them.. they're toys.. just bikes.. you ride them... but you never really become a part of them.
                      i was never sad when i sold them... but i could never let my hawk go... they kinda get under your skin and stick..
                      just so easy to ride.. you dont have a problem jumping on and going to the store.. or to work.. or anywhere... but when you wanna have a little fun, shes into that too.
                      like any girl, she'll bite ya if you're not careful.... but shes more easygoing then most.

Comment

I've never really left.... After all this time, I just got clear title and now I'm a legal beagle!!!

motopail.

Comment

So:
                          motopail = sockpuppet?

Originally Posted by sockpuppet View Post
                          I've never really left.... After all this time, I just got clear title and now I'm a legal beagle!!!

motopail.
                          Jeremy
                          '88 grey

Honda Hawk GT NT650...photo blog
                          "...you gonna bark all day little doggie. . .or are you gonna bite?"

Comment

yep....sockpuppet is me...motopail

I have not been able to recove my pass word..need help

Comment

well...I'm motopail again!!!!

still a noob.... just an older one!
                              Ride Hard....

or Ride Home Alone

Comment

Working...
                              X